Poll

Is 360 Tour (AS A WHOLE) a Greatest Hits Tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]  (Read 72492 times)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Re: Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]
« Reply #720 on: August 27, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Discotheque
One
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
Beautiful Day
SIAMYCGOO
HMTHKMKM
Elevation
Walk On
Desire
Pride
All I Want Is You
Stay
Sweetest Thing
Staring at the Sun

I'm not sold on the bolded ones  :-\

I guess it all depends on how you define a 'greatest hit'.  

Yep and to me those aren't GH

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #721 on: August 28, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »
I dunno guys, Muse just played the Reading festival in England and they only played two songs from their newest album PLUS they played loads of tracks from an old album (The whole album actually) to celebrate its anniversary.  Sounds like Muse are now a greatest hits band...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #722 on: August 28, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »
That was a one off festival show.

I wonder if they only played 3 or 4 new songs a night on their last tour.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #723 on: August 28, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »

I hope Matt Bellamy's back is okay after surgery.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #724 on: August 28, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
Well, we had plenty here insist that Glastonbury proved beyond doubt that U2 were a greatest hits band by itself. :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #725 on: August 28, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Well, we had plenty here insist that Glastonbury proved beyond doubt that U2 were a greatest hits band by itself. :)

U2's Glasto performance was just like a typical 360 tour show, albeit with a jumbled up set running order and being 4 songs too short.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #726 on: August 28, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
It was indeed 'just like a typical 360 show' except for the fact that five of its songs were played at way less than half of 360, and it had about a third of the number of new songs that the vast majority of 360 had.

Unless of course, you want to pretend that the last leg was in any way typical of the 360 Tour, in which case you're just factually wrong. ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #727 on: August 28, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
U2 did NOTHING for their Glastonbury performance that they weren't already doing on their tour.

Glastonbury was just another night at the office.

When an artist is only playing 3 - 4 new songs in a show during a tour then it is a greatest hits/nostalgia/back catalogue show.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #728 on: August 28, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »
You just said Glastonbury was 'just like a typical 360 show'. It was five songs shorter than a typical 360 show.  The Fly, Out of Control, Bad, Even Better Than The Real Thing and Stay did not appear at a 'typical 360 show'. Quite a few of those songs never appeared in the same setlist at a typical 360 show. It had four-five less new songs than a typical 360 show. It was, in other wor,ds not in any way a typical 360 show. 

When an artist is only playing 3 - 4 new songs in a show during a tour then it is a greatest hits/nostalgia/back catalogue show.

Ah, so you don't think that any 360 shows were greatest hits shows at all until the final leg, since they always had a minimum of five new songs, meaning you think only one leg was a GH/nostalgia/ back catalogue show. Good to know.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #729 on: August 28, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
You just said Glastonbury was 'just like a typical 360 show'. It was five songs shorter than a typical 360 show.  The Fly, Out of Control, Bad, Even Better Than The Real Thing and Stay did not appear at a 'typical 360 show'. Quite a few of those songs never appeared in the same setlist at a typical 360 show. It had four-five less new songs than a typical 360 show. It was, in other wor,ds not in any way a typical 360 show. 

All songs played elsewhere on the 360 tour.  They didn't play a single song at Glastonbury that they hadn't already played on 360.

Ah, so you don't think that any 360 shows were greatest hits shows at all until the final leg, since they always had a minimum of five new songs, meaning you think only one leg was a GH/nostalgia/ back catalogue show. Good to know.

I said earlier in this thread that 360 didn't start out as a GH/nostalgia/Back Catalogue tour but it evolved into one.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #730 on: August 28, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »

I hope Matt Bellamy's back is okay after surgery.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #731 on: August 28, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »

All songs played elsewhere on the 360 tour.  They didn't play a single song at Glastonbury that they hadn't already played on 360.

They did, however, play a few which were VERY rarely played on 360 and at least one which only returned to 360 in practice for Glastonbury.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #732 on: August 28, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »

They did, however, play a few which were VERY rarely played on 360

What difference does that make.  The songs that were rarely played on 360 were still old live standards.  Thus the nostalgia element.

and at least one which only returned to 360 in practice for Glastonbury.

Songs that they continued to play for the remainder of the 360 GH/Nostalgia/Back Catalogue tour.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #733 on: August 28, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
I dunno guys, Muse just played the Reading festival in England and they only played two songs from their newest album PLUS they played loads of tracks from an old album (The whole album actually) to celebrate its anniversary.  Sounds like Muse are now a greatest hits band...

I don't think anyone's calling U2 a greatest hits band; it's more about the tour transforming into a show filled with their hits.

I also don't think Muse is a very good comparison....I mean, they don't really have enough hits to begin with.