Author Topic: Bono interview in Australian Press (3 parts)  (Read 11384 times)

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Bono interview in Australian Press (3 parts)
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2010, 05:10:28 AM »
U2 have always wanted to be on the radio
U2 have always wanted to release Hit singles.
There is absolutely nothing new here. just go back as far as Boy, War and even the unforgettable fire. they were so worried it didn't do good that they did everything they could to get a Hit, and they came up with Pride. you can look for it it is everywhere.
So this argument saying that they are becoming like the Stones because they just want to be on the radio and sell singles is completely irrelevant to me.
i don't want them to become the Stones, and i certainly don't want them to be Sonic Youth either, a bunch of pretentious p****s!!!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There is absolutely nothing new here. just go back as far as Boy, War and even the unforgettable fire
. they were so worried it didn't do good that they did everything they could to get a Hit, and they came up with Pride. you can look for it it is everywhere.
So this argument saying that they are becoming like the Stones because they just want to be on the radio and sell singles is completely irrelevant to me.
i don't want them to become the Stones, and i certainly don't want them to be Sonic Youth either, a bunch of pretentious p****s!!!

but the point is, you could actually hear some good music on the radio in the 80's and 90's, even the early 00's. there were a lot of credible bands who WANTED their music on the radio during that time. but over the last 2-3 years, radio has just become full of teeny popsters, either singing on their own or collaborating with a hip-hop star. it is totally throw-away music with no depth or meaning or musical credibility. why do u2 want to be a part of that? what other credible band these days wants to have a single on the radio competing with the teeny-boppers? i can't think of any. i don't think it is important for a band to have a hit single. bands accept that most of their output will be illegally downloaded, so they switch their money-making to touring, and trying to sell as many ALBUMS as possible. the only way u2 will get on the radio is by making the same type of soulless guff that is already on there. and that is a big mistake imho. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:37:03 AM by miami »

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2010, 06:50:35 AM »
ALL! All of them! They all want to be on the radio. and if they say otherwise they are lying.
And in the end it is not up to U2 or other bands to be on the radio. the guys in charge of the programs do choose the songs they want to play.
Remember watching the Independent Music Awards... think that was on MTV or something like that... i thought that was already a bit of a contradiction that they were making a TV show for Independent labels... which shows, like most bands that were interviewed that night, that they'd love to make it big and then mainstream.
Kings of Leon want to be on the radio. Arcade Fire too. Radiohead. Muse. just name them if they didn't want to be what's the point in making an album and go out there to promote it? as long as a band is contracted to a Record Company it is to get its songs promoted and thus played on the radio among other media

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2010, 06:59:02 AM »
There is absolutely nothing new here. just go back as far as Boy, War and even the unforgettable fire
. they were so worried it didn't do good that they did everything they could to get a Hit, and they came up with Pride. you can look for it it is everywhere.

but the point is, you could actually hear some good music on the radio in the 80's and 90's, even the early 00's. there were a lot of credible bands who WANTED their music on the radio during that time. but over the last 2-3 years, radio has just become full of teeny popsters, either singing on their own or collaborating with a hip-hop star. it is totally throw-away music with no depth or meaning or musical credibility. why do u2 want to be a part of that? what other credible band these days wants to have a single on the radio competing with the teeny-boppers? i can't think of any. i don't think it is important for a band to have a hit single. bands accept that most of their output will be illegally downloaded, so they switch their money-making to touring, and trying to sell as many ALBUMS as possible. the only way u2 will get on the radio is by making the same type of soulless guff that is already on there. and that is a big mistake imho. 

Good post.

Offline hallogallo

• Stateless
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2010, 07:17:11 AM »
There is absolutely nothing new here. just go back as far as Boy, War and even the unforgettable fire. they were so worried it didn't do good that they did everything they could to get a Hit, and they came up with Pride. you can look for it it is everywhere.

I don't think a follower of U2 can call any band 'pretentious' unless your glasshouse is bulletproof. Have you ever heard Bono speak?  Or Thurston Moore?  SY are regular people...

Sonic Youth have never pretended to be anything more than a noisy, experimental rock band.  They are certainly not the SERIOUS ARTISTS that think they are.  They have dignity and their most recent albums are their most accessible, but their next one might be 2 25 minute skronk fests.  See, they do what they want WITHOUT CATERING TO A CONDESCENDING NOTION OF WHAT THE PUBLIC WANTS. Sure, they want to be on the radio - everyone does.  Every artist wants to be heard.  But they do what they want, and if anyone else likes it, as they should, that's great.  And they definitely should not stoop to work with William or Guetta. 

U2 are the late-90s Rolling Stones trying to be Madonna.  I hope to hell this "club" album does not happen.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:11 AM »
U2 do what they want...
i just think Sonic Youth's music is pretentious although i acknowledge their music influenced Achtung Baby in some ways

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:10 AM »
ALL! All of them! They all want to be on the radio. and if they say otherwise they are lying.
And in the end it is not up to U2 or other bands to be on the radio. the guys in charge of the programs do choose the songs they want to play.
Remember watching the Independent Music Awards... think that was on MTV or something like that... i thought that was already a bit of a contradiction that they were making a TV show for Independent labels... which shows, like most bands that were interviewed that night, that they'd love to make it big and then mainstream.
Kings of Leon want to be on the radio. Arcade Fire too. Radiohead. Muse. just name them if they didn't want to be what's the point in making an album and go out there to promote it? as long as a band is contracted to a Record Company it is to get its songs promoted and thus played on the radio among other media

ok, i'm sure all bands like a bit of recognition, and if they hear their songs on the radio, they wouldn't complain. but what other credible bands, other than u2, are working with people like david guetta, wil.l.i .....whatever his name is, and lady gaga's producer in the vain hope of scoring a radio hit? Answer, none. i hate the fact that u2 are sinking to those levels just to get a hit played on the radio!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:01:17 AM by miami »

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »
Miami, about their collaborations... i'll make up my mind once i have listened to it. and what are you going to say if it is any good. i don't like Guetta, but what if it works? you see this move as a way for U2 to score a hit, others can see that as taking a risk artistically and commercially. that's u2 throwing the dice again. will work? won't work? who know?

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2010, 09:41:46 AM »
they did it with Paul Oakenfold in the 90s... so i can't really see the difference between now and what they tried around achtung baby and pop trying to get their songs played in clubs and stuff. the only one i see is that they don't them to be remixes but real u2 songs!
and will I am has worked with many artists as a producer

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »
The band wants some of what them young people are listening to. 

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »
Miami, about their collaborations... i'll make up my mind once i have listened to it. and what are you going to say if it is any good. i don't like Guetta, but what if it works? you see this move as a way for U2 to score a hit, others can see that as taking a risk artistically and commercially. that's u2 throwing the dice again. will work? won't work? who know?

we'll see. if u2 are just looking to get their songs on the radio for mass appeal, we will be able to judge when we hear the material. if on the other hand, they are taking a chance and are going to collaborate in making daring challenging music, i for one will be delighted.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
These "oh noes! end of the world" posts are getting tiring.