Author Topic: Question About Edge's Early Years / Development  (Read 1046 times)

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
Question About Edge's Early Years / Development
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:16:34 AM »
Has anyone read anything that went into real detail about the Edge's early development as a guitar player?  I'm a 20 year fan, so I've read plenty of articles and books, seen documentaries, etc.  I've heard the surface stuff -- the effects units, his work to invent new chords, his building a guitar with his older brother, and the ever-present quotes about none of the band knowing how to play their instruments.

I would love to read Edge talking in depth about HOW he learned to play his instrument -- not just his inspirations, but the route he took to develop his own unique style, how difficult or easy he found it, etc.  Any juicy stuff out there like that?  (It would also be interesting to hear more about his taking up the piano/keys when it came time to record October.)

Request:  If this isn't out there already, could @U2 please interview the Edge about it?  ;D

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
Re: Question About Edge's Early Years / Development
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »
This is not exactly what you're looking for, but if you haven't seen the documentary film It Might Get Loud, you should. Lots of good Edge stuff.   

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
yeh some pretty good stuff in that film. He apparently had a guitar that had horrible fret buzz on the low strings which meant he developed his style my working the basic chord structurs up the frets, leaving the low notes and harmony to Adam.

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »
That is a great documentary -- I love how much Edge discusses U2's early practices and seeing the room they practiced in at Mount Temple.  I feel like that was a missed opportunity to really discuss his early learning process.  Still a great doc.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »
I believe Edge's older brother , Dik, taught him to play if I am not mistaken. Dik is an amazing guitar player and played with the Virgin Prunes for a bit ( as you all probably know ;D).  They are both super intelligent too!  Dik is not in music too much anymore. He is some sort of a genius engineer or scientist I believe. It's in the genes of the Evans family!  ;)