Poll

Which Song Do You Like Best?

Do They Know It's Christmas
We Are The World

Author Topic: Band Aid Vs USA For Africa  (Read 10702 times)

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
Re: Band Aid Vs USA For Africa
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm watching "We are the World" for the first time right now and it's so cringeworthy, yet hard to turn away. I can't turn it off!!! Somebody help me!!!

Jason ... hopefully you recovered from the WATW issue!  There's a video somewhere of a bunch of Japanese game show contestants dressed in character singing it if it'll help you solve the problem.  In fact ...

WOW, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen!  :D Thank you!

My pleasure Jason!  Glad you enjoyed it!  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »
The downside is it doesn't have a "well tonight thank God it's them instead of you" moment.

I think Cyndi's lines are the closest We Are The World gets to that... definitely the highpoint of a crappy song.

I remember Bono said he fought Geldof on that line. He did not want to sing that. That is the only line I do not like in the song. But  Bono sings the hell out of it.  :D
.  Think about that lyric. Actually THINK about it. It's really offensive. If Bono didn't want to sing it then he shouldn't of sung it. But god knows, nothing should get in the way of record sales...

Not when the money being raised from those record sales is going to feed the starving in Ethiopia.

I think the meaning of that line is the most powerful in the whole song.  It's pure chance that we aren't the ones starving under the baking sun!

The Promenade

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
TD, coming fom the north of England, what would you know about 'starving under the desert sun'. Do you honestly think Bono and co didn't wonder how being part of the single wouldn't advance their career?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
TD, coming fom the north of England, what would you know about 'starving under the desert sun'. Do you honestly think Bono and co didn't wonder how being part of the single wouldn't advance their career?

If I happened to have been born in Ethiopia at the time, I would have known an awful lot about it. ::)

As far as charity goes, I always take the view that it's what you do to help others that counts, regardless of the motivation.

The Promenade

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »

If I happened to have been born in Ethiopia at the time, I would have known an awful lot about it. ::)

As far as charity goes, I always take the view that it's what you do to help others that counts, regardless of the motivation.

oh. I would say the MOTIVATION for doing something is everything. But I'm sure you know best...

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »
The downside is it doesn't have a "well tonight thank God it's them instead of you" moment.

I remember Bono said he fought Geldof on that line. He did not want to sing that. That is the only line I do not like in the song. But  Bono sings the hell out of it.  :D
.  Think about that lyric. Actually THINK about it. It's really offensive. If Bono didn't want to sing it then he shouldn't of sung it.
I think the POINT of that line line is to be offensive, to shock, to make people think and maybe be a little ashamed of their attitude... Bob Geldof wrote it, and he doesn't pull any punches. I can understand why Bono was reluctant to sing it, because it is very "in your face", but his angry delivery was just right.

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
Think your quotes are all screwed up above...

Strong Girl said this:

I remember Bono said he fought Geldof on that line. He did not want to sing that. That is the only line I do not like in the song. But  Bono sings the hell out of it.

not moi.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »

I think Cyndi's lines are the closest We Are The World gets to that... definitely the highpoint of a crappy song.

.  Think about that lyric. Actually THINK about it. It's really offensive. If Bono didn't want to sing it then he shouldn't of sung it. But god knows, nothing should get in the way of record sales...

I assume you are taking the interpretation of Bono's line to be something along the lines of thanking God for inflicting someone else with starvation and not you. That's understandable unless one also knows that it wasn't written to mean that per Geldof. The purpose of the line is to show that while others can feel sympathetic about the plight of those living in those conditions, it's also a truth that virtually nobody would willingly trade places with them and that we should be thankful for our living conditions.

I thought this story was pretty well known, but perhaps not.  ???

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 06:54:11 AM »

I assume you are taking the interpretation of Bono's line to be something along the lines of thanking God for inflicting someone else with starvation and not you. That's understandable unless one also knows that it wasn't written to mean that per Geldof. The purpose of the line is to show that while others can feel sympathetic about the plight of those living in those conditions, it's also a truth that virtually nobody would willingly trade places with them and that we should be thankful for our living conditions.

I thought this story was pretty well known, but perhaps not.  ???

I knew all about that. Though it is not my favorite line, I do understand where Geldof was coming from on the lyric.
This record was not made for personal gain at all. It was made straight from the heart of Bob Geldof. Those artists showed up that day for their friend and his cause. He was THE PIONEER in helping Africa. Before AIDS, it was starvation. He inspired Bono to take this on the very day they recorded that record. It was Bono and Ali's trip to Ethiopia shortly after that really led Bono on the path he is to this day. If you recall,  the record was re-released a year (maybe a few years ) later. In the middle of the song, I believe it is the voice of Bob Geldof that recites all the food and aid that was sent to Africa from the sales of this record. So if record sales brought all this aid to this continent, they I thank God for those good record sales.

I am an advocate for many things including HIV/AIDS, the fight against poverty, children's issues, maternal health in third world countries and the goal for all babies to be born HIV free. So when it comes to any topic on Africa or poverty , I will probably get emotional. So excuse me if I ever come across as being combative in some of the threads on this or related topics ;)    :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:17:18 PM by StrongGirl »

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 04:30:53 AM »
StrongGirl, your passion for these issues is commendable and if people mistake that for being combative, too bad.

Joe, I'm with you, I thought everyone understood the motive behind the lyric, but obviously not.

deco20

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »
I'm still waiting for:

Do they know it's Eid? Considering that 45% of people living in Africa are Muslims.

hahaha, i'm just messing around.

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »

.  Think about that lyric. Actually THINK about it. It's really offensive. If Bono didn't want to sing it then he shouldn't of sung it.
I think the POINT of that line line is to be offensive, to shock, to make people think and maybe be a little ashamed of their attitude... Bob Geldof wrote it, and he doesn't pull any punches. I can understand why Bono was reluctant to sing it, because it is very "in your face", but his angry delivery was just right.
Ooops, I really screwed the quotes up here. Sorry! My computer seems to have issues with showing very much in the "box" so I can;t always see what I'm typing. Anyway Briscoe did not have a quote in there,  don't think. The second quote was Strong Girl, the 3rd one was Prom and the last one was me. Apologies to all!

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 10:31:58 PM »
Dang, it happened again . Grr!

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 05:43:03 AM »
Here's what Bob Gedolf thinks:

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 06:42:41 AM »
Jimmy Fallon and the Roots sang a verse of the Band Aid song in Thanksgiving Day Parade this year. I loved it! Funny, though , that on such an American holiday the British song was sung ;) ;D

But with that said, I am happy that both songs were done to help those in need. I applaud artists on both songs for trying to make a difference.