Poll

Is 360 Tour (AS A WHOLE) a Greatest Hits Tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]  (Read 71218 times)

The Promenade

Re: Is U2 360 Tour a greatest hits tour?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't think that a gem of a U2 song should be unfairly discriminated against because U2 or their record company decided to release it as a single.

It shouldn't  - although in U2's case, the quality of singles chosen doesn't match the quality of other tracks. Singles are GENERALLY chosen to appeal to MASS markets. Therefore, given that singles on the set list cited constituted well over half of the set list, it seems reasonable to presume that it is a greatest hits set. As a general rule only singles become greatest hits.

How do you think U2 got SO RICH!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So, what you're saying is that Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, One, Beautiful Day, Stay, TUF, Desire, City of Blinding Lights, don't match the quality of other tracks which weren't released as singles. ???

One, TUF are the ONLY songs from your list I would consider better than the vast majority of their NON single output.

But this is a matter of OPINION - we need to deal in FACTS.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
Well that's automatically a silly premise because it assumes that all bands release the same number of singles. Bruce hasn't released four singles from an album in two decades, U2 have released four singles from four albums in the last two decades. They might have the same number of songs but U2 would have more singles!

The Promenade

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »
Well that's automatically a silly premise because it assumes that all bands release the same number of singles. Bruce hasn't released four singles from an album in two decades, U2 have released four singles from four albums in the last two decades. They might have the same number of songs but U2 would have more singles!

MATHS are MATHS my good man - therefore if U2 play 3/4 of a 25 song SET LIST as singles, it's no different from Bruce playing 1/2 of a 35 song set list as singles. Except the BRUCE set list is LESS a greatest hits set list than the U2 one.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:23:39 PM by The Promenade »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »

MATHS are MATHS my good man - therefore if U2 play 3/4 of a 25 song SET LIST as singles, it's no different from Bruce playing 1/2 of a 35 song set list as singles.

Wait so what is the issue here?

So they play singles, okay, and they play stuff like Miss Sarajevo and North Star, so what's the concern??

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »
I just fundamentally disagree with any sort of premise which would classify Bad as not a Greatest Hit but A Day Without Me as one. Just as I'd disagree with it for Bruce classifying My Hometown as a greatest hit but not Jungleland.

The Promenade

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »

MATHS are MATHS my good man - therefore if U2 play 3/4 of a 25 song SET LIST as singles, it's no different from Bruce playing 1/2 of a 35 song set list as singles.

So they play singles, okay, and they play stuff like Miss Sarajevo and North Star, so what's the concern??

There is no concern - but, it does make it a GREATEST HITS TOUR - which is what the THREAD is about.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »
I don't think that a gem of a U2 song should be unfairly discriminated against because U2 or their record company decided to release it as a single.

It shouldn't  - although in U2's case, the quality of singles chosen doesn't match the quality of other tracks. Singles are GENERALLY chosen to appeal to MASS markets. Therefore, given that singles on the set list cited constituted well over half of the set list, it seems reasonable to presume that it is a greatest hits set. As a general rule only singles become greatest hits.

How do you think U2 got SO RICH!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So, what you're saying is that Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, One, Beautiful Day, Stay, TUF, Desire, City of Blinding Lights, don't match the quality of other tracks which weren't released as singles. ???

One, TUF are the ONLY songs from your list I would consider better than the vast majority of their NON single output.

But this is a matter of OPINION - we need to deal in FACTS.

Make a sentence from these words - Kettle, Calling, Pot, Black, The. ;)

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »

There is no concern - but, it does make it a GREATEST HITS TOUR - which is what the THREAD is about.

So then every band and every artist plays greatest hits at least half or more of the time

So... who really cares to be honest?

The Promenade

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »

So then every band and every artist plays greatest hits at least half or more of the time

No - every band doesn't do that.

And you clearly CARE as you too time to respond to the THREAD!  ;D

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »

No - every band doesn't do that.

And you clearly CARE as you too time to respond to the THREAD!  ;D

Nah I just enjoy a little discussion is all  ;)

But most bands with a history of 20 years do that.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 01:43:43 PM »

22 out of 27 voters in this poll think that 360 is NOT a greatest hits tour - Fact.

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »

22 out of 27 voters in this poll think that 360 is NOT a greatest hits tour - Fact.

Works for me! I'm one of the 22  ;D

The Promenade

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »

Voters on THIS forum are hardly an unbiased cross section of U2 fans - FACT.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »

YOU, The Promenade, claimed on another thread that most people on this forum agree with the accusation that 360 is a greatest hits show.  Obviously they don't since the clear majority of fans voting on this poll think that it isn't a greatest hits show - FACT.

So what was the factual basis of your earlier claim?

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »

YOU, The Promenade, claimed on another thread that most people on this forum agree with the accusation that 360 is a greatest hits show.  Obviously they don't since the clear majority of fans voting on this poll think that it isn't a greatest hits show - FACT.

So what was the factual basis of your earlier claim?

Perhaps he made it up.