Uk and Ireland only
17 (54.8%)
Slane Castle only
2 (6.5%)
USA will be the end next july
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: October 16, 2010, 02:43:04 PM

Author Topic: Will the UK tour make it back to the UK, Ireland and Europe in 2011  (Read 5111 times)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Will the UK tour make it back to the UK, Ireland and Europe in 2011
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:02 AM »

This is there tour

Sunderland Stadium Of Light (May 30, 31)
City Of Manchester Stadium (June 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11)
Cardiff Millennium Stadium (14, 15)
Dublin Croke Park (18)
Glasgow Hampden Park (22, 23, 24)
Birmingham Villa Park (27, 28)
London Wembley Stadium (July 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9)

U2 wouldnt even come close to filling out those dates , 7 dates at wembley stadium :o
[/quote]

Ref Take That - the biggest insight here is the stadiums that may have used up their quotas - Foo Fighters are touring outside next year so I'm thinking that a UK (anyway) tour could be diminishing?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 need to take some pointers from Take That in how to tour the UK.

I wasn't being serious.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »
I don't know who the Take That are

It's a regional phenomena which appeals primarily to the lower IQ masses which tend to inhabit said islands

;)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »

It's a regional phenomena which appeals primarily to the lower IQ masses which tend to inhabit said islands

;)

ohhh thanks JTBaby ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »

Listen to Patience, Rule the World, and The Greatest Day.  You'll be a convert soon enough ;)

Don't listen to JTBaby; he probably worships at the feet of Jon Bon Jovi.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »

Listen to Patience, Rule the World, and The Greatest Day.  You'll be a convert soon enough ;)

Don't listen to JTBaby; he probably worships at the feet of Jon Bon Jovi.

But I like Bon Jovi  :-\

Offline WelshGirl

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »
Plus throw into the mix that it's the first Take That tour with Robbie Williams joining the fold.

Ticket demand is going to be massive for that show in the UK.

It also makes it hard for U2 to probably book dates in the UK as well given the time frame the band needs in a venue for stage construction, performance and stage break down.

I guess they aren't kidding when they say Glasto is the only UK date for 2011.

Not sure why the Take That tour make it hard for U2 to book UK dates? The last UK Take That date is on July 9th, U2 are in the US until July 26th. Allowing for the claws to travel across the Atlantic, stage construction therefore wouldn't start until well into August. So unless Take That's stage takes several weeks to remove, no problem there.

I think someone else did mention that venues might have used up their quota of concerts with the Take That ones though, which is a whole different issue

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 10:25:30 AM »
Even if they were to return to Dublin, Croke Park would be out. 

The venue I'm told is only allowed 3 outside events per calendar year.  Take That just announced a show there.

Add to it....the neighborhood protesting all the noise from the 24 hour nonstop stage construction/breakdown...I'm sure the band took that into account as well.

Isn't there another stadium being built in the area though....I'm guessing they could play there if they decide to return to Ireland.

I'm not sure what the limit is on the number of Croke Park concerts per year, but it's not 3.
In 2009 Croke Park had 4 concerts , U2 did 3(July 2009), and Take That did 1(June 2009). Interesting to see that Take That have added a second gig for 2010.
Croke Park is out, not because of a limit on the number of concerts. It is out becasuse there has never been a concert at Croke Park during the months of August or September over the last 25 years. The venue is busy with sporting events during this period, and thats the most likely time for U2 to play Dublin, as they are tied up in the U.S. during all of June & July.

The Aviva is the only option for Dublin i'd say.

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 10:29:19 AM »
Even if they were to return to Dublin, Croke Park would be out. 

The venue I'm told is only allowed 3 outside events per calendar year.  Take That just announced a show there.

Add to it....the neighborhood protesting all the noise from the 24 hour nonstop stage construction/breakdown...I'm sure the band took that into account as well.

Isn't there another stadium being built in the area though....I'm guessing they could play there if they decide to return to Ireland.

I'm not sure what the limit is on the number of Croke Park concerts per year, but it's not 3.
In 2009 Croke Park had 4 concerts , U2 did 3(July 2009), and Take That did 1(June 2009). Interesting to see that Take That have added a second gig for 2010.
Croke Park is out, not because of a limit on the number of concerts. It is out becasuse there has never been a concert at Croke Park during the months of August or September over the last 25 years. The venue is busy with sporting events during this period, and thats the most likely time for U2 to play Dublin, as they are tied up in the U.S. during all of June & July.

The Aviva is the only option for Dublin i'd say.

and most probable venue

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 12:47:38 PM »
U2 looking to Take That for pointers, does anyone else feel a little queasy at that prospect.
The audience of Take That is a tad different to a U2 audience, so in terms of number of dates and demand for shows ,  they are not the same, and  I thank my lucky stars they are not the same.
In terms of returning , they do have a contract with Live Nation so you never know.
For the point of view of my wee part of the world , a lot of bands are playing Murrayfield in Edinburgh this year, a venue missed by U2 last time so I'm sure they could please their masters at Live Nation with a sell out show there and I'm sure there are plenty of other venues they could visit too with the same result.

1st August 1987 the best U2 concert ever! what a day and what show!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
I would hope they would play at Aviva instead of Croke Park, after all of the complaints. Plus that stadium is EPIC!

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »
Plus throw into the mix that it's the first Take That tour with Robbie Williams joining the fold.

Ticket demand is going to be massive for that show in the UK.

It also makes it hard for U2 to probably book dates in the UK as well given the time frame the band needs in a venue for stage construction, performance and stage break down.

I guess they aren't kidding when they say Glasto is the only UK date for 2011.

Can't see U2 hitting the UK until late august / early september, i guess it would coincide with Euro 2012 qualifiers, which would make the likes of Murrayfield, Millenium stadium, Wembley stadium, twickenham, and a old trafford cricket stadium in the north as possibilities, so take that is an irrelevance in terms of dated and uk touring

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »

This is there tour

Dublin Croke Park (18)

U2 wouldnt even come close to filling out those dates , 7 dates at wembley stadium :o

Ref Take That - the biggest insight here is the stadiums that may have used up their quotas - Foo Fighters are touring outside next year so I'm thinking that a UK (anyway) tour could be diminishing?
[/quote]

Foo fighters are doing milton keynes bowl, if wembley is out, they will use twickenham

Offline robbrecon72

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »

This is there tour

Dublin Croke Park (18)

[/quote]

in 2009 u2 played to 574,852 people in the UK/Ireland in only 8 shows.  that's half of Take That's tour of 25 shows to 1,000,000 people which is not bad at all considering Take That and Robbie Williams together are the two biggest UK acts of the past 20 years. 

Offline Springsteen82

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 02:29:37 PM »
TT are bigger touring act in the UK than U2. But one must also factor in that TT are not big outside the UK and Ireland - so unlike bands such as U2 and Coldplay have the luxury of doing as many dates as they want in the UK as they don't have to work around a big schedule. It is correct however that with TT and Robbie as a joint force there is really no-one, possibly with the exception of a reformed Led Zep would could shift more tickets. 7 nights at Wembley is the same as MJ's record and more dates there are expected to be announced within days.

As far as the U2 tour coming back to the UK and Ireland. I had hoped they would headline Slane the weekend after Glasto as they would already have a non-360 show prepared for a big field. A more stripped down show. But now the KOL have Slane as early as a may U2 will not be playing. I am holding onto hope they will play the new Aviva Stadium though but I can't see them bringing the stage all the way over just to Ireland. My ideal choice would be a few intimate (by U2 standards) gigs in the O2 Arena in Dublin. Totally striped back and raw performance. One can dream. 8)