Author Topic: Like a Song: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For  (Read 2409 times)

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
Like a Song: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
« on: September 23, 2010, 01:42:41 PM »
Matt, what a truly inspiring piece of writing!  I'm a few years older than you and I often joke that I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, but your words have provided somewhat of a wake-up call for me.  I realise I need to appreciate all of my many blessings much more than I do.  I won't send you a bill for all the Kleenex I've gone through!  ;)

Thank you so much and have a wonderful birthday with your family and friends.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
Re: Like a Song: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:15:52 AM »
Thank you, Matt, I rarely cry but this one did it.  I never "got" the spiritual aspect of this song till a few years ago (yeah, I'm kind of thick). but I think it's one of the most beautiful hymns ever.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:59:48 AM »
It was beautifully written with an important message for us all.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
Great article Matt and some excellent food for thought and introspection.   8)  My heart goes out to your family and my deepest sympathies to you and your loved ones.  How horrible!  I'm so sorry for your loss of your niece.   :'(

I remember when you had the 360 cake for your bday and posted it online.   It sounds like you have found a lesson & silver lining in this family loss & tragedy or at least found some peace in how your feel about things.  Perspective & context.   You're so wise!  (seriously)  I'm glad to hear you've reflected and found those things for yourself and found a greater focus on all that's important to you.  We can & could all do more of that.

The essence of your article says  to me that if one's life has purpose and meaning, one can find focus and strength to make it count for oneself and one's loved ones.    And also that if you have clarity, the small petty stuff just falls away as unimportant or frivolous.   That is one reason I don't complain about set lists & songs although like many, I have my wishlists.  I appreciate all that the band has given us and how enriching it has been. 

On a personal note - I felt I 'had' what I was looking for but lost it along the way with a life changing event that knocked me down but in recent years I've been working on getting stronger with better focus, perspective and strength.  I have to "dream it all up again" in near future to carve out a new life and that has been daunting but I can feel myself getting stronger as time passes.  So I count my blessings and have both gratitude and faith that all will work out and for the best.  And that I'll find the silver lining in it all.  I have faith renewed and perspective.

Moreover and I've said it before, your site and the friendships I've made on here have helped a great deal in restoring my faith as much as U2's music has.  So a BIG heartfelt thank you to YOU, your staff and the contributors here on this forum.     :)  You rock! 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:39:16 AM by p8ru2 »

Offline AmericanAngel

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My nick-name is Wonder Woman.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
 :-*  thimbs up Matt! U know how much the song ISHFWILF means to me! This song caused a change in my direction/perspective.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words. :) It's great to know that you and others can identify with what I wrote in that essay. I wonder if more people were aware how short life is, would they stop complaining and focusing on the negative and spend their energy on more important pursuits? As an old Zoo TV slogan used to say ... this is not a rehearsal.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 06:13:09 AM »
Matt

I only wish I could write with as much feeling as you. I know all about getting carried away with the silly drama life gives out
and forgetting to slow down and think about the really important things we each have in our lives each day.  Its human nature to lose our balance in life, but like you referring to U2 lyrics, we have to carry each other, and your story has reminded me again to take the time to make time. Thank-you for reminding all of us to run the best race we can. Thats all we can do is try our hardest to be our best. ;)

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
Awesome - thank you for sharing your "journey" with us! I too have been tired of that song and hearing it live and watching the crowd react always reinvents it for me.