Author Topic: What happened to Bono on 10/03 in Coimbra during Magnificent?  (Read 6183 times)

Offline vertigo 77

• Stateless
Re: What happened to Bono on 10/03 in Coimbra during Magnificent?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »
It looks like a bad case of indigestion. It can have you bent over, tightness in your chest, and feel like your having a heart attack. Or on the light side-maybe he should unbottom those skinny pants!

Offline drewbee

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 05:44:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It looks like a bad case of indigestion. It can have you bent over, tightness in your chest, and feel like your having a heart attack. Or on the light side-maybe he should unbottom those skinny pants!
His pants look way too tight. Specially when he kneels over - good god. I hope he's alright though - he didn't look too good.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 06:14:03 AM »
Looks like a stitch to me

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »
I don't want to add to the speculation, but I know firsthand that certain painkillers like Ibuprofen can cause stomach pain that comes on suddenly. A change of meds might be all that is needed. I also pray he's feeling a LOT better!
It was touching the way Edge and Adam came closer. They could do nothing else, but it must have helped him to have them there. A crowd that sings well is an asset too.

It was very hard to watch that, but thank you for posting it, Maymay.

Certain medications can and often do cause stomach or kidney problems, if they are taken for extended periods.  Ideally at this point, Bono shouldn't need to be taking pain meds for his back.  Surgery was suppose to have corrected his issues.  Plus, his surgery was in May.   Over five months ago.   It's too long of a time to continue with the pain meds.   Ibuprofen doesn't work for extreme back pain and it damages the stomach.

I was worried for him while watching this video.  At one point he was swaying and I thought he might pass out.  I agree with an above drewhiggins.  His pants are too tight and the leather jacket is much too heavy for him to be wearing on stage.  He was sweating perfusely.  That's not a good thing. 

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »
Certain medications can and often do cause stomach or kidney problems, if they are taken for extended periods.  Ideally at this point, Bono shouldn't need to be taking pain meds for his back.  Surgery was suppose to have corrected his issues.  Plus, his surgery was in May.   Over five months ago.   It's too long of a time to continue with the pain meds.   Ibuprofen doesn't work for extreme back pain and it damages the stomach.

I was worried for him while watching this video.  At one point he was swaying and I thought he might pass out.  I agree with an above drewhiggins.  His pants are too tight and the leather jacket is much too heavy for him to be wearing on stage.  He was sweating perfusely.  That's not a good thing. 

I was looking at him when he went for another drink of water (the last time during that song) and he was literally wobbling while standing and his legs were cramping. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had fallen down, but luckily he seemed to get over it (at some level at least). I hope he's feeling better now!  :-\ :-\

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »

(I posted this over on Interference yesterday ...)

I first noticed Bono's discomfort at the end of Boots. I was behind the Red Zone on Edge's side. Bono was out at the very back of the stage singing to the fans behind the stage when Boots ended. He walked back in but was bent over a little bit, holding his stomach. He then crouched down behind the speakers and amps to talk to Sam or Phil.

He stayed there for the start of the intro to Magnificent, and didn't say any of his usual "What time is it in the end world? Where we going? Lisbon? Porto? Coimbra?" type spiel. He made it back to the front of the stage for the start of the song, but failed to sing more than a few words. He indicated to the band to keep playing, but he was clearly struggling badly with something.

He was grimacing, leaning forward and holding his stomach very often, but going back to the drum kit often and drinking lots of water. He started some lines of the song, but then shook his head and turned back to the drum riser. He did look in a lot of pain. Must say, I was extremely concerned for a while that he was hurt or sick. I didn't think he would make it through the whole gig. I'm sure many other fans thought the same too. So we sang and roared the lyrics that Bono missed.

He talked to Phil again, and drank more water and made it to the end of the song. His singing for the lines he did manage was fine, the problem wasn't with his voice. It looked like stomach cramps or chest pain or something. But he seemed to recover by the end of the song.

I thought he got through the rest of the gig without any further prob, and his singing was absolutely sensational throughout.

A very scary few minutes. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything about this on the U2.com review.

OMFG!  Watching that was excruciating  :'( :'( :'(   YIKES.  I can't believe he pushed through it and made it through the song!  - I hope Bono's okay!
*positive thoughts & prayers* 

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 12:36:30 PM »
I think it's safe to say he's feeling well again!

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »
I think it's safe to say he's feeling well again!

Oh Thank You for posting this...I feel so relieved!

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
I started a new topic, but just in case you didn't see it...

Offline Wilson

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 03:07:36 AM »
A close up.  :-\

*ouch*

It was probably just something with his voice, it's almost like you can see him coughing between 4:05 - 4:20 in the video.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:09:48 AM by Wilson »

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
I doubt it was just his voice - You can clearly see him clutching his stomach & doubling over a few times.  In any case - I'm RELIEVED to see he was out and about at the LV/ Edun event and singing!  YAY!  Thanks for the photos & youtube link, all!   *runs to check it out* 

Offline Wilson

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »
I bet it was nothing serious, he did manage to finish the whole show perfectly fine after that.

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
And from my vantage point up close and personal in both Seville and Coimbra, that man Bono has rarely been in better frontman form to me, both physically and vocally....

Nothing amiss vocally as you can see from my vid take on Miss Sarajevo (Coimbra1 here)....Pavarotti taught "our boy" well !  :)

or physically from my view of the man as he hit the stage in Seville

Good he has a few weeks rest from touring now....... :)