Author Topic: Concert Format  (Read 5179 times)

Offline 85tour

• Babyface
Concert Format
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »
I think it is time U2 extend their show. I would like to see them do what Rush has done and split the show with an intermission and play closer to three hours, cut out the opening band, and then they could play alot more music. Any one else agree?

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
Re: Concert Format
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:59:27 PM »
As much as we want them to play longer I don't see it happening.  I don't think they'll drop the opening act anytime soon.  You have realize that going 3 hours would probably take its toll on them and Bono's voice. 

Offline davidhardy

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »
Works for The Boss.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »
That's him.  It probably works well for others but probably not for U2.  You know its hard to get them to change anything they've been accustomed to for so many years. 

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »
Bono can't do it last we knew though it does seem that his voice is coming around again.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 06:08:09 PM »
U2 will never extend their shows.

But I think better time management can give us more songs.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Eliminate the B-stage -- it takes some time to setup there and move the band over there.  Those are precious minutes.

2. Stop the pointless preaching -- this is a music concert so people come for the songs and not to be sermoned about debt and having them put on their celphones, or Bono talking in mid-song

3. Enough of the videos -- do we really need to watch someone reciting the Declaration of Human rights?  Or do the channel surfing bit in Zoo TV?  Or listen to a long speech on how a song was inspired by his father?

4. No unnecessary extension of songs with snippets of other songs --- U2 always does it with Bad and it takes so much time.

5.  Choose short songs and shorten the longer songs -- Do we really need an 8 minute jam of Bad?  Can the audience's attention span take it?  U2 should stick to shorter songs or single versions of their songs when playing.

I suggest they play music one after the other, non-stop, no talking, and no preaching.  When Edge and Bono do their restroom break, Clayton and Mullen can remain on stage to do something like Mission Impossible.  Then when Clayton and Mullen take their restroom break, Edge can do Van Diemen's Land, or Bono and Edge can do Summer Rain.  This way, we can get good time management with the same length of show, and get around 4 to 5 songs more.

Cheers,

J

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
Um..right...I see your intent jick, but it would kind of eliminate that 'awesomeness feel' of U2 being on stage.  Besides, why sacrifice quality (like Bad being two minutes longer) for quantity? (like a couple more songs)

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »
U2 hasn't had a B stage since Pop Mart.

And my guess is that Larry's wrist has a little something to do with the length of shows.

Offline 85tour

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

1. Eliminate the B-stage -- it takes some time to setup there and move the band over there.  Those are precious minutes.

2. Stop the pointless preaching -- this is a music concert so people come for the songs and not to be sermoned about debt and having them put on their celphones, or Bono talking in mid-song

3. Enough of the videos -- do we really need to watch someone reciting the Declaration of Human rights?  Or do the channel surfing bit in Zoo TV?  Or listen to a long speech on how a song was inspired by his father?

4. No unnecessary extension of songs with snippets of other songs --- U2 always does it with Bad and it takes so much time.

5.  Choose short songs and shorten the longer songs -- Do we really need an 8 minute jam of Bad?  Can the audience's attention span take it?  U2 should stick to shorter songs or single versions of their songs when playing.

I suggest they play music one after the other, non-stop, no talking, and no preaching.  When Edge and Bono do their restroom break, Clayton and Mullen can remain on stage to do something like Mission Impossible.  Then when Clayton and Mullen take their restroom break, Edge can do Van Diemen's Land, or Bono and Edge can do Summer Rain.  This way, we can get good time management with the same length of show, and get around 4 to 5 songs more.

Cheers,

J
I have to agree with the human rights video and going on about the one campaign, does cut into music time, but cutting down a song like Bad? No, leave the length in, and I liked last tour's intro to Miracle Drug and stuff like that. Quite frankly, when I saw them on the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree tours, they managed to play quite a few songs in their set. I am just saying I would like to see the longer set format so they can get in a few more, you always seem to leave the shows wanting a few more classics. Bono is Bono and his passion for what he believes in and sometimes is anger and emotions are part of what makes up a U2 show. I think back to the Rattle and Hum movie during Sunday Bloody Sunday and F*** the revolution, that was powerful when he talked about the recent bombing that affected them during the tour.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »
U2 hasn't had a B stage since Pop Mart.

And my guess is that Larry's wrist has a little something to do with the length of shows.
Actually, didn't the European and S. American shows have 2 b-stages projecting into the audience?  The ellipse is easier to get to and more logical for its access, but it is basically the b-stage with 2 ramps (or a track for Bono to run laps).

I was rewatching Popmart recently and saw the acoustic b-stage stuff with Bono and Edge, and my first thought was that they were giving Larry a break mid-show.  2 tours later and gearing up for a 3rd tour, and there has to be some of the same thing going on.  Really is that a problem - no, because they figured out a plan that would work for them.  I seem to recall the last 2 tours having something acoustic at the tip of the ellipse/heart, but I can't recall whether Larry was out there (I'll have to rewatch Slane or something).

I am figuring that the overall format will be similar to what they did, mixing old stuff in with the new songs.  I am hoping for about 6-7 songs straight of NLOTH, just like they did with the AB songs for ZooTV.  I am also hoping for an ellipse that circles the entire stadium floor, giving them no line on the horizon and everyone in the seats a chance for a close-up.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 07:04:14 AM »
I just don't mean b-stage.  You can call it the heart or the ramp or whatever else.  U2 should just eliminate it altogether.

Cheers,

J

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 07:25:42 AM »

5.  Choose short songs and shorten the longer songs -- Do we really need an 8 minute jam of Bad?   Can the audience's attention span take it?  U2 should stick to shorter songs or single versions of their songs when playing.

Cheers,

J
Do we really need an 8 minute BAd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eh?
There is an 18 minute version of Bad from a hsow in 85 and it is one of the greatest things I have heard !!!

No snippets !!!  eh???

You appear to be ripping the heart out of the show. I presume you also don't listen to any live shows and this is often what makes the song, the improv, the snippets !!

I'm with you with the preaching bit though..........

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 08:58:16 AM »
We pay high dollar for good entertainment and music.  Attending a concert won't change our world view.  We aren't here to watch U2 preaching.

By the time the songs are also played, we already either know the song or for the non-fans - they will make the song decide whether they like it or not.  We don't need a long historical intro from Bono about the song.

So let's campaign to an end to all the preachy stuff, and just replace that with pure music.

Cheers,

J

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 01:28:43 PM »
I agree the preaching does take long but that's something Bono will NEVER stop doing so we have to get used to it. 

Online singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
Personally I like the extended songs - some of the greatest live performances I've seen of U2 is when they improvise.

Ok get the telly thing but it was ZOO TV and that just fitted so well.

I like the b stage, heart and ramps - brings at least one of them into the thick of it all - for me part of the buzz is not only hearing the tunes but being able to see they guys - video screens don't quite hit the mark.

Preachy bits - yeah - especially the pre rehearsed ones - the ones he makes up there and then I'm cool with - I think Larry keeps a watch on the time though for these and has been trying to pull Bono back.

All in all I do think its Larry's medical condition that dictate - his drumming live has definitely mellowed (mind I'd like to see how he plays Boots)