Author Topic: Original of the Species  (Read 2360 times)

The Promenade

Re: Original of the Species
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 06:31:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree. I love the song but those lyrics aren't great

Yes - lovely melody, lovely sentiment then those lyrics. Same with MOS. Bad lyrics can ruin a song...

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 06:52:57 AM »
Usually when they got down under, they are treated to some very different sets with some unusual songs so you never know.
Have a wee look at the Vertigo sets , some were excellent.

Melbourne 2 had the best setlist but Melbourne 1 was the best show in Australia for mine.

Auckland 2 was an amazing night as well.

On the topic, I'd love to hear them play it, agree it's the best song on Bomb and holds a really special place in my heart, that song.

My guess would be that for a lot of people who have daughters, that song holds a special place in their hearts.  The "please stay a child smewhere in your heart" line gets me every time. 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Yep. It's a brilliant line.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 07:18:04 AM »
Wait till your daughter's a teenager.  That line'll really get you.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 05:48:39 AM »
Wait till your daughter's a teenager.  That line'll really get you.

Fair enough - it's bad enough at 4...!!!

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »
This song is gorgeous, particularly in its acoustic incarnation.  I'm not sure it would work in a stadium - the song is too delicate.  Someone would be talking, or shoving, or going for a beer, and if I were Larry I'd want to throw a stick and scream, "STAND STILL AND LISTEN!!!"

Along the "everything that you want" line - I have always interpreted it along the lines of how a parent can give a child all kinds of things, all the material things that the child wants, but what we all really want is love and attention - and some parents aren't able to give that to their kids.  The lyric makes sense to me.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 10:43:57 AM »
the lyrics are a bit too sickly sweet for me, something which bono is becoming prone to writing more and more these days.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »
This song is gorgeous, particularly in its acoustic incarnation.  I'm not sure it would work in a stadium - the song is too delicate.  Someone would be talking, or shoving, or going for a beer, and if I were Larry I'd want to throw a stick and scream, "STAND STILL AND LISTEN!!!"

Along the "everything that you want" line - I have always interpreted it along the lines of how a parent can give a child all kinds of things, all the material things that the child wants, but what we all really want is love and attention - and some parents aren't able to give that to their kids.  The lyric makes sense to me.

Yes, and it doesn't just apply to a parent/child relationship; if you're married, the couplet makes a whole lot of sense, as you'll inevitably find yourself at some point thinking you've given your spouse what she or he wanted, only to find out that you haven't. It can also be seen as a line from a human being to God. (The Edge said that the song started out as being written with a teenager in mind, but that it evolved beyond that.)