Author Topic: Songs of Ascent out early next year  (Read 14667 times)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Re: Songs of Ascent out early next year
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »
I'm afraid i have no idea how i'd find the actual interview, but i read it here at @u2
... Bono said something along the lines of NLOTH being too deep and dark, and not 'accessible for kids' (or something), citing moment of surrender as an example. The thrust of his argument seemed to be that NLOTH was too experimental to be successful. I would have argued the opposite - that it wasn't experimental enough, with the least impressive and least creative tracks being used to represent the album on radio.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »
Unless this is totally and completely in the bag already, this isnt happening next year at all.   They are scheduling too many dates next year to fine tune a release, especially one following the last release that was relatively unknown.    A live EP I would believe, and I think we all know what would be on it.   

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
So why would BWFFTS be on SoA AND the Spidey OST? I mean it WOULD be on Spidey, right? It is in that musical and all

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Unless this is totally and completely in the bag already, this isnt happening next year at all.   They are scheduling too many dates next year to fine tune a release, especially one following the last release that was relatively unknown.    A live EP I would believe, and I think we all know what would be on it.   

THIS!

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
So why would BWFFTS be on SoA AND the Spidey OST? I mean it WOULD be on Spidey, right? It is in that musical and all
I assume that the musical will have the lead actors singing their parts and not U2.  Thus it would be nice to have a few of those songs recorded by U2.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2010, 11:58:06 PM »
I'm confused about why people seem to be bashing ATYCLB and HTDAAB.  I see the term "over-commercialized" whenever these two albums come up.  They were heavily commercialized because U2 happens to be the biggest band in the world. Why all the negativity? ATYCLB and HTDAAB were fantastic albums.  Beautiful Day and Vertigo were great songs (although I admit I would have liked to have seen Native Son stay as it was instead of being transformed into Vertigo).  NLOTH was more experimental, but I thought it was a great album as well.  I think the only U2 album that I have beef with is Pop because it sounds unpolished (and by the band's own admission, it is).

I'm super psyched about a new EP next month and the new album early next year.  I love most of the new stuff they've performed this summer in Europe (not too big on North Star or Glastonbury, but they're not bad).  I can't wait to hear the studio version of EBW with the full band.  BFFTS sounded awesome in Portugal.  I LOVE what they did with Mercy (way better than the 6+ minute version that was left off of HTDAAB).  And I think my favorite addition has been ROTSG (which I hope they keep as an intro track on the album much like Coldplay did with "Life in Technicolor" on Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends).  Basically, I'm of the opinion that U2 can pretty much do no wrong.  The future looks bright for U2 fans from where I'm sitting.  I'll be thrilled with whatever they put out because I know they'll have put their hearts and souls into it like they always have.

7 months and 16 days until I finally get to see them live (Seattle).

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2010, 12:02:31 AM »
I'm confused about why people seem to be bashing ATYCLB and HTDAAB.  I see the term "over-commercialized" whenever these two albums come up.  They were heavily commercialized because U2 happens to be the biggest band in the world. Why all the negativity? ATYCLB and HTDAAB were fantastic albums.  Beautiful Day and Vertigo were great songs (although I admit I would have liked to have seen Native Son stay as it was instead of being transformed into Vertigo).  NLOTH was more experimental, but I thought it was a great album as well.  I think the only U2 album that I have beef with is Pop because it sounds unpolished (and by the band's own admission, it is).

I'm super psyched about a new EP next month and the new album early next year.  I love most of the new stuff they've performed this summer in Europe (not too big on North Star or Glastonbury, but they're not bad).  I can't wait to hear the studio version of EBW with the full band.  BFFTS sounded awesome in Portugal.  I LOVE what they did with Mercy (way better than the 6+ minute version that was left off of HTDAAB).  And I think my favorite addition has been ROTSG (which I hope they keep as an intro track on the album much like Coldplay did with "Life in Technicolor" on Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends).  Basically, I'm of the opinion that U2 can pretty much do no wrong.  The future looks bright for U2 fans from where I'm sitting.  I'll be thrilled with whatever they put out because I know they'll have put their hearts and souls into it like they always have.

7 months and 16 days until I finally get to see them live (Seattle).

Welcome to the forum, Ryan.

You'll find that we all love U2, but some of us are more cranky than others. I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't get cranky about U2 if I didn't value them so much, and if I didn't have so much invested in them over the years.

PS - I'll be at the Seattle show, too.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2010, 07:22:25 AM »
I think Exile put it best somewhere else (paraphrasing here):

You're not a real U2 fan unless you hate 80% of their work.

:D

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »
I think Exile put it best somewhere else (paraphrasing here):

You're not a real U2 fan unless you hate 80% of their work.

:D

It's 87%, actually....

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
North Star had better be on SoA.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »
oh, i only HATE 2/3 of HTDAAB, and maybe Boots/Comedy <obviously lol>

i like or LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the rest

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2010, 07:03:36 AM »
Well, it looks like Songs of Ascent will never see the light of day according to what Bono said to Australian press.  I knew this would happen.  Probably got scared off by the lack of reception to NLOH.  What a shame.  Apparently they have got a collection of songs with Danger Mouse who I'm not familiar with.  Is this going to be a rock album?  And what is going to happen to Songs of Ascent? And it looks like Bono and Edge are still trying to convince Adam and Larry to make Spiderman a U2 project.

Offline twcrawford

• Refugee
  • REEEEEJOOOOOOOooooooice!
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2010, 07:25:42 AM »
I wouldn't lose hope quite yet for SOA. To get a good idea of who Danger Mouse is, and why Bono & Edge like him, go listen to Broken Bells, a colab with the Shin's front man. The band has this listed as something they are listening to. My initial thought was that DM would be doing the Club album, but that apparently is no the case according to some of the articles out there. He certainly wouldn't be producing the unlikely U2 Spidey album (which Larry is against). That leaves the Rock album and Songs of Ascent, and I think SOA is more likely in DM's wheelhouse.

This however does leave out the possibility of another album that they haven't even mentioned. But of all the albums mentioned, DM could very likely be the producer of SOA, IMHO.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »
I love DM but I don't see him and a "real" U2 album working well together.  He's very down tempo and subtle, not things I associate much with U2. 

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »
It woulnt surprise me if DM was producing SOA. Lanois is busy with Black Dub (about to start touring) and Eno is supposedly busy with Coldplay and his new album. I also wonder if it will even end up being called Songs of Ascent.