Poll

Is 360 Tour (AS A WHOLE) a Greatest Hits Tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]  (Read 72482 times)

satellitedog01

Re: Is U2 360 Tour a greatest hits tour?
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »
Alright, this show just made feel okay about U2 for a little while :-D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I Will Follow. ::)

Yeah, what idiots, replacing a greatest hit with another greatest hit ... oh wait.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2010, 06:31:47 PM »
please we need more votes to see if the 360 tour is a greatest hits tour.... we need more votes to find out the "opinion of the forum" :)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2010, 08:20:29 AM »
bump

We need more votes... we want the forum's opinion :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2010, 12:04:58 PM »
bump

We need more votes... we want the forum's opinion :D

We've got 53 votes already. :o  That must be some kind of record around here for a poll.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:06:30 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2010, 04:07:43 AM »
So 9 people does not in fact constitute the whole forum. Interesting, now where's my money?

The Promenade

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2010, 04:45:51 AM »
If you re name the thread 'is it a SINGLES tour' most people here would vote in the affirmative...

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 06:49:05 AM »
If you re name the thread 'is it a SINGLES tour' most people here would vote in the affirmative...

Yeah, by facts they would have to. A lot of the songs ARE singles. But single does not neccesarily = greatest hit. U2 are a band that releases a high ratio of singles for every album, mind.

The Promenade

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2010, 07:23:38 AM »

Yeah, by facts they would have to. A lot of the songs ARE singles. But single does not neccesarily = greatest hit. U2 are a band that releases a high ratio of singles for every album, mind.

True - but I would struggle to find ANY other band that plays such a high ratio of singles. This means one of 2 things.

a) U2 shows are populist and therefore dumb down their audience or
b) U2 singles are by far and away their best work. Given that Pride is a single, as is Elevation, Boots, City of Blinding... etc etc, I would say the answer definitely isn't b). Most people would agree their best work doesn't fall into the category of 'hit single'...

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
McCartney maybe?

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2010, 08:53:25 AM »
What about the Stones?

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »
What about the Stones?
I'm sure Dice knows what they usually play during concerts, I would assume that they probably play singles.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »

True - but I would struggle to find ANY other band that plays such a high ratio of singles. This means one of 2 things.

b) U2 singles are by far and away their best work. Given that Pride is a single, as is Elevation, Boots, City of Blinding... etc etc, I would say the answer definitely isn't b). Most people would agree their best work doesn't fall into the category of 'hit single'...

Why can't it be a mix of a and b?

Some of U2s singles are their best work. Streets, Beautiful Day, etc. But then again, U2 doesn't just dumb down their audience - they have been playing up to 3 entirely new unheard of songs on this current leg of the tour, not to mention a few other deeper cuts (for the casual fan) like Ultraviolet or HMTHKMKM, Miss Sarejevo, Your Blue Room. Plus some songs of the current album.

I personally would like to see the tour shaken up with a few more deeper cuts. As it looks at the moment, though, I think U2 are doing a good job in general with their setlists, finding a good mix between pleasing the casual and the hardcore. And it has to be remembered that we, the forum frequenting hardcore, do not make up the majority of the audience in a stadium show by a long shot. I think they are balancing it pretty well actually. Nothing compares to actually being there as well.

The Promenade

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »

Why can't it be a mix of a and b?

Some of U2s singles are their best work. Streets, Beautiful Day, etc. But then again, U2 doesn't just dumb down their audience - they have been playing up to 3 entirely new unheard of songs on this current leg of the tour, not to mention a few other deeper cuts (for the casual fan) like Ultraviolet or HMTHKMKM, Miss Sarejevo, Your Blue Room. Plus some songs of the current album.

I personally would like to see the tour shaken up with a few more deeper cuts. As it looks at the moment, though, I think U2 are doing a good job in general with their setlists, finding a good mix between pleasing the casual and the hardcore. And it has to be remembered that we, the forum frequenting hardcore, do not make up the majority of the audience in a stadium show by a long shot. I think they are balancing it pretty well actually. Nothing compares to actually being there as well.

Excellent - it can be a mix of a) and b) and your argument is well thought out. A key question is, is your/my argument based on PERSONAL taste or OBJECTIVE opinion. For me, probably a mix of BOTH.
Having seen the band a lot since 1985, the last 10 years or so have seem them follow the same old routine and play the same old songs. It was INTERESTING that bono once said if there's one song to get a dodgy gig rocking, it's playing Streets. A pretty lazy way to view your music but there we are...

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »
A key question is, is your/my argument based on PERSONAL taste or OBJECTIVE opinion.

There's no such thing as objective opinion. When it comes to music--preference in style, setlist, what one finds challenging or being dumbed down, etc.--there is ONLY personal taste.

The experience of music, like any other art form, is subjective . . . wonderfully subjective. Any attempt to quantify or objectify that experience is just spinning tires in the snow.