Author Topic: The Best Advice I got before a concert  (Read 9016 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: The Best Advice I got before a concert
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »
Uplate, I just wanted to be sure I said I meant no disrespect to anyone who has to wear the adult diapers.  I just heard of people that have tried them in these type of situations.

I think my best strategy is just simply not drinking. That seems to work best for me.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 04:08:05 AM »
The best advice I got for attending a U2 concert was to show up early and enjoy the day in the GA line. I've always had a great time waiting in line and meeting the fans around me who have always been great.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 04:43:32 AM »
If you're an Australian travelling to shows in the US, take a football.

An Aussie rules ball.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

you'll make loads of new friends as most won't know what it is and you get to laugh at a bunch of Americans who can't kick it properly  :D

(I'm sure a few people on here joined in with me on the grass outside the Rosebowl)

But the best advice I can give to anyone, for both your own benefit and the benefit of others is this...

DO NOT FILM ENTIRE SONGS ON YOUR CELLPHONE/VIDEO CAMERA/DIGITAL CAMERA

1. It's annoying for people behind you
2. Did you really want to watch a show through a screen?
3. The quality, sound and video, even on Hi-Def devices is crap
4. You stand very still so that the camera doesn't shake. Is that a good way to watch a concert?
5. It looks ridiculous, a sea of iPhones being held up
6. You will be so concerned about getting good footage that you will forget all about having a good time
7. There isn't a point 7 because the first 6 were so compelling.

STOP THE FILMING

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The tips on linking arms, cheap chairs & bringing bottle caps are A+. I will keep them in mind for the future.   
I dont think I have really have any good tips except look at a map of the venue before hand to have a plan & be familiar with the layout.
For ladies I dont bring my purse in, I just put keys/phone in pockets & money/ID/ticket in my bra. 
Yep, I'm klassy like that.

I need to get one of these, its called a RackTrap. Its a little wallet you can put in your bra.

Ticket in the bra, brilliant!! 

Yep! That way you always know where its at. Not a big chance of it falling out/being lost. Altho I kinda got a funny look frm the ticket taker at my U2 concert. I just shrugged & said "It works, thats how I do." lol.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 02:07:16 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

you'll make loads of new friends as most won't know what it is and you get to laugh at a bunch of Americans who can't kick it properly  :D

Watching Americans kicking a ball is always good for a laugh.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »

Watching Americans kicking a ball is always good for a laugh.

This one is for TD  :P   This one is for Briscoe  :P   Bet we have better throwers  ;D   ;)  Our great quarterbacks can complete a Hail Mary pass that would really amaze you!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »
But the best advice I can give to anyone, for both your own benefit and the benefit of others is this...

DO NOT FILM ENTIRE SONGS ON YOUR CELLPHONE/VIDEO CAMERA/DIGITAL CAMERA

1. It's annoying for people behind you
2. Did you really want to watch a show through a screen?
3. The quality, sound and video, even on Hi-Def devices is crap
4. You stand very still so that the camera doesn't shake. Is that a good way to watch a concert?
5. It looks ridiculous, a sea of iPhones being held up
6. You will be so concerned about getting good footage that you will forget all about having a good time
7. There isn't a point 7 because the first 6 were so compelling.

STOP THE FILMING

Agreed!

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
I would also agree, but I'm poor and can only go to a couple of concerts a year so I'm also a little thankful for those who film and share.

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2010, 07:03:45 PM »
to stay a little while in the arena to let the other people get out so i dont have to sit in traffic

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2010, 07:09:33 PM »
I would also agree, but I'm poor and can only go to a couple of concerts a year so I'm also a little thankful for those who film and share.

I do understand this argument, but the shaky camera work, crappy audio... it's not worth it for mine.

really, just remember the songs in your head, where they are always is full HD with surround sound :-)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:43 PM »
Yeah, but then you'll forget after a while.

Monica does have a good point. Plus, it means that these tours are much more documented than tours in the early 2000's and before (ya know how hard it is to find U2 Pittsburgh concert footage?!  :D)

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »
Another piece of specific advice for anyone who ever goes to events at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena again...

shell out the $60 for premium parking.

Yes, it's a lot of money.

But it was THE single best investment you could possibly make outside a ticket in my opinion. The parking lot was paved, brilliantly managed, close to the stadium (handy for running things like footballs and food back after the lineup), and we were out and back in west hollywood in no time at all. Just the smoothest exit from a 95,000 crowd event I've ever been a part of, especially with the lack of public transport in the area and Los Angeles folks neverending love of the motor car.

we wouldn't have spent 10 mins getting out of the car park and on to the 110. Sensational.

Regular parking @$20 I'm led to believe was a far different story...

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
Yeah, but then you'll forget after a while.

Monica does have a good point. Plus, it means that these tours are much more documented than tours in the early 2000's and before (ya know how hard it is to find U2 Pittsburgh concert footage?!  :D)

I understand that argument, I just don't agree with it. Sure, I own footage from the shows in 89 and 93, but it's just so terrible that I never watch it and much prefer to use still photos to jog my memory.

I'd sooner have a show with a crowd that are active and involved in the show, than one that is beautifully filmed with a sterile audience.

It's probably just a personal preference, but I'd not miss a thing if tomorrow I woke up and there was no footage of the previous night's 360 show on YouTube. I think we'd also find there would be less bitchin' and moanin' about the setlists and variation (or lack thereof).

Or perhaps I'm fast approaching grumpy old technophobe  ;D

I have no footage of one of my favourite concerts ever, the Manic Street Preachers in 1999 in Melbourne. No photos. No setlist. No video. No Audio. It's in my top 3 shows of all time, because it's based solely on how I remember it. I don't have other factors going 'oh, but James hit that bum note in Design for Life', or 'they played the same setlist in Sydney'.

If you go to multiple 360 shows this year or next, just try, even if it's just at one of them, not filming at all. Leave your iphone in the car.

I guarantee you will enjoy it more and you won't miss the lack of footage.

Hmmm this is turning into a crusade :-)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »
This one's for Strong Girl and anyone else considering Adult Diapers. ;D

My friend tells me the ones you buy in the grocery store would NOT do any good for a long concert. In order for them to be worthwhile, you'd have to get the pricey ones at the medical supply store-and that, well, HE wouldn't do it! He has to wear them all the time so he knows what he's talking about.
  Hope this helps!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
Love and pi*s or Else?