Author Topic: What happened to Bono on 10/03 in Coimbra during Magnificent?  (Read 6180 times)

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
What happened to Bono on 10/03 in Coimbra during Magnificent?
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
I saw this video on Facebook that is posted on Youtube, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is the link. He is either in pain or sick. He can not sing and is drinking with his back to the audience. His tech comes out several times to check on him. Any news about what the problem was? I am so worried!

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: What happened to Bono on 10/03 in Coimbra during Magnificent?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »
If the link doesn't work, you can find it through the Facebook group "Bono and Ali Hewson".

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
NOT AGAIN  :o  :'(

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
I wouldn't be too worried, if it was a big issue he wouldn't have finished the show. To me it seems a little more likely he lost his his voice or there was an issue with his equipment. I've never heard of someone drinking water for pain relief.

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:58:11 PM »
I watched the video and to me it looked more like he was having a GERD attack (gastric reflux/heartburn). Like a "whoa, I don't feel too good" moment, the kind you get before you hurl. Which would also explain why he didn't swing around at the end.

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
I was thinking is was stomach related too since he clutched his stomach and side several times in the video and seemed to bend over in some kind of pain.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
Never easy to watch Bono struggling... but it seemed to me that it was just an issue with his voice, as suggested by gnmmet - he did seem to find a sudden liking for water, after all... and he finished the show fine, didn't he?  :)

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
yeah, after watching it. it didnt look back related

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
Funny thing is...I read a story where Bono went out for a meal in a hotel before the 2nd Coimbra show. He didn't have dessert because he didn't want to feel too heavy for the concert... :) I do hope he is better though.

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:32:59 AM »
A close up.  :-\

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

*ouch*

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 01:55:39 AM »
Never easy to watch Bono struggling... but it seemed to me that it was just an issue with his voice, as suggested by gnmmet - he did seem to find a sudden liking for water, after all... and he finished the show fine, didn't he?  :)

Definitely not his voice, and doesn't look like his back either (if you check my previous link). Stomach cramps maybe? Read also that he seemed to try to stretch his left leg a lot and did limp more than usually. Luckily they only have one concert left before a longer break, to have a proper rest - I hope he's feeling better in Rome already.

disclaimer: just speculation, speculation...

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:09:40 AM »
I don't want to add to the speculation, but I know firsthand that certain painkillers like Ibuprofen can cause stomach pain that comes on suddenly. A change of meds might be all that is needed. I also pray he's feeling a LOT better!
It was touching the way Edge and Adam came closer. They could do nothing else, but it must have helped him to have them there. A crowd that sings well is an asset too.

It was very hard to watch that, but thank you for posting it, Maymay.

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 05:53:19 AM »
It was touching the way Edge and Adam came closer. They could do nothing else, but it must have helped him to have them there.

I was looking at the exactly same thing - awww, isn't it sweet - they were kinda looking over him, to catch him if needed.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 06:19:20 AM »

(I posted this over on Interference yesterday ...)

I first noticed Bono's discomfort at the end of Boots. I was behind the Red Zone on Edge's side. Bono was out at the very back of the stage singing to the fans behind the stage when Boots ended. He walked back in but was bent over a little bit, holding his stomach. He then crouched down behind the speakers and amps to talk to Sam or Phil.

He stayed there for the start of the intro to Magnificent, and didn't say any of his usual "What time is it in the end world? Where we going? Lisbon? Porto? Coimbra?" type spiel. He made it back to the front of the stage for the start of the song, but failed to sing more than a few words. He indicated to the band to keep playing, but he was clearly struggling badly with something.

He was grimacing, leaning forward and holding his stomach very often, but going back to the drum kit often and drinking lots of water. He started some lines of the song, but then shook his head and turned back to the drum riser. He did look in a lot of pain. Must say, I was extremely concerned for a while that he was hurt or sick. I didn't think he would make it through the whole gig. I'm sure many other fans thought the same too. So we sang and roared the lyrics that Bono missed.

He talked to Phil again, and drank more water and made it to the end of the song. His singing for the lines he did manage was fine, the problem wasn't with his voice. It looked like stomach cramps or chest pain or something. But he seemed to recover by the end of the song.

I thought he got through the rest of the gig without any further prob, and his singing was absolutely sensational throughout.

A very scary few minutes. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything about this on the U2.com review.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
i was at the concert, and very close to the stage, and it never occurred to me that he had a problem with his stomach. to me it looked liked he had a frog in the throat, and this is the reason why he drank a lot of water. i don't know how water could help stomach problems in seconds. he quit everyt time he had to push hard for a line. for me that was a problem with hi voice and nothing else. however, at some stage, he hurt his back as he could not walk properly for a few seconds. but he just relaxed and stretched a bit and was back on track...