Author Topic: No Peace Prize for Bono  (Read 2851 times)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: No Peace Prize for Bono
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 07:09:39 PM »
Meh.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »
thats too bad he didn't win  :-\

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 07:16:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And if he did posters such as vertigo 77 will start to ... well, you know.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »

And if he did posters such as vertigo 77 will start to ... well, you know.

yeah I know... ::)  :-\

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 07:51:28 PM »
While it is true Bono has never been imprisoned for what he does, he has been threatened and faced down those threats. He stood there in S. America with the widows of Pinochet's regime demanding that the Mothers of the Disappeared be shown where the bodies of their loved ones lay. He spoke out vehemently against the IRA and their sympathizers. He stood with the Artists Against Apartheid at a time when few knew or cared what happened in a land so far away. He brought Salmon Rusdie on tour with him, an author with a death sentence set by the Ayatollah Khomeinie-which meant armed guards around the U2 hotels. (Bill Carter's book talks about this).
Just this summer he stood up to the Russians who'd arrested volunteers at the concert. Not by talk, which could have resulted in more arrests, but with song "Stand Up for your Rights" and by bringing onstage a singer who had strongly opposed the government.
He was also, at least once, the object of a death threat for singing "Pride" in Arizona. Adam deserves a mention for standing in front of him during a critical part of the song.

Now, does this measure up against years in a prison, against torture, against the other things other nominees have suffered? I don't know. But someone on that nominating committee thinks his 2 1/2 days every week working on behalf of Africa IS worth a Nobel Prize.

All I know is this. I'm on on any of the other nominees' websites, nor do I attend their appearances (if any). But I do follow Bono and U2 and because of them I KNOW about all these issues. So perhaps he IS worthy of this prize. I happen to think so.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »
yeah, he didn't win.  but i don't think he really cares about winning prizes.  i don't think that's his motivation for the work he does, which is just one more reason why i love him.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »

Liu Xiaobo from China who won this years Peace Prize, is currently in prison for the forseeable future, because of his non violent campaining on human rights.

I would definitely say, without a doubt, Liu Xiaobo deserves the award

I agree.  It's a shame he won't be able to recieve it.

Question.....was Bono even nominated for the prize this year?   
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:12:33 AM by Inishfree »

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 03:26:35 AM »
i think so...
While it is true Bono has never been imprisoned for what he does, he has been threatened and faced down those threats. He stood there in S. America with the widows of Pinochet's regime demanding that the Mothers of the Disappeared be shown where the bodies of their loved ones lay. He spoke out vehemently against the IRA and their sympathizers. He stood with the Artists Against Apartheid at a time when few knew or cared what happened in a land so far away. He brought Salmon Rusdie on tour with him, an author with a death sentence set by the Ayatollah Khomeinie-which meant armed guards around the U2 hotels. (Bill Carter's book talks about this).
Just this summer he stood up to the Russians who'd arrested volunteers at the concert. Not by talk, which could have resulted in more arrests, but with song "Stand Up for your Rights" and by bringing onstage a singer who had strongly opposed the government.
He was also, at least once, the object of a death threat for singing "Pride" in Arizona. Adam deserves a mention for standing in front of him during a critical part of the song.

Now, does this measure up against years in a prison, against torture, against the other things other nominees have suffered? I don't know. But someone on that nominating committee thinks his 2 1/2 days every week working on behalf of Africa IS worth a Nobel Prize.

All I know is this. I'm on on any of the other nominees' websites, nor do I attend their appearances (if any). But I do follow Bono and U2 and because of them I KNOW about all these issues. So perhaps he IS worthy of this prize. I happen to think so.
true. and that's why he's been nominated.
but he doesn't really deserve to WIN it. it's just how I feel about it. there is simply way more people who do way more.
and he knows it. he's not REALLY interested in winning, he doesn't expect it, and if he does win, it'd feel wrong to him. Bono can be a really humble man.
he's a rock star but he's a very smart man. granted, he can take things too far, and get carried away, but that is something to be amazed at as much as it is to have antipathies towards.
Anyway, another point in his favour- Bono has the composure of a peacemaker. amazingly thick skin with a maturity only his life could have provided with him. I admire him for it.
he really is someone humanity is blessed to have.

Offline Pammy

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 06:41:38 AM »
I think Bono will win it one year, just not yet. Probably when U2 call it a day and Bono is about 70 or older!

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
Occasionally, somebody will use the fact that they were nominated for the Nobel Prize as some sort of proof that they are a qualified or well-respected person. Except that it proves no such thing.

This isn't like the Academy Awards or the Pulizter Prize for which receiving a nomination means that you are one of a handful of finalists. For the Nobel Prize committee, nomination is just the first step, and there is no restriction on how many people can be nominated. In particular, the list of people authorized to submit nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize includes "members of national assemblies and governments of states." For the United States, this means that any member of the Executive Branch and any member of Congress can submit a nomination. Deputy Under-Secretary of Transportation? Sure.

The easiest way in is to convince a House Representative to submit a nomination for you, since there are over 400 of those positions, and each one represents fewer than a million people. Representatives are known for being quirky, so shop around. I'm sure you'll find somebody who would be willing to submit your name. It costs them nothing, after all.

According to the rules of the Nobel Committee, the list of nominees (and nominators) is kept secret for fifty years. You can search the database of Peace Prize nominees from 1901 to 1951 to see whether your favorite figure or organization is in it.

With a nod to Godwin's Law, I point out that even Adolf Hitler was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 02:44:55 AM »
Occasionally, somebody will use the fact that they were nominated for the Nobel Prize as some sort of proof that they are a qualified or well-respected person. Except that it proves no such thing.

This isn't like the Academy Awards or the Pulizter Prize for which receiving a nomination means that you are one of a handful of finalists. For the Nobel Prize committee, nomination is just the first step, and there is no restriction on how many people can be nominated. In particular, the list of people authorized to submit nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize includes "members of national assemblies and governments of states." For the United States, this means that any member of the Executive Branch and any member of Congress can submit a nomination. Deputy Under-Secretary of Transportation? Sure.

The easiest way in is to convince a House Representative to submit a nomination for you, since there are over 400 of those positions, and each one represents fewer than a million people. Representatives are known for being quirky, so shop around. I'm sure you'll find somebody who would be willing to submit your name. It costs them nothing, after all.

According to the rules of the Nobel Committee, the list of nominees (and nominators) is kept secret for fifty years. You can search the database of Peace Prize nominees from 1901 to 1951 to see whether your favorite figure or organization is in it.

With a nod to Godwin's Law, I point out that even Adolf Hitler was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
never knew :/

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 07:20:35 AM »
Wow, me neither.