Author Topic: PopMart Las Vegas  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
PopMart Las Vegas
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:17:07 PM »
What do you make of the opening night of the Popmart tour?

Offline bradjs

• Wanderer
it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »
 :-X

Offline markreed

• Numb
Re: PopMart Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:31:00 AM »
Ropey at best.

satellitedog01

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:06:23 AM »
Well, they soldiered on through the whole set, that's a plus, and it's the only full band "performance" of If God Will Send... I've heard from them, also the early version of Mofo with the original structure, which I liked more than the eventual finished live version since it was more menacing.
U2 don't often F-up, but it's good to hear them struggle sometimes, they do fight harder when cornered.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
my aunt and uncle won tickets to this show via MTV and they said it was one of the best they've seen (and my uncle's seen JT, ZooTV, Popmart, Vertigo, possibly 360 next year)

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »
I've never known the band not soldier through a tough set : though Manchester 2001 they ended without "Walk On", and they did pull a couple of song at one of the very rainy recent shows. Vegas seemed rough to me, "Mofo" was a battle, as was "Staring At The Sun". "Discotheque" sounded hollow as Edge dropped a plectrum in the fog..

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've never known the band not soldier through a tough set : though Manchester 2001 they ended without "Walk On", and they did pull a couple of song at one of the very rainy recent shows. Vegas seemed rough to me, "Mofo" was a battle, as was "Staring At The Sun". "Discotheque" sounded hollow as Edge dropped a plectrum in the fog..

You went to the wrong show, mate. ;)

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
besides SATS. it was pretty good. i liked do you feel loved. mad they got rid of it  :P

satellitedog01

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »
Well they dropped Ultraviolet at some of their finest shows on the first leg of ZooTv, but the only set they did not finish was in Amsterdam on the Lovetown tour, that's why they still played shows for that tour in 1990. Bono's voice disappeared mid show, cutting out randomly, they had to cancel the following 2 shows.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 04:13:25 AM »
I listened to this show yesterday for the first time in a while.  It's really something how a bad night for U2 can still be an amazing show.

I wish they could have found a way to make Do You Feel Loved work.  I think it had the potential to be a good song live.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:48:36 AM »
I've watched a video of Miami from this night, and while a bit clumsy Bono really wailed on it nicely. Changed the way I approach the song.

Offline vegaspatrick

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »
I was there, and hands down, it was the worst U2 show I've ever seen, dating back to 1985. In fact, really, it's the only bad U2 show I've ever seen but it was very bad. The boys were not in good form, and it seemed to confirm the rumor that it was a rush job to finish the album and start the tour. I wish they would have put both off for another month or so. Not a good show.

VP

Offline Wilson

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 03:13:41 AM »
I would have been really disappointed if they had played the new songs so unrehearsed.

andym

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »
we are just having what we like to call.. a family row

God will send your angels was a mess..Miami was the best of the night...and Staring at the sun..holy moly

its good to know they are human and it makes it all the more interesting

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:16:09 AM »
It summarized what the entire POP era was all about.

Cheers,

J