Author Topic: What 360 has become...  (Read 3109 times)

The Promenade

What 360 has become...
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:28:16 PM »

To try and establish exactly what kind of tour 360 has become, it's worth looking at the opening song as it stands. U2 have now ditched Breathe as an opener and have instead gone for a half finished intro (stingray) that segues into Beautiful Day - a single that was released nearly 10 years ago.

Aside from only playing 4 songs from NLOTH now, they don't even START the gig with a song from their new album. Is there another tour historically where U2 have not started with a song from their new LP? Not since I have been seeing them live since 1987.

So, is it a greatest hits set? No, given that the 75% of singles that make up the set list of 360 weren't always hits.

Is it a set that is coming to terms with the fact that NLOTH is pretty unpopular? Yes

In summary then, we can conclude that it's a 'U2 - The singles tour'. Given that U2 have ALWAYS been populist, what's left when you realise your most recent LP is poor and you can't even be bothered to play a song from it as your first tune?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: What 360 has become...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Aside from only playing 4 songs from NLOTH now, they don't even START the gig with a song from their new album. Is there another tour historically where U2 have not started with a song from their new LP? Not since I have been seeing them live since 1987.

U2 often opened the Lovetown shows with non R&H songs and they were a touring jukebox then by Larry's own admission.

They were also amazing shows, so I believe.

The Promenade

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »

U2 often opened the Lovetown shows with non R&H songs and they were a touring jukebox then by Larry's own admission.

Lovetown was an extention of the Joshua Tree tour. They opened with a selection of songs from R and H and the Joshua Tree. Mostly Streets, Bullet and Hawkmoon 269. All were songs from their latest LP's.

So... Is there another tour historically where U2 have not started with a song from their new LP? Not since I have been seeing them live since 1987.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »

Lovetown was an extention of the Joshua Tree tour.

That's one view of it, but technically it was a seperate tour divided by 2 years of being off the road and the release of a brand new album containing brand new songs.  The set-lists were also significantly different from each other.  You asked a question, you got the answer.

The Promenade

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »

That's one view of it, but technically it was a seperate tour divided by 2 years of being off the road and the release of a brand new album containing brand new songs.  The set-lists were also significantly different from each other.  You asked a question, you got the answer.

We are talking about the first song of each gig - as thematically, R and H and the JT were very similar, they were stylistically cut from the same cloth. Which prompted bono's famous 'time to go away and dream it all up...' exclamation. R and H was ACTUALLY a combination of rather poor covers (star spangled banner), LIVE cuts from the JT Tour and fillers (ie b sides that never made it onto a single (eg Heartland)). It was pretty much an extension of the JT and accompanying tour.

I asked the QUESTION - and your answer was WRONG.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:59:06 PM by The Promenade »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »

We are talking about the first song of each gig - as thematically, R and H and the JT were very similar, they were stylistically cut from the same cloth. Which prompted bono's famous 'time to go away and dream it all up...' exclamation. R and H was ACTUALLY a combination of rather poor covers (star spangled banner), LIVE cuts from the JT Tour and fillers (ie b sides that never made it onto a single (eg Heartland)). It was pretty much an extension of the JT and accompanying tour.

I think I was RIGHT in stating that Lovetown was a seperate tour from the JT tour.  I think you're WRONG in stating that the studio songs on R&H were mere 'fillers'.

The Promenade

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »

I think I was RIGHT in stating that Lovetown was a seperate tour from the JT tour.  I think you're WRONG in stating that the studio songs on R&H were mere 'fillers'.

No one is DENYING it was a separate TOUR. However, let's say your contention is right (which it isn't). Hawkmoon 269 is from the R and H LP and was played many times as the FIRST song on the Love Town tour. Streets and Bullet were the only other songs that were played as first songs - these were taken from the JT - the SISTER LP to R and H.

But I'm sure you're right - about MOST things.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:10:01 PM by The Promenade »

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »
There are already five topics related to what you're saying here, may be its a better idea to post in one of those instead of creating a 5th thread about the same thing.

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
does zoo tv the outside broadcast tour count, given that Zooropa had just been released? and they kicked it off with Zoo Station :-)

And i'm claiming the joshua tree tour as most of thed with come on everybody :-)

Nice debate though on JT v RAH - my thought were that the two albums were significantly different.

Anyways at least on this tour they aren't playing a song twice i.e Vertigo 2005

The Promenade

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »
There are already five topics related to what you're saying here, may be its a better idea to post in one of those instead of creating a 5th thread about the same thing.

. Do you fancy yourself as a moderator?

The Promenade

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »
does zoo tv the outside broadcast tour count, given that Zooropa had just been released? and they kicked it off with Zoo Station :-)

And i'm claiming the joshua tree tour as most of thed with come on everybody :-)

Nice debate though on JT v RAH - my thought were that the two albums were significantly different.

. Interesting point. I would say Zooropa was the sister LP to Achtung Baby in the same way that R and H was the sister LP to the JT... why DID they play Vertigo twice!?

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »

Well the reason they did that was to appease the oldest of their fans and take them back to the time when they would play IWF and The Electric Co. twice in a set.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 02:00:59 PM »

Well the reason they did that was to appease the oldest of their fans and take them back to the time when they would play IWF and The Electric Co. twice in a set.

;D

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Also doesn't explain it. It's been demonstrated before that 360 has no more singles than any other tour ever and less than some.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
Aside from only playing 4 songs from NLOTH now, they don't even START the gig with a song from their new album

That's one view of it, but technically it was a seperate tour divided by 2 years of being off the road and the release of a brand new album containing brand new songs.    You asked a question, you got the answer.

It was pretty much an extension of the JT and accompanying tour.

No one is DENYING it was a separate TOUR.

I've taken the liberty and highlighted some key points in this conversation.
Oh and your right Prom they aren't opening with a track from NLOTH they are opening with a completely new and unreleased track ;D