Author Topic: SPOILER: The Other Rehearsed Song  (Read 1024 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
SPOILER: The Other Rehearsed Song
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:54:01 AM »
As we all know, the band rehearsed an acoustic version of 'Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World' last week but (THANKFULLY, in my view) have yet to perform it. Willie Williams in his excellent returned tour diaries seems to indicate that a return, while not yet there, is probably imminent; (He also once again crushes the hopes of Drowning Man

The most ambitious of these is an idea for Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World, a song from Achtung Baby that hasn’t seen the light of day since ZooTV.  The idea is  sort of a cross between ‘Party Girl’ and the ‘Video Confessional’.  To pull this off  is technically proving to be about the most complicated thing we’ve ever done, so we’re not going to go public with it right away, in case it goes the way of the much rehearsed but never performed ‘Drowning Man’. Hopefully once we get the system down, all will fall into place.

I must admit, even though I despise the song and generally hate acoustic versions even more, I am quite curious to see what this is! ...Although hopefully not at my show!

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: SPOILER: The Other Rehearsed Song
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:56:51 AM »
Intriguing! And yeah I agree with you there - burn the acoustic set. Let it make way for some Pop/ Zooropa!

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:02:48 AM »
I make a sole exception for North Star because it's new and we don't yet know that it sounds better non-acoustic. Though it probably does. :P

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »
maybe this has something to do with the fan videos that u2.com was asking people to submit

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »
Since MOS is encouragement to those who are barely holding on, as Bono says in the Pasadena video, why not precede or follow it with a full "Drowning Man"? Come on, U2 -- "Drowning Man" is actually more hopeful than MOS, and at that late stage in the concert, you don't have to worry about depressing people.

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Intriguing! And yeah I agree with you there - burn the acoustic set. Let it make way for some Pop/ Zooropa!

Yes!  :D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »
Acoustic <3

Its such an intimate moment between our favorite guitarist and favorite singer :)

Stuck in a Moment from the Rose Bowl, the joking before the song, the harmonizing in the final verse, Bono reaching out across the stage to Edge...thats so perfect :)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
And by the way, I'd love to hear an acoustic TTTYAATW.  Switch off between IALW and that

Offline Mandles

• Elevated
  • It's that time of year again!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:53 PM »
I dig the acoustic stuff, but I was raised on a lot of folk music, etc. so feels very comfortable to me.  As far as TTTYAATW, there were some great moments with that song during ZooTV, but they had little to do with the song.  I'm not so sure it would work acoustic and without a bottle of bubbly or Bono dancing with a fan.