Author Topic: Concerned By New Poor U2  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Joe Electric Co

• Babyface
Concerned By New Poor U2
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:15:48 AM »
Hi All,

I love U2 - I love them most when they experiment and do things a little left field, I loved Pop.  I have seen them several times live, last summer the second night at wembley they were just on fire.

However, these recent new shows just look v.dull and plain, the setlist looks v.tired - I can't fathom why they have got rid of songs like Breathe and No Line On The Horizon which added something fresh and new to the set.  Why do they persist playing Sunday Bloody Sunday?! It is tired and similar to what they did with Bullet The Blue Sky, needs to be dropped.

Furthermore, when will they stop trying to sound like a distorted chugging AC/DC/Black Crowes with their new material, get on your boots was bad enough, but jeepers that song Glastonbury sounds awful.

Come on boys, stop playing it so safe, go back to experimenting and being exciting.  You have such huge talent, don't waste it!

Also, Bono and Adam look like they should stop eating cakes!

*Rantover*

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Concerned By New Poor U2
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:21:49 AM »
They experimented with adding 3 new songs to the shows. Plus not all experiments eventuate as successes.

Cheers for your input.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:23:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I can't fathom why they have got rid of songs like Breathe and No Line On The Horizon which added something fresh and new to the set. 

Return of the Stingray Guitar, North Star, and Glastonbury are fresher and newer ;)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:32:04 AM »
Hi All,

I love U2 - I love them most when they experiment and do things a little left field, I loved Pop.  I have seen them several times live, last summer the second night at wembley they were just on fire.

However, these recent new shows just look v.dull and plain, the setlist looks v.tired - I can't fathom why they have got rid of songs like Breathe and No Line On The Horizon which added something fresh and new to the set.  Why do they persist playing Sunday Bloody Sunday?! It is tired and similar to what they did with Bullet The Blue Sky, needs to be dropped.

Furthermore, when will they stop trying to sound like a distorted chugging AC/DC/Black Crowes with their new material, get on your boots was bad enough, but jeepers that song Glastonbury sounds awful.

Come on boys, stop playing it so safe, go back to experimenting and being exciting.  You have such huge talent, don't waste it!

Also, Bono and Adam look like they should stop eating cakes!

*Rantover*

I was at Turin and ive seen them quite a few times and that was one of the best shows i've seen (including my War tour show!) Place was jumping! I have to say if you follow stuff on Twitter that could put a real downer on how you feel things are going?
Bottom line for me - I've never seen them so up for it!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:04:04 AM »
U2 are pushing 50.  Give them a break.  You will never see an artist create their most commercially successful work at 50.  The older you get, the older your fanbase gets.  So crowds get "slower" as the tours progress.  You can't beat Father Time.

Give them a break.  We are lucky to even have them where they are now.  Other bands have long been dead, disbanded, or have members in prison.

Cheers,

J

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:12:52 AM »
U2 are pushing 50.  Give them a break.  You will never see an artist create their most commercially successful work at 50.  The older you get, the older your fanbase gets.  So crowds get "slower" as the tours progress.  You can't beat Father Time.

Give them a break.  We are lucky to even have them where they are now.  Other bands have long been dead, disbanded, or have members in prison.

Cheers,

J

well said Jick :)

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
They have added new songs!  Besides many of us that have listened to them for years love songs like SBS and Bullet.

Offline hbarakat

• Wanderer
  • Smell the flowers while you can
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:11:52 PM »
I am excited by this turn of events.  I am jealous of everyone seeing them now as I saw them at the Rose Bowl last year.  I am not a fan of NLOTH and wish I was watching this set list.  That I may go see them next June at Angels stadium.

And there is nothing wrong with straight forward rock music which is what Glastonbury is.  Some of the best music is simple and straight forward.  If I want something else I will listen to Radiohead.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »
THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY!!!!  >:(

they could afford to get rid of One and Streets though...

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »

they could afford to get rid of Streets though...

WHAT?!?!?!

Streets is THE live U2 song.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 05:39:22 PM »

they could afford to get rid of One and Streets though...

BLASPHEMY!!!!
 ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 05:53:17 PM »
I Will Follow *sighs*

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »
Dropping Breathe was a great move.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 12:40:52 AM »

Cheers,

J

well said Jick :)

Well now, I am pushing 50 with the band and U2 and I can rock with the best of them! I see no signs of either of us slowing down   ;) :D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 12:43:42 AM »
Actually i think it's great that finally someone has had the balls to start up a thread about U2's current setlist.

For too long, people have been silent on this issue. Refusing to talk about it, refusing to discuss the makeup of the 2hrs and 15 minutes in a U2 concert.

We need to talk about these issues and to start having the strength and confidence to start a thread about U2's setlists.

NO MORE SILENCE! START A SETLIST THREAD!