Author Topic: Band members smoking  (Read 5059 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: Band members smoking
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pfft. Once a smoker - always a smoker.

Aint that the truth. I havent exactly completely kicked the habit myself. I dont smoke regularly, but I do smoke on occasion. When no one's watching to give me a rueful eye. And usually after a couple of drinks, when I'm weak. Or sometimes when I'm stressed out. So I can relate to Bono's smoking before his surgery.

I hate to admit it, but I've got this plan that if I knew I was dying of some terminal disease, I'd pick up regular smoking again.... ;) Or if the world were coming to an end in about an hour (ie, a bomb was headed my way). Morbid, eh?

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »

Aint that the truth. I havent exactly completely kicked the habit myself. I dont smoke regularly, but I do smoke on occasion. When no one's watching to give me a rueful eye. And usually after a couple of drinks, when I'm weak. Or sometimes when I'm stressed out. So I can relate to Bono's smoking before his surgery.

I hate to admit it, but I've got this plan that if I knew I was dying of some terminal disease, I'd pick up regular smoking again.... ;) Or if the world were coming to an end in about an hour (ie, a bomb was headed my way). Morbid, eh?

I don't really understand the way you think ;) but that's your business :P

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »

And that's exactly my point.

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:43 AM »

You're gonna die anyways why not enjoy the last hour, right? ;) Don't worry - I understand. :P

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:52 AM »

You're gonna die anyways why not enjoy the last hour, right? ;) Don't worry - I understand. :P

And, the point is, I actually like smoking so much that I have a plan in the back of my mind for when it's okay to do it. Obviously I dont want to die... which is why I quit smoking in the first place... But I still get cravings when I see other people smoking... or I smell cigarette smoke. Which is gross to people who dont smoke. So, I think, I can understand Bono's on and off smoking thing... Probably any former smoker can...

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 04:38:42 AM »
I always worry about Bono smoking, though. I dont want it to mess up his voice. And, of course, I dont want him to get cancer.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 07:54:34 AM »
I think Larry still smokes sometimes. He was seen smoking in Dave Letterman clip with the whole band outside shovelling snow

That was way too funny!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 05:54:47 AM »
I fell off the wagon last night. Had four cigarettes. The whole time, I thought, "It's okay. Even Bono occasionally smokes." Ha! Now I have to start the counter over again...

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 03:32:53 PM »
Larry was smoking in the David Letterman skit as part of the skit - doesn't mean he regularly smokes on his time.

Which is neither here nor there - whether any of them smoke is their business. I doubt rock stars ever intend to be anti-nicotine spokespeople.

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »

And, the point is, I actually like smoking so much that I have a plan in the back of my mind for when it's okay to do it. Obviously I dont want to die... which is why I quit smoking in the first place... But I still get cravings when I see other people smoking... or I smell cigarette smoke. Which is gross to people who dont smoke. So, I think, I can understand Bono's on and off smoking thing... Probably any former smoker can...

Sorry I must disagree. Not this one. I can't stand to be around it for even the briefest of periods. I know others who are the same way. I have a harder time being around it than those who never smoked. Which is fine with me because I don't want to ever again. I hate it so much that even when we had vacant apartments in my building, I prayed they wouldn't be rented to smokers.

Once I was watching an old movie, and wasn't feeling well...I had to turn it off because I couldn't stand to even watch the smoking.  :o

In the first year that I quit, I could have said what you said above...but when I got past a certain point, I didn't ever want to do it again. Going on six years later I still don't.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 05:47:42 PM »
Damn, SW, I need to get on whatever program you did to quit smoking. I'd love it if I could find them repulsive.

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »
Damn, SW, I need to get on whatever program you did to quit smoking. I'd love it if I could find them repulsive.

I didn't expect it to turn out that way but I do consider myself lucky in that regard. It appears to me that some people quit and have that "repulsed" reaction afterwards, and others can still tolerate it, making it harder for them.

I quit cold turkey. I really didn't want to be "a smoker" anymore. 
I also moved to a building where no one smokes (a coincidence but it helped), and washed all my clothes, even cleaned the furniture so I didn't bring the smell with me. Coming into a freshly painted apartment, I didn't want to have to do the extra cleaning that is necessary when you smoke indoors.
It helps that few of my friends smoke, and among those who do, I don't see them very often.
I live in NYC which makes it harder to smoke in a public place, etc. Also the taxes will kill you before the smoking would.
Also I had great support from one of my friends so when I had weak moments, I could call her and she'd talk to me until it passed.

My mom quit after more years than I can even imagine. She literally cannot afford it anymore since she retired. She got some support from a local hotline that the city sponsors (paid for by the cigarette taxes), and one of the people she spoke to told her that when you get the urge, just WAIT. And wait for it to pass, because it will!

I would go for a couple of days without it if I got a cold. But always went back until I quit when I was feeling well and just kept at it. Also quitnet helps because it tracks your progress and it's neat to see the numbers of cigarettes not smoked go up and the money you save adding up.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 06:52:29 PM »
I go for weeks and weeks without doing it... But right now it seems I still relapse to one or two about once a month. I'm a cyclist and I'm trying hard not to do it at all. Plus, I have asthma. My urges sometimes come if I've had a few drinks... one ill leads to the other. Ugh.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »

bo****ks.

I smoked a pack a day for over 10 years before quitting.

Haven't touched them in 20.

Can't bear to be around them now, nasty stupid disgusting habit.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 07:09:10 PM »
I'll have a cigarette every once in awhile. I just do it socially, like with drinking. I'm not addicted to either.