Author Topic: What Happened to Desire?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
What Happened to Desire?
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:51:48 AM »
Desire was soundchecked at the majority of 2010 European leg concerts and was even preformed in an impromptu manner at an airport in Turkey for waiting fans, yet it was never played in concert.

I wonder why that is  ???

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: What Happened to Desire?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
It was played......quite a few times

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not on this summer it wasnt, which is what I'm referring to

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »
I've been waiting for Desire for a long time.  Not an acoustic or full band B-stage performance, but the real thing along the lines of Lovetown or ZOO TV with Larry behind the drums on the main stage and Bono with a harmonica.

It's time.  It's time.  It's time.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
I've been waiting for Desire for a long time.  Not an acoustic or full band B-stage performance, but the real thing along the lines of Lovetown or ZOO TV with Larry behind the drums on the main stage and Bono with a harmonica.

yep, yep, yep

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:52:41 AM »

Not on this summer it wasnt, which is what I'm referring to

Oh this summer?...got confused, taught you meant the tour

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:21:59 AM »
Desire has not been part of a regular set since ZOO TV.  I know it has been played here and there over the years, but it is a strong enough track to be performed nightly on the current tour.

I really hope they make it part of the nightly setlist in 2011

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 06:59:08 AM »

YES IT'S TIME.  It's a corker of a song.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:50:28 PM »
Eh . . . they played it at DC Elevation, so I'm not anxious to hear it again, although a non-acoustic version would be more interesting. I'd be much more excited about a non-acoustic version of "Staring at the Sun," which we got at DC Popmart.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 06:13:31 AM »
we got a rare full band electric performance of Desire in Sydney on the Vertigo tour - was very unexpected and very, very awesome!

I'd throw a vote in for the full-band version as a song they should resurrect - it's often overlooked (by fans I get the impression), but it is one of their most enduring songs - everybody knows it and it would get the whole crowd moving, casual fans and all.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:06:51 PM »
we got a rare full band electric performance of Desire in Sydney on the Vertigo tour - was very unexpected and very, very awesome!

I'd throw a vote in for the full-band version as a song they should resurrect - it's often overlooked (by fans I get the impression), but it is one of their most enduring songs - everybody knows it and it would get the whole crowd moving, casual fans and all.

But did Bono play harp on the song in Sydney?  Desire without the harmonica is not Desire.

The problem with playing Desire is that it would only add fuel to the fire of the Greatest Hits brigade.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »

But did Bono play harp on the song in Sydney?  Desire without the harmonica is not Desire.

The problem with playing Desire is that it would only add fuel to the fire of the Greatest Hits brigade.

Scrap Mysterious Ways and replace it with Desire.  Problem solved.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »

Re the harp: I can't remember, but I think so.

You're point about the 'greatest hits' thing is very true - there was a fair feeling that by the time it reached our shores, the Vertigo tour had morphed into the U218 tour, with the dropping of many HTDAAB songs and the return of songs like Walk On, Desire, Still Haven't Found... etc. i still think Desire could have a place in the set at the expense of one of the other greatest hits though.