Author Topic: SPOILER: Official Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow, Set-List; 25th August 2010  (Read 9912 times)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: SPOILER: Official Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow, Set-List; 25th August 2010
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2010, 01:14:15 AM »
The steering wheel malfunctioned!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2010, 01:29:33 AM »
Holy crap :D :D

That backup mic in Bono's jacket was a great idea

satellitedog01

« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2010, 03:55:27 AM »
I think it's for stage crew communication mainly, not to have to talk through the main PA mic when he needs some help.

Like in Knight Rider "KITT, KITT, I'm in trouble!"

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »
Stepping onto a stage in a county they have never played before and facing down a torrential downpour, it looks like this band still has plenty of fight left in them. What a great show that must have been for the Russian fans. The Rose Bowl was great, but I would take a DVD of this rainy mess over sunny California any day.

satellitedog01

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2010, 06:55:37 AM »
When you dealing tens of millions of Euros, you're probably a professional.

Offline WelshGirl

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »
Back home today after spending half of yesterday travelling from Moscow. Once I'm less tired I'll try to post something longer about the concert, but for now:
I agree with the comments about the setlist being appropriate for a country's first U2 gig. I was a little disappointed to hear only one new song but completely understand why they played what they played and I still loved the concert and left on a high.
It was bucketing down with rain for most of the show and I have no idea how everyone avoided slipping or electrocution, but it made for some beautiful shots on the big screen. 
There was a sign as we went in saying that the show was being videoed with the usual disclaimer about your image being used, but I have no idea what the filming was for. I must try to find out...

Offline WelshGirl

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »
A slightly fuller report of the Moscow gig.
As I said in the setlist thread, I was a little disappointed to hear only one new song but completely understand why they played what they played, and I still loved the concert and left on a high.

We arrived at the stadium just after 5.30pm and the first thing we noticed was the massive security presence Ė militia and OMON and police. My friend, who has never been to Russia before, found it quite intimidating. We went through 3 sets of security, the first two just a look into bags, the third a full metal detector check. Once in the stadium we could see a line of militia across the field about a third of the way from the front, and another down the middle, separating the crowd into sections. At one point quite a few people pushed through the line to get further forward, then a few minutes later reinforcements arrived so that they were shoulder to shoulder instead of at armís length from each other. I would have found it quite odd standing down there facing a soldier.

We had seats in the upper stand, about halfway down the pitch and a fairly good view of the claw and screen. Snow Patrol were great, Gary Lightbody had learnt a few Russian words (Bono didnít seem to have done, apart from Moskva) and tried them out which endeared him to the crowd. I had been really looking forward to seeing Snow Patrol and wasnít disappointed.

It started bucketing down with rain not long before U2 came on and stayed that way for most of the show. U2 came on late as umbrellas were being put up on stage and it seemed an age before Space Oddity finally started.

Most of GA seemed really into the show as did a lot of people round me, I had a couple of extra enthusiastic Ukrainians next to me waving their national flag a lot, the people in the rows in front stayed seated for the early part of the show but seemed to enjoy it, and some stood when we got to GOYB which was good to see. We were right near a stairwell and more and more people came and stood on the steps around them as the show went on, all of them seeming to be loving it, including one guy doing the worst dad dancing I have ever seen.

Bono sang the whole of ISHFWILF which he hadnít done at the concerts I went to last year, not sure if that was because the crowd sing-along wasnít as loud, or because he wanted to sing the whole thing for the first concert in Russia. The operatic part of Miss Sarajevo sounded wonderful. I loved Amazing Grace into Streets which I hadnít seen live before. The crowd went crazy for Mysterious Ways and Streets, I could see a lot of jumping on the field. The Russians seemed really pleased to hear One, and sang along to it with mobiles held aloft ,which looked absolutely beautiful and gave me goose bumps. I liked the mention of Bulgakov during UTEOTW, though I was distracted a little by thinking the bridges werenít working as they seemed to move towards each other very late. Actually I am surprised that most things did work in all that rain. We were baffled by Yuri Shevchuk as we had no idea who he was, but Knocking on Heavenís Door sounded great. I much preferred this version of WOWY to last yearís as it was more sung than spoken and Moment of Surrender was stunning.
The rain made it look spectacular and very atmospheric, especially on the screen, though it also looked quite dangerous.

Attempting to buy merchandise after the show was an epic adventure in itself. There were three small tents, which we hadnít noticed on the way in. There was nothing even resembling a queue, just a crush of people all yelling sizes and colours at the people serving. I took me quite a lot of pushing to escape after Iíd bought/ found they didnít have what I wanted (I tried all 3 stands-nothing written in Cyrillic which was disappointing). I felt triumphant emerging with two programmes!
There was a sign as we went in saying that the show was being videoed with the usual disclaimer about your image being used, but I have no idea what the filming was for. I would love to see a DVD of the show.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
@Welshgirl - Thanks for your review & sharing!  I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your concert!  8) 
Very interesting about the military presence & merch tents too. Too bad on both counts.  It'll be a concert to remember hopefully and for many others.