Poll

Is 360 Tour (AS A WHOLE) a Greatest Hits Tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Was U2 360 Tour A Greatest Hits Tour? [POLL RESET 8/6/11]  (Read 71232 times)

Offline vertigo 77

• Stateless
Re: Is U2 360 Tour a greatest hits tour?
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:46 AM »
Since this an open forum-I have to question does 360 actually mean the stage or a playing rounds in their catalogue? I saw them 2x (Chicago 1 and Dallas). Chicago I love dearly because it was fresh and truly exciting. I mean they dared to open up with Breathe-which was my fav song off the NLOTH. I was really impressed that it was a great risk for an lackluster album. And believe some hardcore slammed them for having Breathe as an opener. Now its Beautiful Day, snippets of cover songs for a tease, a couple of "completed" unrelease songs and remixes. Last year was different but now I'm beginning to worry like I was compared to Dallas-are they really going to play the same song(s)? Really? In truth, they have played those songs which has been mention. But what's the point of promoting a new venue of U2 when they rather be on cruise control of songs. I'm in between calling it "greatest hits" but they are playing safe songs which even now I found boring. Bruce S. at least changes up because he said in an interview that its the fans we play for that wants to hear them and we as a band love playing for them. Btw his site is free too. I would vote that its a greatest hits tour. U2 truly doesn't trust their fan base but reminds us easily how great we made their lives. I didn't by a margin 90% but I am on verge of selling my Chicago 2011 tix.

Offline mboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2010, 05:54:34 AM »
voted YES

well, they are playing only 5? new songs this year  ::)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
now that the third leg is done what do you think?

;)

andym

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »
yep

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2010, 02:16:22 AM »
NO. If it was a greatest hits tour they'd play lots of big sellings ingles such as Real Thing, Discotheque, Desire, When Love Comes To Town, etc. etc.

The Promenade

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2010, 02:24:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
NO. If it was a greatest hits tour they'd play lots of big sellings ingles such as Real Thing, Discotheque, Desire, When Love Comes To Town, etc. etc.

OH. Instead they play lots of big selling singles like Beautiful Day, One, Streets, Unforgettable Fire, Boots (although that was so sh**, it could hardly be called 'big selling'), Magnificent, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Vertigo, Walk On, City of Blinding Lights, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, New Years Day, ISHFWILF, Miss Sarajevo, With or Without You, ad lib to fade...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2010, 04:51:05 AM »
Any band that plays 5 or more new songs in a show, whether they be newly released or unreleased, cannot by my understanding of the term be considered 'a greatest hits tour.'  I think it's unfair and unreasonable to say that any U2 tour is a greatest hits tour, simply because it's not Zoo TV.

When I think of greatest hits tours, I think of bands such as Spanner Ballet and Deacon Blue.  Actually I enjoyed Deacon Blue, but nevertheless, it was a greatest hits show.

The Promenade

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2010, 05:14:28 AM »
Any band that plays 5 or more new songs in a show, whether they be newly released or unreleased, cannot by my understanding of the term be considered 'a greatest hits tour.'  I think it's unfair and unreasonable to say that any U2 tour is a greatest hits tour, simply because it's not Zoo TV.

When I think of greatest hits tours, I think of bands such as Spanner Ballet and Deacon Blue.  Actually I enjoyed Deacon Blue, but nevertheless, it was a greatest hits show.

Spandau Ballet are a fine band - To Cut A Long Story Short is clearly a work of camp genius.

As for Greatest Hits tours - any band that makes up nearly 75% of their set with crowd pleasing singles is quite clearly, erring on the side of a Greatest Hits tour (ie 360 (270)). Something most Spandau Ballet fans would agree on...

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
If you look at sets where a band plays maybe only one or two new songs, those are obviously greatest hits shows : of the 40 or so songs on 360, 12 are either from the latest studio record... or the next one.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
This thread again  :D :D :D

Miss Sarajevo a big selling single? It didn't even chart in the US.

Magnificent a big selling single, when it didn't even make the top 40 in the UK? It was the first U2 song since A Celebration to have that honor.

Boots, really?

The Promenade

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2010, 01:15:54 AM »
This thread again  :D :D :D

Miss Sarajevo a big selling single? It didn't even chart in the US.

Magnificent a big selling single, when it didn't even make the top 40 in the UK? It was the first U2 song since A Celebration to have that honor.

Boots, really?

.  America isn't the centre of the world. Miss S did pretty well in the UK. Boots didn't do well anywhere for obvious reasons. In any event, even if we strike off those three, that takes the show down to around 65% greatest hits. That still makes it a greatest hits your in a lot of peoples books...

Offline vertigo 77

• Stateless
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2010, 09:29:54 AM »
After reading the upthreads I guess we will see because I would hate to come from overseas to Chicago to hear the same songs I heard at the last two shows. I'm truly hoping they change the set list...Btw the last 5 songs were unreleased with a mix reception.   

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »
well what else is it?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »
Here are my thoughts from this thread: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Keep in mind that this was written before the European leg.

OK, let's try an experiment, shall we?

All of our bickering about whether or not 360 is a Greatest Hits Tour (hereafter “GHT”) can become more constructive if we do two things. First, we need to determine some criteria for what constitutes a GHT in general, and secondly, we need to ask what a GHT would look like if applied to U2 in particular. In other words, instead of asking whether U2360 is a GHT, let’s ask this question, “If U2 were to launch a GHT, what would it look like?”

Off we go, then....

Below are some rules for what constitutes a Greatest Hits Tour, as applied to any band in general:

- A GHT will focus mostly on songs that are legitimate hits.

- Since most bands don’t have enough “hits” to fill a set, a good portion of the show will focus on singles which, though perhaps not hits, are nonetheless recognizable by the audience.

- In most cases, a GHT will still include slots for newer songs, regardless of how recognizable they may be.

- A GHT will be characterized by a tour name and concept that do not tie it to the band’s latest work.

(Now you may reject these criteria, and that’s fine, but I think these rules for determining what a GHT is are pretty reasonable. If you do think these rules are unfair or in some way are intended to incriminate U2, then please explain why and provide different ones.)

Moving on from the general to the specific, if U2 were to launch a GHT, what would we expect it to look like?

In my mind, in order for U2 to pull off a GHT, they would have to:

- Play (most of) these songs from the ‘80s: I Will Follow, Out of Control, Gloria, SBS, NYD, Pride, Streets, ISHF, and WOWY

- Play (most of) these songs from the ‘90s: The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, UTEOTW, EBTTRT, and Discotheque

- Play (most of) these songs from the ‘00s: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Elevation, SIAM, Vertigo, and COBL

Now that list makes up 21 songs, which if you think about it is too many for any one show, especially if they wanted to play some new songs and throw in a couple curveballs as well (which is not inconsistent with a GHT). Creating some space for, say, 3-5 new songs and a couple rarities would mean that U2 would not have to play all those hits/singles in order to pull off a GHT, but they would have to play a majority of them.

Alrighty then, let’s collate the data and discover what it tells us.

Concerning the four general criteria, U2 meets each one. Moving to the criteria that applies to U2 in particular, I think it’s fair to say that although U2 doesn’t play every possible hit or single they’ve produced, they do play a sufficient percentage of hits/singles to constitute U2360 a GHT. And again, the fact that they also play some rarities doesn’t automatically change this.

The biggest objection I hear formulating in your heads is this: “OK, but doesn’t this mean that every tour U2 has ever played is a Greatest Hits Tour?”

It’s a fair question, but if we examine the four general criteria I listed, I think they help us answer it. Let’s take ZOOTV as our foil and see how it compares: (1 and 2) Did ZOOTV “focus on hits and singles”? Well, while they did choose hits and singles when playing their older songs, the show was so dominated by new material that the answer to this question must be “No.” (3) Did ZOOTV leave slots for newer material? It’s a huge understatement to say “yes,” since 12/22 songs on the Sydney DVD are new (and most of them non-singles). Lastly, (4) did ZOOTV create a disconnect between the name and concept of the tour and the band’s latest material? To ask the question is to answer it: of course not.

Now, I do think that those of you who argue that the first two legs of U2360 were NOT a GHT have a legitimate point. After all, the band was playing seven songs from NLOTH at that time. But now that they’re playing only three or four, I think it’s fair to say that, since the band is beginning to distance itself from NLOTH while at the same time adding songs like NYD and Pride, U2360 is moving closer and closer to being a legitimate GHT.

(Perhaps the only thing that could help it avoid this label is their playing a couple brand new songs each night, but I fear that might not be enough to rescue them.)

Thoughts?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
I'm sorry The Exile, it's just too complicated for me.