Author Topic: are they sounding a bit desperate? ... i'm not sure ...  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
Re: are they sounding a bit desperate? ... i'm not sure ...
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 07:06:41 AM »
Perhaps I should've said R&B/Hip-hop inspired tracks. And there were a lot of them in the 90s.

Angel of Harlem has an old-school R&B vibe.
Bono's whole falsetto voice of the 90s was R&B inspired.
The beats and rhythms in general of Achtung Baby were hip-hop inspired.
Several remixes of Even Better Than the Real Thing use R&B sounds.
The Numb (gimme some more dignity) remix definitely mixes R&B and Hip hop.
Tracks like Numb (album version), Miami, and Staring at the Sun (sad bastards mix) among others all have a trippy British hip-hop vibe to them.
And of course there were plenty of clubby electonica mixes from the 90s too.

These are the kinds of sounds I'm excited about the band potentially exploring again on their supposed 'club' album.

Offline vertigo 77

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 09:29:18 AM »
That's cool. Plz forgive me I just become really excited music.

Offline hallogallo

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »
U2 have never made a club song.  They might have tried (Discotheque, Mofo) but they always turn out to be their most rocking songs.  There are a lot of techno remixes, but U2 didn't make those.  Other people did.  If their club album works out like their previous attempts and lead to really loud, original, daring rock music then I'll be happy.  But David Guetta, Will I Am, Red One (or whatever he's called) are unconscionable selections and indicate that cheap hits are what they're after, that they're after teenaged girl's ears and that is ridiculous because no demographic has poorer taste in music.  If they want to make club sounding music why not work with David Holmes or Pantha du Prince? 

As for Achtung's beats being influenced by hip hop...I don't think anyone who listens to hip hop would say that.  It's nothing like early 90s hip hop.  That album sounds like they were really into Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Pop Will Eat Itself.  Even the visual aesthetic is lifted from the latter band. 

I think that secretly U2 long to be Primal Scream.

Offline JSab

• Staring at the Sun
  • No, no line
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 06:39:21 AM »
Eugh Will.I.Am and U2? I'm having trouble comprehending such a bad mix. It will make U2 look like they're some old guys trying to be "hip". Lets hope it doesn't fail badly.

U2 can make hits and good music at the same time, so lets hope they do it right again.

Or more, create a comprehensive album that so happens to have a hit song, rather than a collection of possible hits.

Hahah also I found the article and have kept it in my room :D. I look forward to new U2 material though - I'm sure it'll still be great

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 04:01:46 AM »
Exactly.

U2 should stop striving for singles.

If the songs that they pour their heart and soul into turn out to be good enough to stand on their own 2 feet and be successful outside the usual bunch of nutbags (ie us), then they will be legitimate singles.

Strive for singles and they will fail.

The Promenade

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 04:42:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Exactly.

If the songs that they pour their heart and soul into turn out to be good enough to stand on their own 2 feet and be successful outside the usual bunch of nutbags (ie us), then they will be legitimate singles.

Exactly - and who needs Vertigo, Elevation or Boots anyway. Although The Fly was genius...

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
Exactly.

I remember in the TUF documentary Edge saying that (with the exception of Pride) the album really doesn't have any singles on it, and McG saying that they certainly wouldn't have turned their backs on a hit single had it come about "in the right way," but they weren't going to try to create it.

Where'd those guys go?

satellitedog01

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 12:28:47 PM »
It will make U2 look like they're some old guys trying to be "hip".

Well they've been old guys looking for hipness ever since Paul Oakenfold DJ-ing Zoo TV and AB's remix B-sides. And the majority of one-off collabs of the 2000s were in this vein, with some particularly uninspired stuff being order of the day throughout.

I'm excited by U2 working on a whole album with Danger Mouse producing, but that rumored club album with someone as dated as Will I Am -  the BEP singles off the last album were really weak, and the one using Misirlou by d**k Dale, Pump It, was a horrible idea in the first place - and someone creating music as disposable as Gaga's smells rotten. Oh, I think the NLOTH 2 track was at best throwaway, so I don't care for its defence.

Lets hope it doesn't fail badly. :-)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
I think they're pretty undecided about everything just now, and that started during the NLOTH sessions really. That album yielded some of their best ever music imo, but it was also unfocussed. I'd like to see them channel their energy into a particular direction at this point, it makes me nervous if U2 don't know what they want to be doing.

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »
Quotes from article in bold

" 'Interesting' is the moment musicians scratch their chin. It ruins great and dramatic music. You listen to the Sex Pistols or Nirvana or the first MGMT album and you don't scratch your chin. You say, 'Wow, that's extraordinary'."

I think that Bono is losing direction with all his focus on having a hit single. Yes, I agree with him in that I think 'interesting' as a concept may lead to poor music, but of the artists he quotes above
I can't imagine them (except perhaps MGMT) setting out to make an album focused around the 'must have a hit single on it or were not relevant' concept. Surely its a more organic process than that?

Some hard lessons have been learnt from No Line on the Horizon.

"It's a strong piece of work," he says. "It's original. But it feels like a bit of a commitment, that album. It's not light on its feet. [Horizon's first single] 'Get on Your Boots' is a big song every night. People go nuts. But it didn't sound like that on the radio.

Again I agree with his statement - Boots is a cracking live song that failed on radio. U2 can make the ordinary sound great when playing live.
Problem is, I think that on this tour they have too often made the great sound ordinary (Bad, Mothers, Mysterious Ways, to name just a few).

The fixation on hit singles and rolling out substandard live versions of classics does not sound like an ideal plan for the future to me. I was more encouraged by the integration of new material
(even if unfinished) into their recent sets as opposed to hearing another 'With Or Without You by numbers' - marvelous as that song is.
In a way it's a good sign that Bono is still so passionate and ambitious for the band, but trying too hard to be relevant and please everyone at once could end up being U2's downfall.