Poll

Is 360 Tour (AS A WHOLE) a Greatest Hits Tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]  (Read 71215 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: Is U2 360 Tour a greatest hits tour?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
NO.

The Promenade

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:15:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well is it?

Of course it is you crazy fool!  ;D

And if it isn't, it's certainly the 'let's carry on flogging the same dead horse' tour...

Bono to the Edge> 'I know, let's play One and Streets as an encore towards the end of the set. We can place With Or Without You there too. In the middle we'll go for Sunday Bloody Sunday or New Years Day - we can rotate these - that way, we can keep things fresh and exciting. We'll play Pride too but my voice isn't what it was so not too often, eh Edge? Also, if the new songs are flagging, we'll dig out Elevation or Beautiful Day as an opener. Really get the crowd warmed up!'

Edge to Bono> 'But bono, we're playing it a bit safe here aren't we? What about those crazy guys in the U2 forums who spend their whole time discussing us?'

Bono to Edge> 'Alright, alright, you're such a ponce, Edge - how's about a either being risque and playing a single that didn't sell well or one (and I do mean just the one) lesser known tune from one of our most popular records. I'm thinking that dodgy batman song we did. Or something rousing from Achtung Baby.

Edge to Bono> 'Ok, that sounds reasonable. Also, City of Blinding Lights - our old chum Obama digs that one the most so it will get the Americans going crazy. We've got to get a worthy section in there too - that whole audience mask thing was a bit dodgy but we meant well. I know, we can play Walk On! Worked so well last time...'

Bono to Edge> 'That's right Edge - and that's the whole reason people dig me so much so let's make a big fuss over it with visuals and everything. And at the end, we can do a slow tune from the most recent LP. You know the saying Edge, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Edge to Bono> 'I've completely lost track - are we talking about what we're playing on the current tour or the one we've just done'

Bono to Edge> 'This one you idiot - have you got a problem with that?'

Edge to Bono> 'No. Sir.'

Respectfully yours,

The Promenade

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
Well is it?

Of course it is you crazy fool!  ;D

And if it isn't, it's certainly the 'let's carry on flogging the same dead horse' tour.

I certainly wouldn't describe One, Streets, WOWY, Bad, New Year's Day, Beautiful Day, Until The End of the World, I Still Haven't Found..., as being "dead horses".

SBS & Pride - dead as a dodo.

Mysterious Ways & Walk On - on life support.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »
The most entertaining part of this whole slightly silly debate has been seeing how people define 'Greatest Hits Tour'. To the earlier claim that a Greatest Hit is any single or track that has appeared on a Best Of (Thus making every tour since Zoo TV a Greatest Hits Tour with a maximum of 6 non-GH in each set) to Promenade's apparent claim that if the set actually contains any greatest hits, it is automatically a greatest hits tour.

I confess myself curious as to whether or not there are any tracks left from U2 which have not now been defined by SOMEONE as a greatest hit, I'm sure that at this rate a justification for classifying Elvis Presley and America as that is forthcoming.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »
I voted no, but the other night they did play 8 of their 15 American Top 40 Hits.  That said, there aren't enough Top 40 hits to fill a setlist.

The Promenade

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
The most entertaining part of this whole slightly silly debate has been seeing how people define 'Greatest Hits Tour'. To the earlier claim that a Greatest Hit is any single or track that has appeared on a Best Of (Thus making every tour since Zoo TV a Greatest Hits Tour with a maximum of 6 non-GH in each set) to Promenade's apparent claim that if the set actually contains any greatest hits, it is automatically a greatest hits tour.

I confess myself curious as to whether or not there are any tracks left from U2 which have not now been defined by SOMEONE as a greatest hit, I'm sure that at this rate a justification for classifying Elvis Presley and America as that is forthcoming.

Elvis Presley and America - now THAT'S a good idea!!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

A GH is generally defined as either one of their singles - or... actually, no - just one of their singles. They have a MASSIVE output of fine music that has never been a single. In fact, if you look at, say, the Turin set list, there was a total of 17 (SEVENTEEN) singles played out of a set list containing 25 songs!

That, my good man, is what I am talking about! I'll paste this into the other thread in case you don't read it...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
I don't think that a gem of a U2 song should be unfairly discriminated against because U2 or their record company decided to release it as a single.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
But defining greatest hits as singles is just silly. Imagine this hypothetical (obviously too short) setlist;

1) 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
2) Last Night on Earth
3) Fire
4) A Day Without Me
5) Original of the Species
6) A Celebration
7) Numb
8) Electrical Storm
9) The Hands That Built America
10) Lemon
11) Window in the Skies

...Now according to you, that is the very DEFINITION of a greatest hits setlist. But that's utterly ludicrous given that none of these songs has been a tour regular in well over a decade, most have rarely been played outside one tour, some have scarcely been played at all. None of these could possibly be defined by a casual observer as one of U2's 'Greatest Hits'. Not to mention that such a definition EXCLUDES songs like Bullet the Blue Sky and Bad which are concert warhorses and have far more right to be called greatest hits than any of those songs!

The Promenade

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 01:01:58 PM »
I don't think that a gem of a U2 song should be unfairly discriminated against because U2 or their record company decided to release it as a single.

It shouldn't  - although in U2's case, the quality of singles chosen doesn't match the quality of other tracks. Singles are GENERALLY chosen to appeal to MASS markets. Therefore, given that singles on the set list cited constituted well over half of the set list, it seems reasonable to presume that it is a greatest hits set. As a general rule only singles become greatest hits.

How do you think U2 got SO RICH!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Promenade

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
But defining greatest hits as singles is just silly. Imagine this hypothetical (obviously too short) setlist;

1) 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
2) Last Night on Earth
3) Fire
4) A Day Without Me
5) Original of the Species
6) A Celebration
7) Numb
8) Electrical Storm
9) The Hands That Built America
10) Lemon
11) Window in the Skies

...Now according to you, that is the very DEFINITION of a greatest hits setlist. But that's utterly ludicrous given that none of these songs has been a tour regular in well over a decade, most have rarely been played outside one tour, some have scarcely been played at all. None of these could possibly be defined by a casual observer as one of U2's 'Greatest Hits'. Not to mention that such a definition EXCLUDES songs like Bullet the Blue Sky and Bad which are concert warhorses and have far more right to be called greatest hits than any of those songs!

Unknown, if I'm being ludicrous, take a look at my other reply concerning SINGLES played at Turin - this has stopped being an OPINION. That 17 out of 25 songs were singles is a FACT.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Unknown, if I'm being ludicrous, take a look at my other reply concerning SINGLES played at Turin - this has stopped being an OPINION. That 17 out of 25 songs were singles is a FACT.

It is but that only matters if you subscribe to the view that single = Greatest Hit. I just listed an awful lot of singles which no-one could possibly consider Greatest Hits, and I'd argue that's true of lots of songs in this setlist. You can argue it's single-heavy, sure- but EVERY tour is single-heavy by every band. That doesn't make it Greatest Hits.

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »
Does this make Numb and All Because of You Greatest Hits??

The Promenade

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 01:11:30 PM »

It is but that only matters if you subscribe to the view that single = Greatest Hit. I just listed an awful lot of singles which no-one could possibly consider Greatest Hits, and I'd argue that's true of lots of songs in this setlist. You can argue it's single-heavy, sure- but EVERY tour is single-heavy by every band. That doesn't make it Greatest Hits.

Nearly 3/4 of that set list are singles. Any band who could be considered worthy of the title 'artists' do not play singles for 3/4 of their set lists. However, if you can site say, a Springsteen, Radiohead, Depeche Mode... whoever - set list where they DO play singles for 3/4 of the gig, I will stand corrected...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »

It shouldn't  - although in U2's case, the quality of singles chosen doesn't match the quality of other tracks. Singles are GENERALLY chosen to appeal to MASS markets. Therefore, given that singles on the set list cited constituted well over half of the set list, it seems reasonable to presume that it is a greatest hits set. As a general rule only singles become greatest hits.

So, what you're saying is that Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, One, Beautiful Day, Stay, TUF, Desire, City of Blinding Lights, don't match the quality of other tracks which weren't released as singles. ???

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »

So, what you're saying is that Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, One, Beautiful Day, Stay, TUF, Desire, City of Blinding Lights, don't match the quality of other tracks which weren't released as singles. ???

That sounds like a bunch of bull to me.