Author Topic: What does your parents do that embarrasses you?  (Read 6473 times)

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
What does your parents do that embarrasses you?
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
Anyone of all ages.... ahve anything that your parents make you go red?

For example, my dad sings the Bill Bailey Text song when my friends are over if we start texting over dinner. Or he starts doing the Mofo dance from Popmart, which looks nothing like the real thing

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
Re: What does your parents do that embarrasses you?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:21:34 AM »
I'm pretty sure that everything I do embarrasses my kids.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure the very fact that I exist embarasses my kids.  And aaron, didn't you know, when a child is born the parents  have to sign an oath promising to do everything they possibly can to embarasses the kid.  It's not that we want to embarass you guys,  but we really have no choice.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »
Now that I'm older I just accept what they do - nothing really embarasses me anymore (note to younger people on the board - it DOES get better!)

However when I was younger, everything they did was super embarassing. Two incidents of note:
1. After they allowed me to borrow a car and stay in line overnight for Depeche Mode tickets, they showed up in the morning (in matching jackets no less) with muffins for everyone in line  :-[ :-[ :-[
2. When I came home from New York city, they met me at the gate wearing matching red cowboy hats saying "Our lil girl is home from the big city!"

Even so, I think I turned out pretty well......

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Now that I'm older I just accept what they do - nothing really embarasses me anymore (note to younger people on the board - it DOES get better!)

However when I was younger, everything they did was super embarassing. Two incidents of note:
1. After they allowed me to borrow a car and stay in line overnight for Depeche Mode tickets, they showed up in the morning (in matching jackets no less) with muffins for everyone in line  :-[ :-[ :-[
2. When I came home from New York city, they met me at the gate wearing matching red cowboy hats saying "Our lil girl is home from the big city!"

Even so, I think I turned out pretty well......

I know you were a teenager and all that, but, other than the matching clothes, I really don't see how either of those could be seen as embarrassing, especially bringing food for everyone. I know if I had been in that line I would have thought you had the coolest parents ever because a) they actually let you camp out for tickets and b) THEY FED PEOPLE. Now, where have I seen that before? Oh yeah, here!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That said, I doubt my kids were too thrilled when we were in the GA line at Atlanta and was making some calls for work while I was there. I had been working on a partnership between the West Alabama Food Bank and the West Alabama Red Cross for weeks and finally got them to agree with it while we were there in line. After the call I went nuts! I was squealing and jumping up and down and hugging them because this was the biggest partnership the chapter had ever had and would be providing food assistance to hundreds of disaster victims in our rural counties. It was a big freaking deal. Everyone around us was thrilled and congratulated me, but my kids acted like they didn't even know me. That kind of hurt. Still does.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »
Do you suppose Bono, Larry and Edge embarass their kids?  Probably, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that thought.

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »
1. After they allowed me to borrow a car and stay in line overnight for Depeche Mode tickets, they showed up in the morning (in matching jackets no less) with muffins for everyone in line 

That's awesome! I'd love it if my parents did that.

I don't really care. I think I embarrass they more than they embarrass me.  8)

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »
GardenTart, I think you win. lol

Do you suppose Bono, Larry and Edge embarass their kids?  Probably, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that thought.

Having Bono as a dad. Oh god. lol.

Larry has a daughter, right?  I wouldnt want to be her as a teenager or the boy she brings home to meet the parents.   
The phrases totally awkward, fear of God and broken limbs come to mind.

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »
My mom dances. VERY badly.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
My dad has multiple tattoos in very visible places
My dad is overweight and likes to walk around shirtless a lot
My mom cries at the strangest and silliest things

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
I'm great at dad dancing  8)

Offline Thehorsefly [whinny!]

• Desert Rose
  • Nobody gonna feel no pain,Nobody gonna cry someday
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:50 PM »
My dad:
1. Making jokes that are not at all funny. (For example, he thinks it's funny to switch the first letters of words-like sicken choup)
2.Singing songs in the most annoying way possible.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:51:02 PM »
"What do your parents do that embarrasses you?"

My mother on occasions questions why I don't like radio music.
My father sometimes has the tendency to belt out songs in a ridiculous voice.

Um ... :-\

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 09:25:49 AM »
My dad has multiple tattoos in very visible places
My dad is overweight and likes to walk around shirtless a lot
My mom cries at the strangest and silliest things

lol. I'm sorry. 

Well I'm a grown up now so I dont have this prob anymore. Thank G.  My dad liked arguing & trying to bargain with people in stores. Ugh. I was always like "Dad, this is the US not the mother country."

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 08:29:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure that everything I do embarrasses my kids.

Yep, me too.  But, I am looking for some new ideas.   :D