Author Topic: Songs of Ascent out early next year  (Read 13984 times)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
Re: Songs of Ascent out early next year
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2010, 05:45:56 AM »
whack a live 'Breathe' on it to make up for Rose Bowl please. Ta

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2010, 07:08:35 AM »
We have some more (Completely RIDICULOUS, IMO) news!

From u2tour via Google Translate;

"Now we are surprised something like this morning reported that Amazon lists recently launched a new publication entitled U2-Wide Awake in Europe (click here), on 22 to appear November. Now we have confirmation: it's 6 track EP of live recordings that have emerged this summer in Europe. A tracklist is not yet known to us. However, this EP will appear only in the USA and is available only in indie stores will serve. We are excited and tell you then!"

So there you go;

-All - live
-Probably vinyl-only
-Six tracks from the European tour
-USA only
-Only available in Indy shops

Can you say import?  ;D

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2010, 07:10:03 AM »
US only? Who's gonna buy me a copy? Any volunteers?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2010, 07:18:37 AM »
Wow, well if I can't pay for it then I won't Mr McG
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:41:17 AM by Bads316 »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We have some more (Completely RIDICULOUS, IMO) news!

From u2tour via Google Translate;

"Now we are surprised something like this morning reported that Amazon lists recently launched a new publication entitled U2-Wide Awake in Europe (click here), on 22 to appear November. Now we have confirmation: it's 6 track EP of live recordings that have emerged this summer in Europe. A tracklist is not yet known to us. However, this EP will appear only in the USA and is available only in indie stores will serve. We are excited and tell you then!"

So there you go;

-All - live
-Probably vinyl-only
-Six tracks from the European tour
-USA only
-Only available in Indy shops

Can you say import?  ;D

Is it just me, or is it hilariously ironic that a release called 'wide awake in EUROPE', filled with songs played in EUROPE, is only going to be available in america?
What the hell?
Oh well, as Bads316 said, if they don't want us to get it legally, that's up to them  :P

EDIT: BVS on interference points out this u2tour report has already got holes in it - it reported the EP would be usa-only, but its been discovered via the UK amazon site. If its wrong about that, maybe its wrong about everything being live (hopefully)?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:34:22 AM by JamietheEdgefan »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »
Now that we know they're all gonna be live tracks, what are everyones predictions?
I imagine 3 or 4 will be big, well known songs, and 2 or 3 will be newbies - most likely Stingray and Glastonbury - both sound born to be played live, and i wouldn't be surprised is mercy and North star are being saved for the big album apparently coming out next year (ebw is a given, as it's being described as the next big single).

But if the EP is getting such a limited release, maybe there's nothing special on it... if it really is usa-only, and only available in indie shops (wtf, why would u2 become indie now of all times), i wouldnt be surprised if no new tracks are on it  :-[

• Holy Joe
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2010, 08:38:15 AM »
EDIT: BVS on interference points out this u2tour report has already got holes in it - it reported the EP would be usa-only, but its been discovered via the UK amazon site. If its wrong about that, maybe its wrong about everything being live (hopefully)?

Nope, note that the UK version specifically says [Import], so it actually does click.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »

Nope, note that the UK version specifically says [Import], so it actually does click.

Oh. Grrr  >:(

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
I didn't realize there was a thread for this already. I did check.

Anyways, this news is very exciting.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »
I just read the Irish Times article and I am not so sure this is new news.  Not sure how reliable the Times is (meaning I am not aware if they are reliable or not),  but they do not quote Paul McGuiness directly on any of the items they talk about.  I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but it sounds like the article is a rehash of a number of things that McGuiness has been saying in various places and times over the last few months.

Thoughts??

Don't get me wrong-- I sincerely hope the Times is right and that McGuiness did directly say that U2 will get an album out in early 2011.  And then I REALLY hope they do get an album out!!!  :D

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »
i'm excited about a new album. i don't understand the excitement for this apparent live ep. firstly, we've seen and heard ALL of the songs rumoured to be on it. also, if it's true about one, pride and beautiful day, why are they doing it? those tunes are already on countless live dvd's. why would i want to buy an ep with those songs on it? more weird and bizarre decisions from u2 inc (that is if the rumours prove to be founded)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
I just read the Irish Times article and I am not so sure this is new news.  Not sure how reliable the Times is (meaning I am not aware if they are reliable or not),  but they do not quote Paul McGuiness directly on any of the items they talk about.  I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but it sounds like the article is a rehash of a number of things that McGuiness has been saying in various places and times over the last few months.

Thoughts??

Don't get me wrong-- I sincerely hope the Times is right and that McGuiness did directly say that U2 will get an album out in early 2011.  And then I REALLY hope they do get an album out!!!  :D

Well, the quotes from Paul McGuiness are definitely new, i don't think its a collection of past statements - it's him directly saying he thinks early 2011 is the date. But i think what's more troubling is the fact SoA has been pushed back several times already. The last time SoA got a release date, it was when he said if he was 'wildly optimistic', he'd guess late 2010. Now he's saying 'if he was guessing, early 2011'. It sounds too similar to the vague, and ultimately untrue statements we've heard before.
This is why i said in the op that we should take this with a pinch of salt. I mean, "sooner than anyone thinks", and "i'd guess early 2011" sounds better than "if i had to be wildly optimistic". But it's not exactly a press statement, with a confirmed album name and track list, is it?  :P

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »
i'm excited about a new album. i don't understand the excitement for this apparent live ep. firstly, we've seen and heard ALL of the songs rumoured to be on it. also, if it's true about one, pride and beautiful day, why are they doing it? those tunes are already on countless live dvd's. why would i want to buy an ep with those songs on it? more weird and bizarre decisions from u2 inc (that is if the rumours prove to be founded)

I think hearing good quality live recordings of the new songs would be cool enough, and, even if unlikely, the possibility of getting studio versions of them is pretty awesome. Also, the one, pride, BD track list was someone joking on interference, i just didn't realise. As far as we know, it wont be anything like that  :)

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2010, 12:24:23 PM »
McGuiness still trying to defend the sales of "NLOTH" is a bit embarrassing.

That album, I guarantee, did not sniff any of the internal sales projections - adjusted or unadjusted for the world econmy - that U2 Central predicted. McGuiness should just shut up and focus more on getting a quality album to the market instead.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
I very much doubt that at 5 million units, NLOTH fell much below projected sales- probably a bit, mind you, but not much.