Poll

All Aspects Included, Which Song Would Go Down With A U2360 Crowd Better

City of Blinding Lights
Gloria

Author Topic: Which Song Would Go Down Better With A U2360 Crowd?  (Read 2166 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: Which Song Would Go Down Better With A U2360 Crowd?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why these two songs?  ???
basically, it's a response to something SG said about Gloria in another thread.

page 3 and 4 of that.

Ohhh, now it makes more sense.

I thought this was just two random songs pitted against each other.  :D

Boom Cha!

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
Anyways, I'm not really a huge fan of either song. But, I voted for City Of Blinding Lights....just barely.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 01:16:24 PM »
 :D :D :D  I see I have sparked a new discussion here. So I and the other October worshipers have all placed our vote for Gloria. The only way we would really know the true result is if U2 plays Gloria and we see what kind of reaction it has. I am working on trying to get them to play it (like they'll really listen to me  :D).  Oh and I dm'd Gavin Friday to tell his BFF to play it on this tour. He follows me because I am a beloved forum member of his  :D :D :D. A few days later he gave one of his one word tweets that he loves so much and it was............"October".  Do I see a glimmer of hope  :o    :D   ;)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »
I would go all gaaaah if they played Gloria again... literally, gaaaaahhh... My heart would leap with joy...!!

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
COBL due to the chorus and recent relevancy, Gloria is a diehards song and tbh on the vertigo tour when last played i didn;t think they did a great version of it, IMO bono has lost the rawness and anger of youth (as he is a million times a better singer now), and the edge that gave the song (pre red rocks and the JT tour) 

However, COBL is an amazing however didn't like the intro this year in Rome, and didn't like the intro at the Milan vertogo show

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
You know what? I dont care if Gloria wouldnt go over with the young 360 crowd. :P :P I still want them to play it. ;) So there.

Offline el_dingo

• Stateless
  • Only True Love Can Keep Beauty Innocent
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »
Both songs have an awesome guitar piece that grips you into the sound and really gives you a chance to let loose. But going back to the original question, I voted for City Of Blinding Lights. I prefer that song and I think the majority of fans do aswell. Although having said that, I would love to see U2 play Gloria live again. I think that Gloria would be a great concert opener too, but I think the overall number of fans will choose COBL  ;)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
It's not a democracy. :P

U2 wins in the end. And, really, they always go with the fans, so I guess I lose. ;)

I'm not attacking you. I'm just being snarky. ;)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »
Just dropped in to see how my beloved Gloria was doing. 11 votes isn't half bad  :D

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
aaaw man, I would of voted for Gloria but IMO it's not the right answer to the question - if it was which song do you prefer it's Gloria all the way all day.

andym

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »
love comes to town tour...streets opens the show...I'm carried off my feet. The song finishes...Bono screams ah this is Gloria..
234 up get up....and thats what everyone in the stadium did. But that was 89 u2. I saw a version from vertigo and the song wasn't half what it was back than. Or rather Bono didn't attack it with the same energy. Though to question myself again. Bono seems to be singing better than I've seen for a long time. In which case I think he ould give it the enrgy it deserves.

So I vote Gloria.

Its twice the song City of blinding lights is. But u2 would probably back City of Blinding lights more because they want to prove the 00 decade was a good one. So...oh sugar my eyes just went cross eyed....

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 05:21:23 AM »
I've tried so hard to avoid this thread...but couldn't save myself!

I actually like both songs - COBL has been great in the 360 shows and will stay in shows to come I'm sure as like Streets it now has a trademark light section to go with it.

Gloria..what can i say - you all know I am an October lover - funnily enough though whilst this is on the album I associate this song with U2 DNA as opposed to specific album U2 (hope that makes sense) Gloria for me is part of the lifeblood coarsing through the veins of what made U2 what they are now. COBL still has to earn the right to be considered for that position - however the test of time will be the judge of that.

So what am I saying - yip I voted Gloria - but my key driver for doing so is its a great U2 rock song - and it does get a crowd going (even some segments of a 360 crowd)