Author Topic: Songs of Ascent out early next year  (Read 14670 times)

Offline TheFlyLives

• Refugee
  • From the firefly, the red orange glow
Re: Songs of Ascent out early next year
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2010, 02:57:53 AM »
New album in early 2011?

I hate being proven to be full of s--t  ;D

Offline homing_pidgeon

• Wanderer
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2010, 05:23:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i would suggest there will be no songs of ascent early next year.

no offence but i'm going to take paul mcguinness' word over yours.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:19 AM »
what do you mean...last new years bono said there would be an album in the summer...then they said there would be an album by christmas...now they are saying there will be an album early next year. if they were going to really release an album...they would just announce it.

i think they are just building anticipation. its a trick of theirs. but i wouldnt have any faith in a album early next year, until they announce it.

Offline hallogallo

• Stateless
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2010, 07:27:34 AM »
They should just cut the crap and release an album when it's ready.  All the hype is really annoying.

Offline homing_pidgeon

• Wanderer
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »
what do you mean...last new years bono said there would be an album in the summer...then they said there would be an album by christmas...now they are saying there will be an album early next year. if they were going to really release an album...they would just announce it.

i think they are just building anticipation. its a trick of theirs. but i wouldnt have any faith in a album early next year, until they announce it.

paul mcguinness made fun of bono's previous statement and called it "highly unlikely".

he's the business manager for a reason. he doesn't go around making bogus statements. bono on the other hand . . .

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2010, 09:43:52 AM »
It seems like they have decided to take the well-publicised album title "Songs Of Ascent" and stick it to a different album than what they originally intended it to be. Does this mean they will again be butchering an artistic album concept in favour of a commercial album concept? Don't they remember how that did not work with "No Line On the Horizon"?

I'm looking forward to their next album and hope that their rising curve of form will continue going up and further recovering from the lowpoint that was HTDAAB.
But really, an album title like "Songs Of Ascent" must be released together in a package with a perfume titled "U2 - A Scent"

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »
It seems like they have decided to take the well-publicised album title "Songs Of Ascent" and stick it to a different album than what they originally intended it to be. Does this mean they will again be butchering an artistic album concept in favour of a commercial album concept? Don't they remember how that did not work with "No Line On the Horizon"?

There's absolutely no question in my mind that the answer is yes. They pulled NLOTH at the last minute to add Lillywhite's ditties (which ruined the mood completely), and once NLOTH failed to live up to U2's expectations, they started backpedaling on SOA. The version we'll get, if we ever get one, will not be the album they've been describing. It will be more radio-friendly.

Just think of what they did to Mercy as a metaphor.

PS - The scary thing is that if the next album is great, then NLOTH will be remembered as the stepping-stone to that greatness. But if the next album sounds like Behind or Bomb, then NLOTH will be remembered as merely a momentary flash of semi-daringness sandwiched between a bunch of domesticated mediocrity.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:42:10 AM by The Exile »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »

There's absolutely no question in my mind that the answer is yes. They pulled NLOTH at the last minute to add Lillywhite's ditties (which ruined the mood completely), and once NLOTH failed to live up to U2's expectations, they started backpedaling on SOA. The version we'll get, if we ever get one, will not be the album they've been describing. It will be more radio-friendly.

Just think of what they did to Mercy as a metaphor.

PS - The scary thing is that if the next album is great, then NLOTH will be remembered as the stepping-stone to that greatness. But if the next album sounds like Behind or Bomb, then NLOTH will be remembered as merely a momentary flash of semi-daringness sandwiched between a bunch of domesticated mediocrity.

I have to say, i don't think SoA is going to be corrupted into another ATYCLB or HTDAAB.
If NLOTH actually came out the way it was promised to (ultra experimental) and then failed, then i'd believe another 'Bomb' was coming. But the thing is, NLOTH failed commercially because it marketed itself through songs like GOYB and Crazy tonight, the former riding the success of vertigo, the latter being 'classic u2'. The fact that they failed must have shown u2 that they can't just pedal out HTDAAB  repeats if they actually want success. Sure, they might not think it a good idea to make a bunch of Moment of Surrenders for the next album and singles, but they sure as hell wont make any more vertigo or beautiful day rip offs.
They know they can't find success by ripping off HTDAAB.
They think they can't find success through eno-style songs anymore (eg magnificent).
I think that means we'll get something completely new.  :)
And looking at EBW, which is meant to be the 'next big single', i think that has the potential to be the next great u2 song, without having to be radio friendly or safe... it just kicks ass (and actually makes me happy GOYB failed)!

Boom Cha!

« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
I think it's funny that we're judging an album before it's even released.  :D

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »
If NLOTH actually came out the way it was promised to (ultra experimental) and then failed, then i'd believe another 'Bomb' was coming. But the thing is, NLOTH failed commercially because it marketed itself through songs like GOYB and Crazy tonight, the former riding the success of vertigo, the latter being 'classic u2'. The fact that they failed must have shown u2 that they can't just pedal out HTDAAB  repeats if they actually want success.

That is a great point, and I sincerely hope U2 understands this. But my fear is that they think the opposite, namely, that if NLOTH was more radio-friendly and less experimental, it would have done better.

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
If NLOTH actually came out the way it was promised to (ultra experimental) and then failed, then i'd believe another 'Bomb' was coming. But the thing is, NLOTH failed commercially because it marketed itself through songs like GOYB and Crazy tonight, the former riding the success of vertigo, the latter being 'classic u2'. The fact that they failed must have shown u2 that they can't just pedal out HTDAAB  repeats if they actually want success.

That is a great point, and I sincerely hope U2 understands this. But my fear is that they think the opposite, namely, that if NLOTH was more radio-friendly and less experimental, it would have done better.

Yes, I suspect this too^

I'm wondering if Soon will make the album as it could be a bit of a yardstick with which to judge their mindset.

I know it's already appeared on vinyl, but for me it was the most 'experimental' of the new songs - with perhaps 'Boy Falls' being the next. (though that would probably appear on a soundtrack album?)

Much of the other new stuff does not really do it for me and sounds fairly standard fare, though I guess we've only been hearing live renditions in development.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »

Yes, I suspect this too^

I'm wondering if Soon will make the album as it could be a bit of a yardstick with which to judge their mindset.

I know it's already appeared on vinyl, but for me it was the most 'experimental' of the new songs - with perhaps 'Boy Falls' being the next. (though that would probably appear on a soundtrack album?)

Much of the other new stuff does not really do it for me and sounds fairly standard fare, though I guess we've only been hearing live renditions in development.

i agree with dangerous and honest and the exile on this. no line has always been peddled as a largely experimental album. i can foresee a post-pop type retreat on the cards, with u2 going back to more traditional sounds and colours. i hope i'm wrong, but judging by the new material, it's looking likelier by the day.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »

Yeah that's worth considering too - after all, Bono did recently blame MOS for NLOTHs failure, as opposed to GOYB (which i think was the real cause). It's worrying that he said something like that, and i think it's also troubling that the new songs Glastonbury, North Star, and Mercy all sound so 'classic u2', and kinda lame (imo), as it signals a 'safer' album approach.
It's strange that they would decide to go the 'safer route' after they gave NLOTH a 'safe song' transplant - the general public, who only bought the singles, or heard the radio, would think of GOYB and Crazy Tonight (hell even magnificent is classic u2 - echo guitar and "love" lyrics) when thinking of NLOTH. And these songs did poorly compared to the previous albums singles, and thus significantly effected NLOTHs sales. If they had released something that had a good tune, and showed genuine creativity and a new direction (e.g. NLOTH or MoS), i genuinely believe they would have had a lot more success. I'm surprised, after hearing North Star, Glastonbury, and Mercy, that they honestly think doing what they did with the last singles that failed (making them 'classic u2') will somehow this time bring them success. I thought NLOTH's failure would have shown them not to go the safe road.  :-\

Having said that, i think EBW is an exception to this, and shows NLOTH has not been completely abandoned, and least not in concept. I think they are still capable of releasing Mercy and Glastonbury as stand alone singles right now, to give us something to tide us over, before an EBW lead single next year before SoA. I'm holding out hope for that. It would mean more u2 in general, and the salvation of SoA - hell i don't even mind if it doesn't end up being 'meditative', as long as it doesn't have crap like North star, Glastonbury or (sorry, i love you mercy, but you're too old fashioned for a new album) Mercy.

Given that u2 have talked about considering different ways of releasing their new material, i think there is at least a possibility of the above option happening. I REALLY hope it doesn't all get jammed into one album. My proposed way means we all get more songs, and possibly a better SoA  :P

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
Jamie, where did Bono blame MOS for NLOTH's failure?

Offline simba8

• Babyface
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »

Out early 2011
Provisionally named 'Songs of Ascent'
Includes various types of songs (as opposed to divided into 4 albums), including EBW, Mercy, and Boy Falls From the Sky

i wont hold my breath.
we thought this past spring...before the tour they would release something....and they didn't