Author Topic: Would you be the "side man" ?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
Re: Would you be the "side man" ?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Id be happy just to be in a band  :D

I highly recommend that you do it, Ken...
It's not as easy as it looks, to form a band, but it's fun, and a great experience.
You can always put up a note on your school's noticeboard, sometimes it works!  ;D ;)

Now that my existential crisis is over (thanks to you folks), I thought I might
refocus on Edge's situation, just a comment on what he has to put up with.
The thing that was so worrying for me, which inspired this "don't know if I'm that strong" crisis,
is that when a sideman goes through a period of doubt, it looks really awful...

This is just a personal opinion, but I believe Edge went through something like that,
somewhere between the start of the Vertigo tour, and Bono's back injury. It might have
had something to do with his daughter's illness, or with Bono appearing as a "savior of the world"
on the newspapers (with the African cause), but there was a period in which I sensed that
Edge was having the "sideman's disease", so to speak... I don't have any concrete fact
to prove this, just some hints, and attitudes I've seen of him, and of Bono...

But I don't want to write another testament  :D so I would like to know if anyone here
has had the same feeling, regarding Edge; that he went through an "I want some attention too!" period
over the last years, and that something changed after Bono's surgery.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:46:54 PM by DrummerBoy (Arg) »

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 03:16:27 PM »
DrummerBoy,

Welcome to the forum!  You have brought up a fascinating topic and some great questions.

I do remember reading some comments at the beginning of the 360 tour regarding "sideman disease" - great name for it, by the way - from people who have followed U2 more closely and for longer than I have.  I can't offer an informed opinion on the subject, but I know you're not the only person to make that observation.

Congratulations on deciding to follow your dream!  You've received excellent advice.  I am the kind of person that at times likes to be in the spotlight but other times is happy to work in the background/behind the scenes - just depends on circumstances and personalities.  If I were in a band, I'd much rather be Edge than Bono. 

Keep us posted on your musical adventures.  :)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 05:48:33 AM »
I'd imagine over the years he's felt a bit envious at times, but there's benefits to being the sideman too (especially in U2). Bono now takes all the stick from any controversial things U2 does, even things he wasn't particularly responsible for. Such as the tax thing for example, the other members didn't cop nearly the same level of flack. The knives are always out for Bono in the media and public opinion, and any time the band or its management do anything wrong he takes most of the blame.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
I'd sign for it in a heartbeat.

I've started playing guitar because I wanted to be The Edge... (I was 13).

I got in a few bands but mostly people weren't as committed as I was so it never quite worked out.

So I tried to do music on my own. It didn't work. I'm not THAT good. I'm a very average singer... at best.

I auditioned a few singers but it never clicked.

I'm a side man without having anyone to stand at the side of. I got over it and moved along, it's fine I have a great life but... I would have loved to write music for someone I admire...

Also, I think being a side man in U2 is actually a big deal. I mean, even Larry & Adam had a hit single on their own ! Not getting as much attention as Bono might actually be a good thing.

Offline sherri

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 11:38:14 PM »
Edge has said he knows that's the way it is, and he's alright with it...
But my question is... would you take his place?

I think it's the hardest job too - being the supporter. But some people are just made that way. And they get good at it when they work with someone who does the lead. I mean how far would Bono have gotten without the edge? I think explosive, passionate types (who make such good frontmen) need people to have their backs and defuse things when they go over the top. It's a gift.

Reminds me of Barnabus in the bible (for anyone who knows the story.) You had Paul the apostle, the mover and shaker who went around preaching, challenging and changing the world (his letters to the churchs he planted make up approx 2/3 of the NT) - and in all of that, you constantly see Barnabus in the background. He was the encourager, the supporter, the one who had Pauls back fromt he beginning. Without Barnabus I wonder how far Paul really would have gotten on his own.

People need people. You see a similar dynamic with Bon Jovi and Richi Sambora. I think you'll find that in a lot of sucessful bands. Frontmen tend to be passionate people. They often write the bulk of the songs and they're often visionaries as well as quite thoughtful and intense. Those people need loyal or supportive personality types behind them to balance them out. I think they'd burn out pretty quickly without them.

Entertainers are often quite plagued with self-doubt. It can come as the flip side to the confidence and natural exhuberance that makes them good showmen. Without anyone to help them automatically process that, it can pose a genuine hazard to their longterm success as a performer. I think Robbie Williams is a good example.

No one has it all. And leads in band can give that impression, but it isn't true. I wouldn't like to have edges job because I don't think I'm born that way. I think few are. He has a gift. A genuinely wonderful one. But it would still require a lot on his part.

I really admire those kinds of people.

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »

Brilliant post, sherri !
I enjoyed your comments on Barnabus (I'd never payed any attention to him before :-[ )

And my thoughts exactly, about sidemen...
It takes a lot to be one. And, like you, I really admire those kind of people.

I see that you're relatively new in the forum. Welcome!
I hope you have a great time here.  :)