Author Topic: Would you be the "side man" ?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
Would you be the "side man" ?
« on: November 05, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
(Mods: I wasn't sure where to post this... it's about Edge, and it's about me also...
So feel free to move it, if it should be somewhere else....)

My question to forum members and fellow U2 fans:
Would you be the "side man" ?

I ask this because I've always felt that Edge has the most difficult task in U2.
He works as hard as Bono, is at least equally talented, and he's had the "original idea"
for some of the most beloved U2 songs (like Sunday Bloody Sunday and Streets).

Yet he doesn't get even half of the attention Bono gets... Few people would think
of Edge as "Ireland's Greatest", or even put him on a "Best Songwriters" top ten.
When Rolling Stone released their #1.000 issue, they created a montage of
the most important people who appeared on the cover (or had an influence on American culture).
Bono appeared on the front line, along with Keith & Mick, The Beatles, Madonna, etc.
Edge wasn't even in the background... he wasn't there at all... isn't that unfair?  :'(

Edge has said he knows that's the way it is, and he's alright with it...
But my question is... would you take his place?
Would you work your *ss off, knowing that someone else is going to take the credit?

It's an important question for me right now...
I have a friend who's a great singer. But whenever he's around, I seem to become invisible...
So if I agree to be in a band with him (as he's asking me to), I would just be "the drummer",
while I'm sure most people would assume the songs I've written are all his...
On the other hand, I could form a band without him, be the singer, and get all the attention.
I'm sure he would make a better frontman than me, so the band would be better with him...
I don't have a preference about singing or drumming, I love both. But I can't DO both...

What would YOU do?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:43:08 PM by DrummerBoy (Arg) »

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Would you be the "side man" ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »
Without elaborating, hell yeah I'd be the side man.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
Check out The Edge is Just Too Cool thread.  There's a lot of love foe the "side man." So I say go for it.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »
no chance

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:56:17 AM »
I have worked as a "sideman" for 17 years.My boss is professional showjumper and his job is to perform for 2minutes and enjoy the glory and press etc.while the rest of the 23h and 58minutes  its me,who works her ass off. But its my job and Im perfectly happy with it.
There have to be sidemen,so the frontmen could shine,and as long as Edge himself is happy with it,fine by me.But I definately think that he deserves far more credit for his contribution.At least Bono is giving him it any moment he can! :-*
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:04:14 PM by yellowhat »

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »
Thank you Jason, lorijane , Bads and yellowhat for your answers.  :)

yellowhat, i liked your answer, and I think that's very generous of you (I mean your attitude
towards your boss), but I also think women are naturally more likely to do that; working hard
without caring about who takes the credit. It's one of the things I love about them.

But to use a U2 line, I "don't know if I'm that strong"  :-\

It appears so far the majority is of the "Go for it!" opinion, with only Bads being bravely against it.
I hope more of you will do as yellowhat, and tell me your experience on the "side-man" issue...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:13:47 PM by DrummerBoy (Arg) »

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
I should preface this by saying I'm a Leo with a strong need for center stage.  ;D Emotionally, I'd have a very hard time doing as Edge does unless the frontman had Bono's talent and gift for including the whole band. Most frontmen act like they're the only one on stage. Bono does not do that. Ever. He gives credit generously and that would make the difference for me.

So ask yourself if your frontman has that generous spirit and then perhaps you'll know what to do.

The other issue is: is the frontman in your band good enough to take it all the way? How much success can you reasonably expect (yeah, crystal ball time :D) with him, or without him? If your main goal is to be noticed, they perhaps you need to form your own band. If your goal is a highly successful career in music, maybe you're better off in his band.

Good luck!

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:26 PM »

Birdlover, I've just read your answer and all I can say is... THANK YOU!
That's exactly what I needed, the sort of analysis that prompted me to open this thread.
You asked the right questions... now I have to sort out the answers!  :)

StrongGirl, you can now put the padlock on this topic.  ;)

But if anyone wants to share a thought, or personal experience,
I would still love to read it. Again, thank you birdlover:-*

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »
You are very welcome, Drummer Boy! Glad I could help.

I'd like to know what you decide, if you don't mind sharing.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:55:11 PM »
This is really a question about personality types. I'm good with being in the background and not being the face of a given project. That doesn't mean I don't want or don't strive for success, but it does mean I'm not going to grab a megaphone and scream out my accomplishments to the world.

Front men in bands, for the most part, need that megaphone all the time. Bono would not survive without the adoration and attention. He's just wired that way.

I will say that having a front man's attitude while sitting behind the drums sounds like trouble to me as many bands have troubles with egos. A front man has to have it to survive while having a front man who is a drummer just doesn't work from a presentation point of view. I'll stress that this only relates to being on stage and performing. Song writing, interviews and other things don't have to mold to this behavior.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 10:52:49 PM »
Does it really have to be an either or proposition?

Others have managed drumming and singing, either in one band or simultaneously in two different bands (Phil Collins, Dave Grohl).

As mentioned by others, it largely depends on your personality. However, I'd say if you're even thinking about being a frontman in your own band, you should go for it. You'll probably regret it if you never even try.

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 01:28:01 AM »
Joe90usa, you nailed it with the "you can't be a drummer AND a frontman" argument.
That is exactly my problem... cause I want to be both, and that's impossible.

But then along came Bundang Dave, with the answer, hahaha
I don't want to be overpraising, but these are really great, insightful answers!
Like you said, Dave, it doesn't have to be a choice of "this or that". But right now,
to form two different bands would consume a lot of time, and I don't have that much.
As I said, not now... but hopefully one day I'll be able to use all my working time
just for making music. That is, if I manage to make a living out of it.

So, for now I've decided to say "no" to this friend, as hard as it may be on him,
and try to be the singer/frontman, in a new band. Because, as you said Dave, I would regret it
all my life, if I didn't at least try. The dream of being a singer is a big one, for me.
Whether I end up being lousy or great at it, I HAVE to try.

But the main reason why I will say NO to my friend, has to do with something birdlover wrote,
about the "type of frontman" Bono is. This friend of mine, he's a good friend, and a good singer,
but "generous" is not a word that does him justice. He's disappointed me before, in that respect,
and it's very likely that he'll do it again. He's not a bad person, but what he really cares about, in the end,
are the girls and the attention. And, although I care about that too, I know I wouldn't mind making a fool of myself,
to make someone feel better, or look good, or to bring something I believe it's important to people's attention.
I'm not sure he would do that, and that's something I want at the front, in the band that gets my time.

So if someone I can "truly admire" comes along, I will gladly drum, and let him or her shine.
But, for now, I'll do my best with the singing and fronting...  :)

Well... This has been a really loooong explanation, hasn't it?  :o

For those who haven't fallen asleep while reading, I'd like to THANK YOU once again for all your help!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:22:01 PM by DrummerBoy (Arg) »

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Id be happy just to be in a band  :D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Birdlover, I've just read your answer and all I can say is... THANK YOU!
That's exactly what I needed, the sort of analysis that prompted me to open this thread.
You asked the right questions... now I have to sort out the answers!  :)

[i]StrongGirl[/i], you can now put the padlock on this topic.  ;)

But if anyone wants to share a thought, or personal experience,
I would still love to read it. Again, thank you birdlover:-*

Drummer Boy - why would you think I would padlock this topic  :D ;)  In the year and a half I have been a mod, I have only done it once or twice due to a thread leading nowhere or a few times to put something in the correct category.  So if I have that sort of reputation with new members, I'll just tell you I am so not the strict mod. Really , I am a softie  :D ;)

As far as your question , I have never had the personality that wanted to be in the limelight. I love working behind the scenes and letting someone else get the attention. I did that in the garment industry when I worked on making garments, not promoting them. As far as a band goes, I have always had a desire to be a drummer and would be more than happy to support a lead singer or guitarist. That is what makes a great band like U2 - a great blend of different personalities who work well together and who are all important.  Hope that helps you a bit!

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
When I responded the first time, I didn't read your post all the way through (I have a short attention span  :D). I thought your question was, "Would you be the side man in the same way that Edge is the side man?"

Of course my response was absolutely.

With U2, Bono doesn't steal all the credit and Edge is not completely lost in the shadows. Sure Bono is on more covers, more interviews, etc., but Edge still gets the right amount of attention.

In your situation, it's hard to say without knowing the personality of you and your friend.

In addition to what Joe90usa said, if you truly have the frontman mentality, it would be very difficult to watch your friend have the microphone without becoming envious. That leads nowhere good.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:43:46 AM by JasontheJedi »