Poll

Is 360 Tour (AS A WHOLE) a Greatest Hits Tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]  (Read 71386 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Is U2 360 Tour a greatest hits tour?
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just fundamentally disagree with any sort of premise which would classify Bad as not a Greatest Hit but A Day Without Me as one. Just as I'd disagree with it for Bruce classifying My Hometown as a greatest hit but not Jungleland.

Amazing post...and who would classify Bullet or RTSS as not a greatest hit but Another Day as one...it baffles me

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
In terms of the number of hits and new songs this tour is in no way different than Elevation, Vertigo, Popmart and others. So if this is a greatest hits tour all of those must be greatest hits tours.

Exactly. This is the single, central, irrefutable fact that no-one can actually refute based on empirical evidence; they are not only not playing any more 'greatest hits' than all of them, they are actually playing LESS in most cases.

Not to mention another statistic; in the new standard setlist, twelve out of twenty-three songs, or more than half the setlist, is from the last decade. Now you may not like that, you may think it's too much. But it's INCREDIBLY hard to build a case that U2's 'greatest hits' include more 2000s songs than the 80s and 90s combined.

Yup, notice that everyone on the other side has ignored that basic fact.

YOU, The Promenade, claimed on another thread that most people on this forum agree with the accusation that 360 is a greatest hits show.  Obviously they don't since the clear majority of fans voting on this poll think that it isn't a greatest hits show - FACT.

So what was the factual basis of your earlier claim?

Promenade, this is the fourth time in the last two days that you've claimed to speak for most people, or everyone when you don't. I'd appreciate it if you refrained from doing so in the future. :)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »
Well where are all the Radiohead Greatest Hit Supporters at now :P . I was under the impression that EVERYONE would say this is a greatest hits tour.  ;)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2010, 07:48:43 PM »
Quote from: gnmmet
Promenade, this is the fourth time in the last two days that you've claimed to speak for most people, or everyone when you don't. I'd appreciate it if you refrained from doing so in the future. :)

He must know people. If they're real or imaginary is for a different discussion.

Ignore him.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:29:24 PM by TheFlyingLemon »

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2010, 08:20:11 PM »
It's as dangerously close as they've ever got to one, the couple of new songs (purposely) just about keep it from being that. They've completely killed the intrigue of how the new album will sound and how it will evolve over the course of the tour, the best parts of this tour have been the NLOTH stuff and seeing UF and UV live again - everything else just seems old and uninspired.

It's not the amount of greatest hits that worries me, it's just that it's the same damn greatest hits every time, tour after tour after tour with nothing new to be said or done with them (apart from the fact that Adam has decided to write a bass part for the Elevation chorus which is quite nice after ten years) Sunday Bloody Sunday at PopMart was great, really nice reinvention, same with the Elevation Tour, great to see it back played full band again, why? Because it had been left alone, came back fresh and rocked the house. Three tours, ten years later it's the exact same version, night after night..... yawn.... but wait... they've changed the video on the screens to highlight a different set of political struggles.... genius.

I can't call it a greatest hits tour but it is absolutely a static hits your and thats what is most disturbing.  even more so that the show has changed so little since the dvd was filmed.  if edge in fact said they have nothing to support then he is a waste in my mind.  since they have nothing to support do something about it and mess around with the set and have fun.  actors in broadway plays change and shows thus run longer cause new life is being breathed into the script.  this is not broadway.  its music and it's time to leave the same script for the last 20 years and trust your back catalog.  lets not forget this is the same band that would play i will follow, 11 o'clock tick tock and the ocean twice in short shows.  when other songs on boy and old demos were not played.  so maybe i shouldn't be mad cause from day one they told us what they were - we trust only a handful of songs from each album outside of the obligatory promotional aspect of the tour.  anyone who writes songs will tell you one day they love a song, one day they say what was i thinking and then one day they say man i forgot about this one lets play it.  not often we get that from U2 and hardly ever once a tour starts.  it's like once it starts the thinking is done.  and cruise control kicks in.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »
Never let facts get in the way of opinion.

Although, judging from the poll and the posts, both facts AND opinion would show that U2 are not and have not ever done a greatest hits tour. But I doubt this will sway the poo-pooers who look down their nose and decry from their GREATEST FAN OF ALL TIME thrown that  U2 have finally sold out becasue they will not play October or Love Is Blindness! This of course is great news for the band because it is something the band has been TRYING to do since they first started playing.

Singles = greatest hits? Really? So, Boots and Magnificent are considered hits even though they barely cracked the charts and then vanished? An unknown band releases a single that is purchased by their parents and two girls they went to school with and it is a hit? That dog will not hunt.

If this is a greatest hits tour than why was Desire dropped. Accept for WOWOY and ISHFWILF, it peaked higher in the Billboard Top 100 than any song in the set list.
Where is Staring At The Sun? It peaked at 18 and was on the chart for over 20 weeks, something the majority of the current set list did not do. Why are they only playing a snippet of Discotheque when it is one of the few singles the band ever had crack the top 10? Should they be playing I Will Follow, which peaked at number 5 and spent over 80 weeks in the Top 100? Why is the band playing Magnificent .. a single that struggled to get to 79 and then vanished? Or Boots, a "hit" which could not break the top 20?

U2 has two number one hits and should anyone fault them for working them into a set? The band has 6 top 10 singles and they are playing 8 of them.  Throw in songs that were never released like UltraViolet, Your Blue Room, UTEOTW and MOS which were never even released as singles .. throw in  the songs that have never even been released yet like Glastonbury and Northern Star ... and this does not by any stretch of the imagination a "greatest hits" tour make. Heck, if U2 did play a "greatest hits" tour, the show would only be about 20 minutes long!

Maybe we should argue that the band is in the midst of a "singles" tour. Trotting themselves out into one of the biggest tour in history and daring to actually play a few songs that the majority of those in the crowd might know!  Have they no shame? Next thing you know the band will be doing posing for the cover of Time magazine ... and doing commercials for the Ipod. :)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2010, 12:46:45 AM »
I thought I posted here but I guess not.

I don't think this is a greatest hits tour at all. That's all  :D

satellitedog01

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2010, 03:31:40 AM »
I voted "NO".

However, it is not only the songs they play that makes a tour, it's also the songs they won't.

Without Bono's hiatus and return, if there had been two consecutive legs of the tour this summer, I would have said this was a "greatest hits" or rather "only those songs you might know, people" tour.
In all likeliness, they wouldn't have played Glastonbury as a regular before playing Glastonbury, and Stingray being a relatively short instrumental intro, wouldn't have had much of an effect on the overall feel of the show. So what would have remained would've been a very safe setlist with the occasional HMTM/UV switcharoo, and two legs of the tour without the cool NLOTH material they dropped, and 1 and 2 halves of songs instead, as I count the unfinished and not regularly played North Star and the new, unknown and quite generic instrumental Stingray. 

I really like Bono's healthy, improved voice, and only hope they do better next time. Right now it's only "Alarms, but no surprises" for me.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »
Eight songs from 2009-2010 played tonight - more than any previous 360 concert and including a brand new never heard before one from their next album.

So yeah, I'd say they're a Greatest Hits Tour!  ;)

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2010, 01:45:23 PM »
So much for static set-lists, seven song changes from Rose Bowl and counting  :P

edit: now eight and counting plus a lot more position changes
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:56:52 PM by gnmmet »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »
Not to mention a different version of one! (NLOTH)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2010, 02:37:39 PM »
I Will Follow. ::)

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
yes, of course it is, they've played their biggest hits on EVERY show of this tour : Fly, Sunday, NYD, Pride, Desire, When Love Comes To Town, All I Want is You, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Sweetest Thing, at every.darn.show. ...

Offline hbarakat

• Wanderer
  • Smell the flowers while you can
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
No it is not.  It is a step forward for U2 in my mind.  They are doing what we wished they would do in the first leg.   Mixing it up and playing new songs.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
If you think of a first leg as playing 20 'new' songs, no wonder the set doesn't change that much for the first few shows?