Author Topic: The Best Advice I got before a concert  (Read 9038 times)

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
Re: The Best Advice I got before a concert
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2010, 08:35:56 PM »
Brisco, I don't completely disagree with you, especially about the set list complaining. It really is just a preference. I'd rather have crappy U2 video of shows I was too broke to see than none at all.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Brisco, I don't completely disagree with you, especially about the set list complaining. It really is just a preference. I'd rather have crappy U2 video of shows I was too broke to see than none at all.

I do understand, but if it's a show you weren't at, wouldn't you rather the concert DVD with much better footage?

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2010, 09:08:39 PM »

I do understand, but if it's a show you weren't at, wouldn't you rather the concert DVD with much better footage?
Of course better footage would be preferable but they don't make videos of every show and often edit out stuff that I want to see.

Offline merkado

• Wanderer
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »
For those who are form out of town...
Stay in a hotel that is walking distance from the stadium. You don't have to worry about traffic of parking or transportation!

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
  • RAN the Marine Corps Marathon 10/30/2011
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »
The best advice I WISH someone had given me is to NEVER attend a U2 concert with someone who is not a fan.  I have done this twice - once was more of an accident than on purpose. It's a real buzz killer.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2010, 12:26:54 AM »
The best advice I WISH someone had given me is to NEVER attend a U2 concert with someone who is not a fan.  I have done this twice - once was more of an accident than on purpose. It's a real buzz killer.

So true Misty!!!

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 05:37:01 AM »
After 25 years of going to gigs, festivals, this is the best advice I can give especially to the fans prepared to GA queue for many hours and again to wait for hours in Inner circle before U2 get on stage.....
Bring v.small but strong bag you can attach to your belt, but also can afford to lose...
This should have few pouch type juice drinks for the duration ( to be sipped slowly over time) and some energy bars for long lasting nutrition.

When U2 take the stage, you should have nothing left in bag and either fold it away, attach to belt or just lose it - leave body free for full gig enjoyment !

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2010, 07:11:38 AM »

agreed.  especially hard if you've talked that person into waiting 10 hours in the GA line and they complain the whole time...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 07:21:01 AM »
another one...

When buying tickets, DO NOT wait for people to get their stuff together.

Just buy the tickets you need, maybe a couple of swappers, and be done with it. Trying to synchronise 8 friends is rubbish.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:11:40 PM by Joe90usa »

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 09:38:01 AM »

There is some really great advice here but this has to be the best!

Wembley Popmart was effectively ruined for me when my best U2 friend insisted that her new boyfriend came along & then he insisted that we sat ... which would never have been an option for us otherwise! I had a bad feeling about it from the start but being too nice I stupidly didn't protest (enough)!

I was proved right when the second song played was "I Will Follow" ... me & my mate jumped sky high out of our seats, watched longingly as the GA went completely crazy whilst almost everyone around us stayed in their seats & looked at us like we were total nutjobs & as if they'd never even heard the song before in their lives!

My friend later admitted I was right. We learnt a very valuable lesson & attended the Elevation tour just the 2 of us - no boyfriends and in GA!

I think the thing to remember is, if you are a big fan, going to a U2 gig is a REALLY special event ... and even for big fans the chance doesn't always come round that often. I nearly always put other people first but for something as special as this - DON'T COMPROMISE ON WHAT YOU WANT!! You may never get the chance again!

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »

Don't check any setlists before you go!

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »

Don't check any setlists before you go!

Agreed - hard to do in today's information highway overload though - it does heighten the experience being a bit surprised by "What's next ?" at gigs....

One exception though - always essential to know the closer as so you get out after band leave stage and others ask "Is that all ??" or "Is it over, are they coming back on" - c'mon guys, have you not got enough value for money, haha !  ;)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
I good tip I read once is to wear shorts or pants with cargo pockets, so you can stash stuff like granola bars in them.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
another one...

Just buy the tickets you need, maybe a couple of swappers, and be done with it. Trying to synchronise 8 friends is rubbish.
AMEN! Briscoe!

This especially applies if one might get pregnant like my daughter did last year, causing me to lose not just money but her assistance as the driver. Granted, I did get a granddaughter out of it, but their timing could have been better. ;D GA is not for risky pregnancies...

Holding my breath for next year...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:12:56 PM by Joe90usa »

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2010, 12:45:34 PM »
another one...

Excellent advice! There is no such thing as getting stuck with a U2 ticket because there is always someone who will take it. That is unless you are a jerk and are trying to "get rid of it" by charging way too much for it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:13:25 PM by Joe90usa »