Author Topic: No Peace Prize for Bono  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Wilson

• Wanderer
No Peace Prize for Bono
« on: October 08, 2010, 03:01:36 AM »
After watching the “Ireland’s Greatest”  Bono episode by Dave Fanning I think he would have deserved it.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: No Peace Prize for Bono
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:13 AM »
The Nobel Peace Prize is the most prestigious of them all, but they usually give it to people who have had a life struggle and who don't have a platform on which to leave the world know their views.

Bono has had a platform for years, and has not had a struggle as such.

Liu Xiaobo from China who won this years Peace Prize, is currently in prison for the forseeable future, because of his non violent campaining on human rights.

Revolver7

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 04:46:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Liu Xiaobo from China who won this years Peace Prize, is currently in prison for the forseeable future, because of his non violent campaining on human rights.

I would definitely say, without a doubt, Liu Xiaobo deserves the award

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:30:14 AM »
Good - one of the reasons the award is still held in high regard is because they don't give it to someone like Bono

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
Good - one of the reasons the award is still held in high regard is because they don't give it to someone like Bono

Like Obama? :P

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:56:10 AM »
yes  :P

deco20

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 07:03:50 AM »

I would definitely say, without a doubt, Liu Xiaobo deserves the award

Liu Xiaobo - Dissident extraordinaire.

Prepare for the massive fit the Chinese government is going to throw.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 07:44:43 AM »
It just irks me that Obama can with the award (he was nominated only 2 weeks after inaugeration) and Bono can't.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
Love him or hate him, Bill Gates is doing extraordinary work trying to make the world a healthier, more educated planet.

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
Love him or hate him, Bill Gates is doing extraordinary work trying to make the world a healthier, more educated planet.

Amen.

Offline vertigo 77

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
Why should Bono get the Peace Prize when he was awarded one called Man of Peace? Besides how good will Norway look awarding a rock star who hasn't really struggle for anything nor jailed, lived in exiled, or hasn't presented himself on world stage using other people's money but his? Also, wrote books, sat in protests, was shot at, live in an opressive society, determine to break the status quo, etc. I think people need to wake that this prize was started by Nobel who made dynamite for wars but felt guilty of his and decided to give his money away for people who've actually made a difference. I bet folks said the same thing when Dr King won it. "Wow, how that man win that prize when he has caused such a disruption?". Bono will never win it. He made have help forgive 3rd Wolrd debt but soemone is still footing the bill when loans are not paid back. Aids/Hiv will increase more in Central Europe and Asia and world hunger is growing. Meanwhile Bono could hit the fashion shows and rest on his jet; meanwhile, the real soldiers are fighting a good fight.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 01:45:31 PM »
Bono has never put himself in danger for his beliefs.  He calls out on the US a lot but he never tours in the Middle East with the same message to them (outside of Israel a couple times, but they aren't who I'm talking about).  He picks on targets he knows won't respond in violence.  He sacrifices nothing.  His outspoken views just help promote the band and drive up sales.

Did Obama deserve it as the leader of a nation in two wars?  Of course not.  But two wrong's don't make a right. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »

I'd give the award to Bill & Melinda Gates.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »
Bono shouldn't win a Nobel Peace Prize, I agree with that. Now lets all criticise him for it. Loser that he is :P

Offline vertigo 77

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 04:35:21 PM »
How stupid are some U2 fans to say self-righteous Rock Star to think a coveted Prize should be bestowed upon him? So if you people don't like Obama then do what is necessary but don't forget to ask Bono for a loan to pay for your kids education, healthcare and roads because Progress takes time not instantly. If a regime does change we all will living like a Congolese or a Sudanese if we remove the veil from our eyes. Then maybe RED/ONE/EDUN will become legit for all.

Sorry admin/moderator but most Americans are becoming incorrigible by the second!