Author Topic: Concert Format  (Read 5174 times)

Offline spanner

• Numb
Re: Concert Format
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 will never extend their shows.

But I think better time management can give us more songs.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Eliminate the B-stage -- it takes some time to setup there and move the band over there.  Those are precious minutes.

2. Stop the pointless preaching -- this is a music concert so people come for the songs and not to be sermoned about debt and having them put on their celphones, or Bono talking in mid-song

3. Enough of the videos -- do we really need to watch someone reciting the Declaration of Human rights?  Or do the channel surfing bit in Zoo TV?  Or listen to a long speech on how a song was inspired by his father?

4. No unnecessary extension of songs with snippets of other songs --- U2 always does it with Bad and it takes so much time.

5.  Choose short songs and shorten the longer songs -- Do we really need an 8 minute jam of Bad?   Can the audience's attention span take it?  U2 should stick to shorter songs or single versions of their songs when playing.

I suggest they play music one after the other, non-stop, no talking, and no preaching.  When Edge and Bono do their restroom break, Clayton and Mullen can remain on stage to do something like Mission Impossible.  Then when Clayton and Mullen take their restroom break, Edge can do Van Diemen's Land, or Bono and Edge can do Summer Rain.  This way, we can get good time management with the same length of show, and get around 4 to 5 songs more.

Cheers,

J
Do we really need an 8 minute BAd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eh?
There is an 18 minute version of Bad from a hsow in 85 and it is one of the greatest things I have heard !!!

No snippets !!!  eh???

You appear to be ripping the heart out of the show. I presume you also don't listen to any live shows and this is often what makes the song, the improv, the snippets !!

I'm with you with the preaching bit though..........
i love that version of bad, is that the meadowlands show your talking about ? as for snippets ruining the songs ,sorry who wants to hear a band that every song sounds like the record ,i don't .i love the little improvs bono goes into during certain songs.i wouldn't change the little b stage either gives, it a more intimate effect and feel :)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »
You're right spanner, it is from the Meadowlands, April 15. It's the longest version of Bad that I am aware of ,about 18 mins . It's incredible! :)

The b stage and the improvs are always a highlight of the show.
I'm sure I'm not alone when they play WOWU you always wait with baited breath to see if he goes into Shine Like Stars/Love Will tear us apart. And kudos to the band, they are obviously aware of how many people love that extended WOWU as they resurrected that version after the dismal Popmart renditions.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 03:11:24 AM »
You're right spanner, it is from the Meadowlands, April 15. It's the longest version of Bad that I am aware of ,about 18 mins . It's incredible! :)

The b stage and the improvs are always a highlight of the show.
I'm sure I'm not alone when they play WOWU you always wait with baited breath to see if he goes into Shine Like Stars/Love Will tear us apart. And kudos to the band, they are obviously aware of how many people love that extended WOWU as they resurrected that version after the dismal Popmart renditions.
well don't you just wonder what the band might come up with when they walked down to the b'stage ? dancing queen ? she's a mystery girl,stay,anything could be played its nice to see these stripped down songs,bono has always thrown his own lyrics ,bit of songs in right from the early years ,i even remember him singing amazing grace during electric co in germany !

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 03:42:19 AM »
there are always two set lists on tour with U2 playing approx 26 songs on each set list.

both set lists are approx the same with one or two songs changed,

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 05:55:36 AM »
They have a core group of songs around 15/16. They then add others when they like. But their  setlist for the last couple of tours always averages 22/23 songs per show. (Although they did take the pi*s with double Vertigo a lot so minus one !!) We were very unlucky in Europe last time as the setlist was incredibly static. But everyone else in the world got to here so many different tunes, especially the indoor legs in the US.

The best idea for 'multi show goers' is to spread out their shows as the setlist does evolve albeit at snail's pace.
I saw them in Nice a over a month after my last show and the only new song I got was Sarajevo. Pretty poor effort on their part.

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 04:36:37 AM »
Bono' "Preaching" is what made U2. He will never stop, nor does a true U2 fan want him to stop!! It simple if you dont want to hear dont go!!! That is what makes U2 so different the passion in the videos the passion in his preaching.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 05:13:27 AM »
I think the preaching you are talking about is the 'Rock n Roll stops the Traffic incident' or 'there is only one flag... the White Flag '  etc  I have of course no problem with that. I think what people are meaning when they say preaching is the 5 minute monlogue before One, it got especially tedious during the Elevation Tour.
Obviously, I don't want to hear that guff every night.
It is actually a pain in the ass as I have to spend 10 minutes  editing each boot I have, as listening to him say the same stuff at each show gets a bit boring!  The webcast show from Notre Dame is clearly the show for you he spoke for about 10 minutes before they finally kicked into One !!!  TEN MINUTES !!
I can give you an mp3 of his speech if you want.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »
No thanks I think we get the point!  I have that show too and I always skip his speech.