Uk and Ireland only
17 (54.8%)
Slane Castle only
2 (6.5%)
USA will be the end next july
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: October 16, 2010, 02:43:04 PM

Author Topic: Will the UK tour make it back to the UK, Ireland and Europe in 2011  (Read 5112 times)

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
Re: Will the UK tour make it back to the UK, Ireland and Europe in 2011
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »
I have no clue (only hopes and wishes) if the 360 tour will return to Ireland next year - but for some reason I feel pretty sure that they wouldn't end 360 at Pittsburgh (no-offense Pittsburgh - I'm sure it's a lovely city).

And I don't really going to care where they will end their tour - because I WILL BE THERE.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
but for some reason I feel pretty sure that they wouldn't end 360 at Pittsburgh (no-offense Pittsburgh - I'm sure it's a lovely city).

>:( :D

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 06:45:15 AM »
Seems very unlikely now that the tour will make it to 'proper' shows in the UK & Ireland. Seems criminal to me that the band play Dublin as the 8-10th shows of the tour, than play another 110 shows in the rest in the world without coming back. If Paris could get a return show, why not Dublin?

Because U2 have shown time and time again that they brook no sentimentality to Ireland when it comes to touring other than generously playing three stadium shows in the smallish country when they only played a total of three shows in a country the size of England.

Ummm... that's quite a lot of sentimentality. Not to mention ALWAYS pulling out something special for the Dublin shows like bringing in four new songs to the setlist last year in the show just before Dublin so they could play them there (as they themselves acknowledged), playing their longest setlist ever in Dublin in 2005, describing the entire tour up to that point as rehearsals for Dublin, playing their ONLY outdoor Elevation Tour gig there, playing their ONLY out-of-stadium PopMart gig there, almost always pulling out some surprise songs there...

But if we leave all of that out, no sentimentality at all!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »
Seems very unlikely now that the tour will make it to 'proper' shows in the UK & Ireland. Seems criminal to me that the band play Dublin as the 8-10th shows of the tour, than play another 110 shows in the rest in the world without coming back. If Paris could get a return show, why not Dublin?

Because U2 have shown time and time again that they brook no sentimentality to Ireland when it comes to touring other than generously playing three stadium shows in the smallish country when they only played a total of three shows in a country the size of England.

Ummm... that's quite a lot of sentimentality. Not to mention ALWAYS pulling out something special for the Dublin shows like bringing in four new songs to the setlist last year in the show just before Dublin so they could play them there (as they themselves acknowledged), playing their longest setlist ever in Dublin in 2005, describing the entire tour up to that point as rehearsals for Dublin, playing their ONLY outdoor Elevation Tour gig there, playing their ONLY out-of-stadium PopMart gig there, almost always pulling out some surprise songs there...

But if we leave all of that out, no sentimentality at all!

Some flimsy points there TUC, I must say.  Ireland was privileged to get Elevation shows in a field? ;D  It's not even true; U2 played outdoor shows on the Elevation tour in Turin and Berlin.  I hope you get your facts straight in your essays at Oxford.  :P :D

• Holy Joe
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 12:40:11 PM »
Sorry on the outdoor thing but I think Ireland's fairly privileged to have gotten U2's only festival in twenty years (Even if it wasn't billed as it) at a pretty phenomenal natural venue. :) Especially as either one of the - or perhaps *THE*- only bands to play Slane twice in one year.

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 04:57:27 PM »
Even if they were to return to Dublin, Croke Park would be out. 

The venue I'm told is only allowed 3 outside events per calendar year.  Take That just announced a show there.

Add to it....the neighborhood protesting all the noise from the 24 hour nonstop stage construction/breakdown...I'm sure the band took that into account as well.

Isn't there another stadium being built in the area though....I'm guessing they could play there if they decide to return to Ireland.

Offline The Line King

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 09:20:54 AM »
Looks like Slane is pretty much ruled out with d announcement dat kings of leon are playing slane next summer.  :(

• Holy Joe
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »
I'd say Slane was never even remotely on the cards anyway, to be honest.

The Promenade

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »
Looks like Slane is pretty much ruled out with d announcement dat kings of leon are playing slane next summer.  :(

You couldn't build the 360 stage at Slane - the ground is uneven and sloping in parts. Although not building the 360 stage would be a welcome move for u2...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »
U2 need to take some pointers from Take That in how to tour the UK.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
U2 looking to Take That for pointers, does anyone else feel a little queasy at that prospect.
The audience of Take That is a tad different to a U2 audience, so in terms of number of dates and demand for shows ,  they are not the same, and  I thank my lucky stars they are not the same.
In terms of returning , they do have a contract with Live Nation so you never know.
For the point of view of my wee part of the world , a lot of bands are playing Murrayfield in Edinburgh this year, a venue missed by U2 last time so I'm sure they could please their masters at Live Nation with a sell out show there and I'm sure there are plenty of other venues they could visit too with the same result.

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »
U2 need to take some pointers from Take That in how to tour the UK.

Not being funny but do you think there would be the same demand for U2 as there is for Take That in the Uk at the moment. Nobody even comes close to the concert demand of take that in the uk.

This is there tour

Sunderland Stadium Of Light (May 30, 31)
City Of Manchester Stadium (June 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11)
Cardiff Millennium Stadium (14, 15)
Dublin Croke Park (18)
Glasgow Hampden Park (22, 23, 24)
Birmingham Villa Park (27, 28)
London Wembley Stadium (July 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9)

U2 wouldnt even come close to filling out those dates , 7 dates at wembley stadium :o

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »
You're right it is daft to make any comparison between Take That and U2, they are actually not in the same markets, U2 are music artists, Take That are entertainers , and thus their appeal is from Grannies to wee lassies ! Whereas U2 appeal to music fans which is obviously a considerably smaller market.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »
I don't know who the Take That are

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »
Plus throw into the mix that it's the first Take That tour with Robbie Williams joining the fold.

Ticket demand is going to be massive for that show in the UK.

It also makes it hard for U2 to probably book dates in the UK as well given the time frame the band needs in a venue for stage construction, performance and stage break down.

I guess they aren't kidding when they say Glasto is the only UK date for 2011.