Author Topic: OK, lets sort this out  (Read 11597 times)

The Promenade

Re: OK, lets sort this out
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2010, 05:00:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There's a difference between multi layered-complicated/mysterious lyrics, and Bono trying to get away with BS. :-) He does both quite often, so this is not an attack, but North Star (if not written for a fantasy movie soundtrack) sounds like BS with its current lyrics. He might rewrite it yet, so I don't judge it permanently, and will listen to the finished product of course.

i'm really agreeing with you! Bono and U2 on a few tracks are getting a little too Bon Jovi, and Bryan Adams for my comfort zone. Come on U2...experiment a little.  Screw mainstream. part of the problem is the fans though. When I go to U2 concerts and most fans completely don't care for any new music...by some of the better opening acts..or U2, it's making me think that quite a few U2 fans aren't evolving their own music tastes. This is a problem for the band actually. How do you move forward when fans are so regimented?

Can't really agree with you on this. The only song on NLOTH that resembles Bon Jovi would be Stand Up Comedy, and even I would argue that that is better than at least half of Bon Jovi's catalogue through my ears! (I don't mind SUC that much as others)

There's a difference between multi layered-complicated/mysterious lyrics, and Bono trying to get away with BS. :-) He does both quite often, so this is not an attack, but North Star (if not written for a fantasy movie soundtrack) sounds like BS with its current lyrics. He might rewrite it yet, so I don't judge it permanently, and will listen to the finished product of course.

i'm really agreeing with you! Bono and U2 on a few tracks are getting a little too Bon Jovi, and Bryan Adams for my comfort zone. Come on U2...experiment a little.  Screw mainstream. part of the problem is the fans though. When I go to U2 concerts and most fans completely don't care for any new music...by some of the better opening acts..or U2, it's making me think that quite a few U2 fans aren't evolving their own music tastes. This is a problem for the band actually. How do you move forward when fans are so regimented?

I guess the reason for a narrow "band-width" :-) on the input side of U2 fans is due to their age and mindset. Classic U2 is passionate, heartfelt, bombastic and immediate music, that reaches out mostly to teenagers. So there you have roughly 2/3 of all fans from the '80s (teens then) and '00s(teens now) . These fans want their stadium sized heart, and there are few bands that do that well today (and much less do it with a positive message), and said U2 fans do actually react favourably to those other select few (Arcade F, Killers, Coldplay and the like), while not being interested in the more intricate dare I say "intellectual" stuff that is so hip today with hipsters. The '90s were a lucky cross section for U2, where they delivered to both, and it's the reason I still listen to them, and mainly to their '90s music. The teens today will probably grow out of the "classic" U2 phase, and find some more music to love. Some sad bastards will probably listen to inferior stuff like Snow Patrol and the then equivalents whatever those may end up being. Some others will find something more artistically worthwhile through U2 (U2's influences are a good place to start, Bowie, Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, the soul greats, the Bible) or other channels. Enjoy the ride!

I get the feeling that you're undermining 80's U2 a fair bit there. There's a fair bit of work there that I wouldn't call immediate. And in addition the majority of teenagers nowadays would not touch U2 with a 10 foot pole, preferably listening to fuddy duddy rock bands and commercial radio.

What sort of "intellectual" music were you referring to? I listen to a fair bit of music that would fall into this category (U2 included)!

By 'intellectual' music he was referring to Radiohead, obviously...

No. Just no.

Are you the typical Radiohead fan?

Flying Lemon, you flatter me but really, there's no need. All Radiohead fans are intellectual...

Define 'intellectual'.

Anyone who appreciates the complex musical structure and emotional texture of Radiohead songs...

So only Radiohead fans are 'intellectuals'?

That's correct...

Can I join your realm of intellectuals?  :'(

If you are clever enough, yes...

Thanks.  :)

No problem - enjoy your day...  :-X

InThisHeartland

Re: OK, lets sort this out
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2010, 06:10:50 AM »
stop bad quoting! it hurts my head