Poll

All Aspects Included, Which Song Would Go Down With A U2360 Crowd Better

City of Blinding Lights
Gloria

Author Topic: Which Song Would Go Down Better With A U2360 Crowd?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Which Song Would Go Down Better With A U2360 Crowd?
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:21:21 PM »
This poll is not meant as a dig at anyone, I'm just curious.

We all know that a 360 crowd is made up of people like us, people who just show up because there's a huge show in town, and people who only know "mainstream U2" songs.  Take into effect aspects like crowd reaction, crowd knowledge of the song, the stage, energy, the song's popularity, the age of the song, whether the song is a staple or not, and anything else that would make one song's performance better than the other's.  Which song would raise the "communal spirit" of the crowd better

I'm taking City Of Blinding Lights.  It was a successful, top 10 single off of one of U2's most successful albums that went 3x platinum.  It was the highlight of the Vertigo Tour, and remains a highlight and a setlist staple on the 360 tour, accompanied by AMAZING visuals.  The song was used by Barack Obama as his campaign song and was even played before he took the stage to recieve the democratic nomination for President and to give his victory speech on Election Day.  It was even played at the We Are One concert in front of hundreds of thousands of people.  It has a simple, screamable, touching chorus that gets the crowd roaring the lyrics.  COBL was used as the theme song for the last 2 World Cups as well.  It might be one of the most known and loved U2 songs by mainstream and diehard listeners alike.  It's a good bet that at least 90% of people in the crowd not only know COBL, but love it too.  And talk about raising the communal spirit, COBL does that perfectly.  Tens of thousands of people jumping up and down as one, raising their hands to the sky like its a Christian music festaval, and screaming "OH YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL TONIIIIIGHT" is the definition of raising the communal spirit

Gloria on the other hand, while being a great song and wildy popular with a good majority of diehard U2 fans, would not do what COBL does.  A good portion of the crowd wouldn't neccessarily recognize Gloria considering the song is nearly 30 years old, it's off of U2's least played and least popular album, and it's only been played a handful of times since the 1980's.  Some people will bring up the fact that I Will Follow has rocked the house on the latest leg of the tour, but I believe that I Will Follow is a much more popular song than Gloria and I would go as far as to say its known by the mainstream U2 listener.  It was also played heavily on both tours earlier in the decade so I Will Follow is still fresh in our minds

Dont get me wrong, I love Gloria.  It rocks live.  But if played at a U2360 concert, there's no way in my mind that Gloria goes down better with a U2360 crowd than City of Blinding Lights does

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Which Song Would Go Down Better With A U2360 Crowd?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »
No thoughts? :D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »
I'm not a massive fan of either of em. That's my thoughts.

The Promenade

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 02:20:50 AM »
COBL is horrible. Especially that bell sound. So, I'll go for Gloria...

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 06:38:02 AM »
" But if played at a U2360 concert, there's no way in my mind that Gloria goes down better with a U2360 crowd than City of Blinding Lights does"

That's an indictment of the 360 crowd, not Glloria.

COBL is just abysmal.

One of the most downright awkward "choruses" they've ever done.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:59:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
" But if played at a U2360 concert, there's no way in my mind that Gloria goes down better with a U2360 crowd than City of Blinding Lights does"

That's an indictment of the 360 crowd, not Glloria.

Exactly, the question is based on the crowd

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »
I put City of Blinding Lights

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »
With a huge stadium gig, most of the crowd are there to get drunk and ROCK OUT to songs they know and can sing along to and whoop and cheer and clap their hands and feel good about spending their hard earned money on something they're enjoying - therefore they're idiots, therefore COBL wins.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »
ROCK OUT to songs they know and can sing along to and whoop and cheer and clap their hands and feel good about spending their hard earned money on something they're enjoying - therefore they're idiots, therefore COBL wins.

I did that at the stadium show I attended.  Am I am idiot?  Who goes to concerts and doesnt feel good about spending their money on something they enjoy.  Who goes to concerts and doesnt sing along to songs they know and whoop and cheer and clap?

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
really.   :D

COBL ALL THE WAY

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
COBL is a very strong song, I can think of a lot of better songs, but nonetheless that doesn't diminish the fact that it's a good live song.

The music translates well live, especially the guitar part, and also the visuals that accompany it make it a crowd favorite. I don't care if you like the song or not, but how the claw incorporates so many lights and colors with the screen being fully down is a thing for the eyes. Not to mention that the tie in from Miss Sarajevo the last few shows is extremely powerful.

Gloria meanwhile will excite the diehards, especially the "October Worship Thread" group  ;) And it too is strong live, but on a stadium tour, it's relatively unknown  to the majority of most causal fans, as October is their least selling album.

So with a U2360 crowd, easily COBL.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »
Obviously you people dont own Under a Blood Red Sky... live from Red Rocks... best U2 show ever... and I unfortunately was not a U2 fan (too young) when that concert took place. Bono was young, unstoppable, full of more energy than he's ever had since. (Though, I will not say ZooTV was not a lot of fun.) I'm just saying. Gloria takes the show on there. Not so sure I'm really one of the 360 crowd, I guess. I'm going two shows and I love the band in each stage of its life... But nothing beats those early shows... Which I would gladly go back in time to see if I had a time machine...

Boom Cha!

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
Why these two songs?  ???

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
Why these two songs?  ???
basically, it's a response to something SG said about Gloria in another thread.

page 3 and 4 of that.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »
I would prefer to hear Gloria and COBL isn't a favourite of mine. But it's taken a ridiculous amount of flack on this thread. Almost no people outside this forum would label it as an awful song. To me the song is decent rather than great, but it has a beautiful and unique soundscape from the Edge.