Author Topic: Concerned By New Poor U2  (Read 3343 times)

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
Re: Concerned By New Poor U2
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 01:38:58 AM »
I agree that some songs they play all too often... but then when one actually goes to the show, it doesnt matter what they play, its EPICALLY AWESOME regardless. Those songs are always enjoyable in my books. I also would like to see them play some less mainstream stuff, but then oh well, you get what you're given. You have every right to put your opinion forward though ;) also, GOYB really shouldn't have been on the album at all imo...

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 08:07:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Actually i think it's great that finally someone has had the balls to start up a thread about U2's current setlist.

For too long, people have been silent on this issue. Refusing to talk about it, refusing to discuss the makeup of the 2hrs and 15 minutes in a U2 concert.

We need to talk about these issues and to start having the strength and confidence to start a thread about U2's setlists.

NO MORE SILENCE! START A SETLIST THREAD!

So is this number 20?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Actually i think it's great that finally someone has had the balls to start up a thread about U2's current setlist.

For too long, people have been silent on this issue. Refusing to talk about it, refusing to discuss the makeup of the 2hrs and 15 minutes in a U2 concert.

We need to talk about these issues and to start having the strength and confidence to start a thread about U2's setlists.

So is this number 20?

21 baby  ;)

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »
if you're disappointed by these setlists, you weren't a fan in 1997, when the shows were 90% identical.

Bobo

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
if you're disappointed by these setlists, you weren't a fan in 1997, when the shows were 90% identical.

Thats not fair Mark. I think most that are disapointed ARE the long time fans. Just wishing for ummm....I dont know, something like "RHMT". We all know U2 if far more deeper then their "hits" for the casual fans.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »

So is this number 20?

21 baby  ;)

Dang, the 36 I predicted is going to be under.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
whats to be disappointed about? There's new-never-before-released songs in the set, and no two nights are exactly the same setlist wise. Besides which, they'd be a ton of moaning if they didn't play One or WOWY or Streets : aside from Streets, there isn't one song they've played at every show in the past 20 years.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »
THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY!!!!  >:(

they could afford to get rid of One and Streets though...

BLASPHEMY!!!!
 ;)

they could afford to get rid of Streets though...

WHAT?!?!?!

Streets is THE live U2 song.

well you guys are the ones who want something different and complete shockers! I could see SBS being more intense and upbeat and fun than Streets, which is fantastic but got old a while ago. in the Rose Bowl DVD, the Streets just seems tired (and so does SBS unfortunately), while the songs that really get the crowd going are the fun, upbeat ones, like Sexy Boots, Magnificent, Crazy Remix, Vertigo, Elevation, etc.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »

BLASPHEMY!!!!
 ;)

they could afford to get rid of Streets though...

WHAT?!?!?!

Streets is THE live U2 song.

well you guys are the ones who want something different and complete shockers! I could see SBS being more intense and upbeat and fun than Streets, which is fantastic but got old a while ago. in the Rose Bowl DVD, the Streets just seems tired (and so does SBS unfortunately), while the songs that really get the crowd going are the fun, upbeat ones, like Sexy Boots, Magnificent, Crazy Remix, Vertigo, Elevation, etc.

Streets just seems tired

WHHAAAATTT!?

What dvd are you watching?

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »
Buddy, you've never been to a U2 show right?

You'll find out why we all hold Streets so dear when you go, thats all I gotta say ;)

From being at a U2 concert in which Streets was played, I can tell you first hand that Streets is THE song that got EVERYBODY jumping up and down, SCREAAAAAAMING, and going simply out of their minds insane.

And the best song on the Rose Bowl DVD was Streets.  Did you not see the crowd ROARING, going crazy, or jumping around like their heads were on fire?  Did you not see Bono pounding his heart during the songs climax while his 3 best friends encircled him with smiles on their faces while the crowd, bathed in red, were the happiest they've ever been?

Go to a U2 concert, then I dare you to come back and say Streets is tired :P

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 11:53:16 AM »
Buddy, you've never been to a U2 show right?

You'll find out why we all hold Streets so dear when you go, thats all I gotta say ;)

From being at a U2 concert in which Streets was played, I can tell you first hand that Streets is THE song that got EVERYBODY jumping up and down, SCREAAAAAAMING, and going simply out of their minds insane.

And the best song on the Rose Bowl DVD was Streets.  Did you not see the crowd ROARING, going crazy, or jumping around like their heads were on fire?  Did you not see Bono pounding his heart during the songs climax while his 3 best friends encircled him with smiles on their faces while the crowd, bathed in red, were the happiest they've ever been?

Go to a U2 concert, then I dare you to come back and say Streets is tired :P

well you are correct i still haven't been to a concert yet due to my young age and the cancelations...

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
See Streets live

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »

I don't have a problem with a fairly static set provided the show is brilliant, which is what Zoo TV and Pop-Mart were.

Rotating and moving songs around does not make a great show be.

They had the ideal opening IMHO, but they couldn't resist tinkering and now we've got Beautiful Day & I Will Follow as the openers.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »

Good point with Streets I mean in all seriousness....Floyd without "Comfortably Numb", Zep without "Stairway" and AC/DC without "For Those About to Rock..." still would put on good shows right? I went with Classics because those songs made their shows complete. You pull Streets and 99% of the crowd would rush the stage and hold them at gunpoint until they played it...Me? I would just grab one of Edge's axes and butcher the hell out of it until they played it to redeem the song. Might work... ;D

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 03:58:33 AM »
Out of all the versions of Streets I love the Popmart version the best - cause they got the song, and did something different with it. I think it would be cool if they did that again to freshen up the older songs, give it a small bit of NLOTH flair, something to make it a little more special for this tour... even though a song like streets is rediculously good regardless.
Its only tired if you think its tired, I love seeing all the different live versions where they have that (possibly million watts or more) flood of light near the start of the song - its the greatest :D

I think this thread is too subjective, everyone has different opinions and its hard to really come to a conclusion. Everyone wants something different, which is fine, I guess its more a thing of accepting and enjoying what we get given :)