Author Topic: U2 to play South Africa in 2011?  (Read 14168 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
U2 to play South Africa in 2011?
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:12:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login seem to think so.

U2 are believed to be returning to South Africa for two shows in February, EntertainmentAfrica.com has learned from a reliable source in the UK.

The Irish supergroup, currently on their 360 Degree Tour, are reportedly set to play stadium shows in Cape Town and Johannesburg - marking the first time the full band have performed in the country since 1998.

The official SA tour announcement is anticipated later in September. In the interim, the local branch of U2's record company, Universal, has issued a statement saying that the tour "is not confirmed".

That is sensational news if so. Certainly sounds promising for all you boks fans.

Offline Springbok

• Wanderer
  • Let Go and Let God
Re: U2 to play South Africa in 2011?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
I truly hope that U2 will come to South Africa! It's been 12 years - and Bono campaigns so much for Africa but they neglect Africa when it comes to touring and doing shows here. I traveled all the way to London to see them at the Wembley Stadium because I was so frustrated in not being able to ever see them live because I stay in South Africa. I hardly knew U2 12 years ago, and I was not able to see them then - but since have become a great fan - if not the biggest in South Africa. After the soccer world cup (not to mention the rugby world cup and cricket world cup)we have built some of the most amazing stadiums in the world, and they can basically pick and choose amongst any of them to host the claw. I think we have proven that we can host big events like the 360 Degree Tour. Come on guys - make this happen!

Offline Springbok

• Wanderer
  • Let Go and Let God
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:26:10 PM »
"If this rumour eventuates, it will be a very rare occurrence. U2 have only visited South Africa once before, for the last two concerts of the Popmart Tour. Those were on 16 March 1998 in Cape Town and 21 March 1998  in Johannesburg. Bono has returned to South Africa twice for special appearances since this, both in 2003: Nelson Mandela's 85th birthday on 19 July, and the 46664 charity concert on 29 November, the latter with The Edge." - from U2 Gigs.

U2 songs were used for the 2010 Soccer World Cup 2010 in South Africa as well, an even with input from the Soweto Gospel Choir.

What do you think about playing "Silver and Gold" for a new song in the setlist should they decide to tour in South Africa?

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What do you think about playing "Silver and Gold" for a new song in the setlist should they decide to tour in South Africa?

THAT would be interesting!!!!!!

Offline Springbok

• Wanderer
  • Let Go and Let God
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
Yip - I think so too! U2 also have strong connections with South Africa through the ONE Campaign and Desmund Tutu - as was apparent on the 360 Degree Tour. It all just makes it a perfect opportunity for them to visit South Africa again. The Claw will look great in the brand new Cape Town Greenpoint Stadium (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) at the foot of Table Mountain on the one side and the open sea on the other - and not to mention the awesome FNB Stadium in Soweto (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).

What do you think of inviting Nelson Mandela onto the stage then as well?

Offline Springbok

• Wanderer
  • Let Go and Let God
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06:46 AM »
U2 in talks to come to SA, deal not sealed
Nadia Neophytou

A major concert organiser on Monday poured cold water over rumours that U2 was to tour South Africa early next year.

It was reported the Irish super group may perform in the country in February 2011. But Big Concerts promoters, which is said to be in talks with U2, is adamant nothing has been confirmed.

“We are working on it and we would like to see them here but the rumours are not true at this stage,” said Big Concerts CEO John Langford.

Hopefully the negotiations go well....

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:02 AM »
Gosh , I hope this turns out to be true! This is one place that U2 should play for so many reasons.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »
Gosh , I hope this turns out to be true! This is one place that U2 should play for so many reasons.
Yep I hope everyone that wants to see u2 gets to. :)

Offline pilgrimtogo

• Numb
  • ALL THE SECRETS, NO ONE TO TELL
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »
I was speechless after reading the news on atu2 on the 9 th! The first thing i wanted to do was start a thread!
I am still without words.. Too scared to get too excited. But i have a feeling this one will become reality!
Springbok, you are right. -great brand new stadiums, the soccer was a huge success. What worries me though is the fact that U2 dont get much air time on some of the major radio stations in SA.  If they dont get air time, people (who are not true fans like Springbok and I, and by the way, I think im a bigger fan than Springbok!!) not only do people NOT  get to hear the new sounds,they also tend to forget about the band itself.    But hey! I will be first in line to get my ticket, thats a fact! Bring it on entertainment SA ! Lets spread the 'rumour '! 

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
That would be so nice for you pilgrim...lets keep our fingers crossed!!!! ;)

Offline Springbok

• Wanderer
  • Let Go and Let God
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
It is getting more apparent that there are a lot of U2 fans in South Africa - and I think we deserve to see them live!

This article gives some idea as to how desperate we are to get them in South Africa...

..and one of the South African fans have already started a Facebook page to support this cause - please people support us and help us get them in South Africa..

If anyone has an idea of how we can get the best band in the world in South Africa, please share your ideas!

Offline Springbok

• Wanderer
  • Let Go and Let God
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »
I'm very happy for Mexico - but honestly, they saw U2 with the Vertigo tour 5 years ago. We haven't seen anything in over ten years - and we only had one shot at it! Why would they skip South Africa? I apologize for sounding negative, but I'm getting a bit irate for missing all the opportunities just because I live in Africa. I guess it is only Bono that bothers to care about Africa - not U2.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »
agreed... it's crappy especially given the campaigning. Hopefully there's an announcement really soon.

Offline Springbok

• Wanderer
  • Let Go and Let God
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
I'm stuck in a moment I can't get out of - it feels really bad. I still haven't found what I'm looking for......even though I desire it. Crumbs from your table, that is all we ever get. All because of you I will need a miracle drug - I guess I will go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight. It is so cruel, that it makes me feel numb.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 03:37:09 PM »
This is a case of U2 or Bono needing to put his money where his mouth is.