Author Topic: What WOULD a U2's Greatest Hits Tour Look Like?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline atyclb5660

• Babyface
Re: What WOULD a U2's Greatest Hits Tour Look Like?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
i think it's important to point out that artists on greatest hits tours often don't have a recent album (relatively speaking). I.e. Billy Joel is the epitome of this as his last pop music album came out in 1993. U2's was in 2009 (and they have been playing songs from it), so that tips the scale a bit away from a GHT.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 08:27:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i think it's important to point out that artists on greatest hits tours often don't have a recent album (relatively speaking). I.e. Billy Joel is the epitome of this as his last pop music album came out in 1993. U2's was in 2009 (and they have been playing songs from it), so that tips the scale a bit away from a GHT.

That's right.  Or when they're touring a greatest hits album like The Stones Licks tour or Spanner Ballets recent tour.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »

Read my post more carefully, because this isn't an argument against what I wrote. I explicitly said that, generally speaking, even a GHT will have a few new songs and a few curveballs in it. I mean, listen to a live show by the Stones or Eagles (both of which are arguably greatest hits bands), and even they play some rarities and new songs.

This is where you lose my I'm afraid. By definition, a greatest hits tour isn't going to have rarities, unreleased songs or deep cuts - because these songs are not greatest hits.

Maybe I'm wrong with my definition of a greatest hits tour; I guess it just differs to yours.  :)

The Promenade

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 03:34:34 AM »

U2' Greatest Hits Tour looks exactly like 360 - they're clearly already playing it!..

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 03:37:43 AM »

U2' Greatest Hits Tour looks exactly like 360 - they're clearly already playing it!..

You're a funny guy, Promenade.  :D

The Promenade

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 03:47:02 AM »

You're a funny guy, Promenade.  :D

I am! But anything funny always has truth in it...  ;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 05:49:51 AM »
Although I agree with Exile, U2 were always doing the big show, greatest hits (most effective songs) manouvre when playing stadiums, that's just how it works.

GHTs are common with bands with large back catalogues, Radiohead did one in 2006 (and did a good job) and are a vent for new fans to hear songs live that made them fans in the first place, and the band to get rid of the feeling of obligation towards the casual fans. U2 clearly want to satisfy everyone, and that's a problem. It just can't be done... :-)

U2 is on a creatively shackling route with their setlists on every tour. The tours are so few and far between and overlong and expensive, they tangle themselves up financially, and most certainly take fewer risks due to this pressure.
This is either out of uncertainty or being out of touch with the times (dinosaur band?) or just stupidity. It works on a financial level (though risky), but maims them as a creative entity.

Hmm. The thing is, U2 will seemingly only change their ways, when the business side stops working.

So the only thing to make a decision about as a "fan" is whether or not you want to see them live. I don't.

As for the new material replacing NLOTH songs: when they dropped UV from the ZooTV setlist they replaced it with a finished new song, and all the new songs were finished and worth playing. That's okay, they worked hard to make it work, and succeeded. On this leg of the tour, they play skeletons of songs that they could've finished with all the time spent on writing and recording (EBW is probably finished, it's a shame they don't play it full band).
At least, Bono sounds good. :-/

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:57:25 AM by satellitedog01 »

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »
Play (most of) these songs from the 80s: I Will Follow, Out of Control, Gloria, SBS, NYD, Pride, Streets, ISHF, and WOWY

Play (most of) these songs from the 90s: The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, UTEOTW, EBTTRT, and Discotheque

Play (most of) these songs from the 00s: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Elevation, SIAM, Vertigo, and COBL[/i]

Only 10 of these 21 songs have broke Billboard's Top 40.  It goes to show that consistently giving fans a powerful, epic performance of a song can create a hit.

What is a hit?  The Fly, UTEOTW, Walk On, Elevation, SIAM and even COBL were never heard on the radio.  OK maybe Modern Rock stations, but not anywhere else.

The Promenade

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 06:19:37 AM »
Play (most of) these songs from the 80s: I Will Follow, Out of Control, Gloria, SBS, NYD, Pride, Streets, ISHF, and WOWY

Play (most of) these songs from the 90s: The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, UTEOTW, EBTTRT, and Discotheque

Play (most of) these songs from the 00s: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Elevation, SIAM, Vertigo, and COBL[/i]

Only 10 of these 21 songs have broke Billboard's Top 40.  It goes to show that consistently giving fans a powerful, epic performance of a song can create a hit.

What is a hit?  The Fly, UTEOTW, Walk On, Elevation, SIAM and even COBL were never heard on the radio.  OK maybe Modern Rock stations, but not anywhere else.

I don't know which Radio stations you listen to but those songs were DEFINITELY played on the radio - in the UK at least...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 06:33:03 AM »

When Billy Joel was last out here he was asked at a press conference 'So Billy will you be playing your new stuff or will this be about the hits?'

"Thanks for the research. I've not released anything in over 15 years. I think I'll stick to the old stuff".

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 09:52:31 AM »

Read my post more carefully, because this isn't an argument against what I wrote. I explicitly said that, generally speaking, even a GHT will have a few new songs and a few curveballs in it. I mean, listen to a live show by the Stones or Eagles (both of which are arguably greatest hits bands), and even they play some rarities and new songs.

This is where you lose my I'm afraid. By definition, a greatest hits tour isn't going to have rarities, unreleased songs or deep cuts - because these songs are not greatest hits.

Maybe I'm wrong with my definition of a greatest hits tour; I guess it just differs to yours.  :)

Yes, I admit that my argument in some sense hinges on whether a GHT can include a few new songs and unknowns. Since I don't go to GHTs, I'll ask: Do the Stones or the Eagles (who are both labeled GH bands here) also play a few new and/or rare songs per show?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »
Hmm. The thing is, U2 will seemingly only change their ways, when the business side stops working.

The problem is that, when your tour is a virtual GHT, the money will always flow. Would that U2 would take a financial hit so that they might rethink things entirely.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »

Read my post again more carefully. I say very clearly that no band has enough bonafide HITS to fill a set, which is why a band launching a GHT will also play SINGLES, which may not be hits, but are audience favs.

Keep in mind, this doesn;t have to be read as some kind of insult. But it is a fact that IF U2 were to play a GHT, it would include all the songs you list.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »

I don't know which Radio stations you listen to but those songs were DEFINITELY played on the radio - in the UK at least...

You raise a great point.  The Fly was a number one hit in the UK, but went nowhere on US Radio.  I may have heard it a few times on the radio.  

• Precious Stone
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 10:04:18 AM »

Read my post again more carefully. I say very clearly that no band has enough bonafide HITS to fill a set, which is why a band launching a GHT will also play SINGLES, which may not be hits, but are audience favs.

Keep in mind, this doesn;t have to be read as some kind of insult. But it is a fact that IF U2 were to play a GHT, it would include all the songs you list.

So a U2 Greatest Hit can be a song that was never released as a single and never received much airplay, but has been performed consistently over the years to the pleasure of fans?