Author Topic: What I am Thankful For  (Read 1276 times)

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
What I am Thankful For
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
As fans of U2, there is one thing we really need to be thankful for of, and that is the fact that (as lars Ulrich put it) the band is still functioning like a band after 33 years.  The reason I bring that up, is yesterday afternoon here in the States, I was flipping thru the channels.  On NBC was a show called Improve on Ice, which is basically an ice skating exibition with a band performing on stage located next to the ice along with the ice skater.  One of the acts was Foreigner.  Foreigner had some moments, and I believe are worthy of mention when thumbing thru the pages of rock n roll history.  But these days, this band is still living off the music of 20+ years ago and playing Improve on Ice.  I got thinking, what if this is what U2 had become, lets say after the Joshua Tree.  

Regardless of what people think about U2 music the last decade or so, at least the band and thier contributions are still relevant.  To imagine the band on stage, maybe with a different drummer or lead singer, singing Desire while Brian Boitano does a double axle toe-loop would be an extremely sad sight to see.  

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
Re: What I am Thankful For
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Regardless of what people think about U2 music the last decade or so, at least the band and thier contributions are still relevant.  To imagine the band on stage, maybe with a different drummer or lead singer, singing Desire while Brian Boitano does a double axle toe-loop would be an extremely sad sight to see.  

SHUDDER!!!!  :o  I cannot imagine a more grisly and depressing scene.  Thank you for giving us all something to feel joyful about!  (Although Unforgettable Fire would make a good ice skating song...dramatic...sweeping.... "Ice, your only rivers run cold...")

LittleDany

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
It could even get worse. Playing at a store opening  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I agree. I'm thankful of all of this, too.

If one of the band quits, the band would no longer exist. Thats for sure. Thank God.

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »
As fans of U2, there is one thing we really need to be thankful for of, and that is the fact that (as lars Ulrich put it) the band is still functioning like a band after 33 years.  The reason I bring that up, is yesterday afternoon here in the States, I was flipping thru the channels.  On NBC was a show called Improve on Ice, which is basically an ice skating exibition with a band performing on stage located next to the ice along with the ice skater.  One of the acts was Foreigner.  Foreigner had some moments, and I believe are worthy of mention when thumbing thru the pages of rock n roll history.  But these days, this band is still living off the music of 20+ years ago and playing Improve on Ice.  I got thinking, what if this is what U2 had become, lets say after the Joshua Tree.  

This made me laugh so hard...you are correct we're lucky it didn't come to that.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »
Brian Boitano is on fire.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »

I love Brian Boitano though  :D :D :D  He is an amazing skater.

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »

"But there's a fine in Brian Boitano / With a fire / Oh, oh, oh... / Fire...."