Author Topic: wouldn't it be great if........  (Read 670 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
wouldn't it be great if........
« on: September 06, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
u2's next tour was called U2 AND 4 BEER CRATES.  ;D

i understand why u2 have toured with the claw- it makes sense of being in a stadium. i know they are trying to put on a good show and the visual aspect the claw brings to the fans. but... i don't go to a concert to watch the visuals or the fancy lighting, i go to watch a band play their heart out to my favourite songs and sing them to the best of their ability. fair do's to those who went to the show simply to gawk at an unusual yet ingenius stage construction. i hope you got your money's worth. there is no doubt that the claw has garnered interest for this tour, but to me that's a short straw for u2 to be grasping for at this stage in their careers. do they not have confidence in their music anymore?

my point is, u2 have done the stadium thing since 1986. joshua tree/zootv/popmart/vertigo and now 360. some of those tours will go down as some of the greatest in history. ZOOTV and popmart were the highlights for me. but i don't want u2, at the end of it all, to be remembered as "the band that toured with the greatest stage set-up". they are in danger of being remembered as much for their stages as they are for their music.

my second point is this, by touring with all this technology, u2 are SEVERELY restricting themselves to a limited and inhibiting set-list which is often pedestrian and could be improved with more imagination. they need to pay for the claw, and they do this by playing many middle of the road populist choices, ie stuck in a, in a little while, vertigo, elevation etc in order to sell to as many casual fans as possible, and to make as big a profit possible for all concerned.

i also believe the claw covers a multitude in terms of bono's failure to sing as well as he used to. maybe if he chose more appropriate and better songs to..........

imagine (as john lennon used to sing) if u2 tore up the 360 format and ditched the "prop" that is the claw. imagine if they played arenas instead of wide-open stadiums. imagine if they only had the strength of their songs to back them up. imagine if they were more adaptable and their shows more varied and played many more rare gems, which many other huge artists do (springstein, radiohead). u2 almost did this with the elevation tour, which was stripped down and u2 against the world. i didn't attend because i wasn't enamoured with the album, but i liked their approach to that tour. they could have varied the set-list more though. if i remember, that tour was a huge success, both critically and commercially.

wouldn't it be great if u2 just played on 4 beer crates next time, and played their new material and many more album songs that weren't singles, songs which all of u2's FANS would love to hear them play live. They could still play some big hits too, but not many! 

u2 could do this and still be commercially successful. who doubts that any approach u2 took to touring wouldn't be a commercial success? they're the world's biggest band, with therefore the world's largest hardcore set of fans aswell.

i know i'm dreaming out loud when i think the band could, for once, forget about the casual fans, and remember those who have stuck with them through thick and thin. (i'm still an optimistic fan even after atyclb and htdaab!)

and now back to reality........
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:01:22 AM by miami »

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
Re: wouldn't it be great if........
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »
I get what you're saying here, but in the US we haven't seen them outdoors in over a decade, so I'd rather see them in stadiums for a bit.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »
I think the best of both worlds is a mixed tour, whereby they play stadium and arena venues with a few theatre shows thrown in.  And I don't mean like the Vertigo tour when north America got all arena shows and the rest of the world were herded into stadiums.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:52:19 AM »
that's fair enough about u2 not having played stadiums in america for many years. i just think returning to basics would show a ballsyness u2 haven't shown since the reinvention of themselves in the early 90's.