Author Topic: Why won't love find it's own way in The Tree Sunrises?  (Read 5598 times)

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
  • U2 has disappointed me. My entire collection 4sale
Why won't love find it's own way in The Tree Sunrises?
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
Does anybody know why Bono says "Love WON'T find it's own way home" in The Three Sunrises?  I always thought love would find it's own way home  :-\  What am I missing?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Why won't love find it's own way in The Tree Sunrises?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »
During the recording of TUF Bono was all about not writing lyrics down, but throwing away the script and just improvising. So most likely that line doesn't mean anything in particular. I mean, listen to Indian Summer Sky, right? Great evocative words but pretty much no meaning.

(If it were 2000, Bono would have written "The sky is Indian, Indian as a person from India. And the summer sky is hot, hot as a hair dryer.")

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 01:34:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
During the recording of TUF Bono was all about not writing lyrics down, but throwing away the script and just improvising. So most likely that line doesn't mean anything in particular. I mean, listen to Indian Summer Sky, right? Great evocative words but pretty much no meaning.

(If it were 2000, Bono would have written "The sky is Indian, Indian as a person from India. And the summer sky is hot, hot as a hair dryer.")

hehe.

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »

lol!  Thanks.  he's a pretty frustrating lyricist, but I love him!

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »

Improvisation, sure, but I still think that what Bono came up with contains plenty of meaning.

In the context of this song, I think "Love won't find its own way home" matches the intent of the opening line, "Spirit of the rising sun, lift me up." In other words, the speaker needs help to get home. (While Bono often uses "love" as a synonym for God, I don't think we really see that usage much before Rattle and Hum.)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »

One of your greatest ever there Exile...  :D :D :D

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »

I know. I should be a songwriter in U2, that would be awesome (as awesome as a really awesome thing).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 05:42:49 PM by The Exile »

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:16:16 PM »
Improvisation, sure, but I still think that what Bono came up with contains plenty of meaning.

In the context of this song, I think "Love won't find its own way home" matches the intent of the opening line, "Spirit of the rising sun, lift me up." In other words, the speaker needs help to get home. (While Bono often uses "love" as a synonym for God, I don't think we really see that usage much before Rattle and Hum.)

I love it!  just what I was looking for  ;D  Thanks!!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:41:29 AM »

I know. I should be a songwriter in U2, that would be awesome (as awesome as a really awesome thing).

You didn't write the lyrics, and the lyrics didn't write you?

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 06:42:18 AM »
Actually I think the reason Love can't find is way is that, in this case, Love is a woman.

And women can't read maps.

So love is lost.

WonderifI'llgetawaywiththat?

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »
Do you actually think I'd let you get away with that, Briscoe?! Just your luck I am online just when you posted it  :D!!!

This woman can read a map better than anyone!  Remember , it is the man who won't ask for directions when he doesn't understand the map so I'd say Love here is a man  :D :D :D    ;)   

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 06:45:56 AM »
Man will not ask for directions not because he is lost, but because the destination is in the wrong place. It's very simple.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 06:47:12 AM »
Man will not ask for directions not because he is lost, but because the destination is in the wrong place. It's very simple.

Oh please  :D   :P  ;)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
Actually I think the reason Love can't find is way is that, in this case, Love is a woman.

And women can't read maps.

So love is lost.

Sorry, my eyes rolled so far back in my head it took a few minutes for them to come back to the front........

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 12:35:18 AM »
Do you actually think I'd let you get away with that, Briscoe?! Just your luck I am online just when you posted it  :D!!!

This woman can read a map better than anyone!  Remember , it is the man who won't ask for directions when he doesn't understand the map so I'd say Love here is a man  :D :D :D    ;)   

I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!