Poll

Is 360 Tour (AS A WHOLE) a Greatest Hits Tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]  (Read 72944 times)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:49:46 AM »
Well is was it?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:10:26 AM by Miami66 »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Is U2 360 Tour a greatest hits tour?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:59:01 AM »
It most certainly is not.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:59:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It most certainly is not.

I agree

Offline thijst

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:00:44 AM »
Yes, it is. Of course it is. You cannot reasonably expect U2 to play to 70,000 people and perform a fine selection of their most obscure work. People pay good money to hear Streets, WOWY and One. They play 4 or 5 lesser (or completely un-) known songs to keep the hardcore fan relatively happy but the current U2 is a greatest hits outfit. Nothing wrong with that.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:13:53 AM »
I don't think 360 is a greatest hits tour or even just a back catalogue tour.  The started out playing 7 new songs from NLOTH and even though they have culled 3 (a mistake IMHO) they have added a couple of brand new tunes to the set.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »
In terms of the number of hits and new songs this tour is in no way different than Elevation, Vertigo, Popmart and others. So if this is a greatest hits tour all of those must be greatest hits tours.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »
hahahaha, no way

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:14:49 AM »
It is a "U2 has nothing to promote tour".  Edge said it just the other day.  Next year, the tour will still be U2 360, but it will be to promote new material.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:22:21 AM »
It's as dangerously close as they've ever got to one, the couple of new songs (purposely) just about keep it from being that. They've completely killed the intrigue of how the new album will sound and how it will evolve over the course of the tour, the best parts of this tour have been the NLOTH stuff and seeing UF and UV live again - everything else just seems old and uninspired.

It's not the amount of greatest hits that worries me, it's just that it's the same damn greatest hits every time, tour after tour after tour with nothing new to be said or done with them (apart from the fact that Adam has decided to write a bass part for the Elevation chorus which is quite nice after ten years) Sunday Bloody Sunday at PopMart was great, really nice reinvention, same with the Elevation Tour, great to see it back played full band again, why? Because it had been left alone, came back fresh and rocked the house. Three tours, ten years later it's the exact same version, night after night..... yawn.... but wait... they've changed the video on the screens to highlight a different set of political struggles.... genius.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »
In terms of the number of hits and new songs this tour is in no way different than Elevation, Vertigo, Popmart and others. So if this is a greatest hits tour all of those must be greatest hits tours.

Yes, absolutely.  The last time that U2 built an entire show around their new material was Zoo TV, when the new songs were, for the most part, the highlights of the show.

I think the NLOTH songs are the most effective new live songs since POP-Mart.  I actually saw the Elevation show in person and apart from the opening two and the closer, the ATYCLB material was decidedly lacklustre for me.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
the best parts of this tour have been the NLOTH stuff and seeing UF and UV live again - everything else just seems old and uninspired.

Oh I agree.  The point is that the new material and two non-greatest hits are the highlights of this show.

The worry I have is the danger that U2 will allow the original conception of this show to evolve into nothing more than a Hits & Catalogue show.  But I don't think this has happened, yet.  If you hear the opening chords of 'I Will Follow', then that will surely be the moment of surrender. :D

hurricane hugo

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:26:13 AM »
if you have to ask that question...

#@!

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
No, it is not. 

They played a ot of NLOTH, and replaced the ones they dropped with new UNRELEASED material.
Also, songs like Ultraviolet, HMTMKMKM, The Unforgettable Fire, Your Blue room... those are fare from being radio staples or greatest hits that were beaten to death !

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 11:33:42 AM »

Exactly. This is the single, central, irrefutable fact that no-one can actually refute based on empirical evidence; they are not only not playing any more 'greatest hits' than all of them, they are actually playing LESS in most cases.

Not to mention another statistic; in the new standard setlist, twelve out of twenty-three songs, or more than half the setlist, is from the last decade. Now you may not like that, you may think it's too much. But it's INCREDIBLY hard to build a case that U2's 'greatest hits' include more 2000s songs than the 80s and 90s combined.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »

Exactly. This is the single, central, irrefutable fact that no-one can actually refute based on empirical evidence; they are not only not playing any more 'greatest hits' than all of them, they are actually playing LESS in most cases.

Not to mention another statistic; in the new standard setlist, twelve out of twenty-three songs, or more than half the setlist, is from the last decade. Now you may not like that, you may think it's too much. But it's INCREDIBLY hard to build a case that U2's 'greatest hits' include more 2000s songs than the 80s and 90s combined.
[/quote

Perfectly put!