Poll

Should U2 finally dust off a song from this album to play on U2360?

Yes
No

Author Topic: The "Play SOMETHING from Pop" Campaign  (Read 54514 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: The "Play SOMETHING from Pop" Campaign
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Saddest thing for me is than in their past twp tours, Vertigo and 360, I've seen 16 shows.

And I've heard only one song from Zooropa and Pop combined - The First Time - in Melbourne back in 2006.

That, my friends, is shocking.

Most bands/artists I've seen live tend to support album tracks only on those tours supporting those albums. There are countless other groups I've seen who only did one or two songs from an old album, and when they did, it was usually a hit. I can think of only a handful of instances where ONE old non-single was played by the band I was seeing.

So no, it's not shocking. What is shocking is that you got to hear The First Time at all. Perhaps instead of complaining you should be thankful you got to hear an album track from Zooropa that was entirely neglected even on the legs of ZooTV that brought in Zooropa tracks.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »
Hey, finally I have a Pop lyric under my avi! ;D

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
^ YAY!  :D

About a week before the SA leg, I'm gonna start getting people to tweet #U2pop or something and see if they notice.  :D

Offline SuperAcrobat

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »
Discotheque and/or Velvet Dress are PERFECT for 360!   ;D

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
Saddest thing for me is than in their past twp tours, Vertigo and 360, I've seen 16 shows.

And I've heard only one song from Zooropa and Pop combined - The First Time - in Melbourne back in 2006.

That, my friends, is shocking.

Most bands/artists I've seen live tend to support album tracks only on those tours supporting those albums. There are countless other groups I've seen who only did one or two songs from an old album, and when they did, it was usually a hit. I can think of only a handful of instances where ONE old non-single was played by the band I was seeing.

So no, it's not shocking. What is shocking is that you got to hear The First Time at all. Perhaps instead of complaining you should be thankful you got to hear an album track from Zooropa that was entirely neglected even on the legs of ZooTV that brought in Zooropa tracks.

U2 lost me after POP.  Not because of POP but because of how they acted as if POP was a mistake because it was "unfinished" and how they suddenly cared what people thought again.  Now I have seen them since POP live over 10 times and I had to stop going because it just wasn't the same band anymore.  Not to say there haven't been some great moments, just never found a show from start to finish being played the way I've seen other bands play.  So with that being said, I find it laughable that the only two songs to get played have been acoustic versions of stay and the first time with only bono and edge.  that takes about as little effort as possible.  I miss the good old days when Bono would come out as a boxer and 90% of the stadium would stare in shock.  It's U2 playing for others at this point in their career and not themselves.  So to expect anything that takes effort from Zooropa or POP is just not gonna happen.  They couldn't even pull off Electrical Storm without it being a train wreck musically no way do I see them being able to nail a POP song.

Offline timmerweb

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »
I just wanted to add in my support for this thread.  Pop is my second favourite U2 album, so of course I would be thrilled to see some Pop songs make the cut.

If I could only pick 1:
 - Gone

Then following closely
 - Mofo
 - Do You Feel Love
 - Discotheque
 - Miami
 - Last Night on Earth

Ones I'd be disappointed if they chose:
 - Staring at the Sun
 - Wake up Dead Men

-Tim

Offline wailingechoes

« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
I think this is one of their great albums . . . not a commonly held sentiment - even by the band, I'm afraid. It would be great to hear "Do You Feel Loved" - one of Adam Clayton's best grooves.

I would also welcome a return of "Staring at the Sun"; the full band, electric version.

Offline Bono Mob

• Babyface
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
Yes, Please!
And provided The Edge has another gorgeous 12-string Rickenbacker to destroy, Gone as well!

+1

I'm all for Edge bustin' up expensive stuff in the name of my entertainment.

I was front stage on the floor during the GONE guitar smash. I had to do a double check to see if what I saw was real. Yep. Amazing.

I saw Popmart in person twice - from 2 different angles in the same stadium. MOFO using the 360 stage would absolutely rock the house. I am even thinking as the start of the encore. Imagine the people running back from the rest rooms as they hear the opening of MOFO.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
Absolutely disgraceful that they do not play anything from their greatest album.  ;)

Actually, even if they didn't play anything from it but Bono stood front stage one night and just said "you know what U2 fans, although we are not going to play anything from it tonight, we want to apologize for all these years of disregarding this album. We realze now that we have been wrong all along, Pop is a FANTASTIC album, one of our best pieces of work actually".  :D :D

Of course, ripping into Gone, Mofo, Last Night On Earth, Please, Miami or Discotheque right after saying this would be even better  ;D

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »
Yes, Please!
And provided The Edge has another gorgeous 12-string Rickenbacker to destroy, Gone as well!

+1

I'm all for Edge bustin' up expensive stuff in the name of my entertainment.

I was front stage on the floor during the GONE guitar smash. I had to do a double check to see if what I saw was real. Yep. Amazing.

SO. LUCKY. Can you describe it a bit for us? I've always thought that was one of the best, most insane Edge moment ever.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
Umm... we are all aware that Edge didn't smash the guitar to be 'cool' but because he was pi**ed off that they had played the song craply (in his view), right?

Offline cluttercoco

« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »
Something from Pop please!!! Songs such as "Please", "Gone", "Last Night on earth" would be so great to hear again!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2011, 03:12:49 PM »
Edge threw a temper tantrum?! :o

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
Umm... we are all aware that Edge didn't smash the guitar to be 'cool' but because he was pi**ed off that they had played the song craply (in his view), right?

Yes, I know, which is why it's 100% funnier. Because Edge throwing a temper tantrum is HYSTERICAL.

Because really, U2 playing a song badly is like another band playing beyond their best. :D

Edge threw a temper tantrum?! :o

Yeah, MG, here ya go, towards the end. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In the Bonus stuff on the DVD, there is footage of Edge going back and yelling at Larry (one version I heard was because Larry ended the song too early, another that it just sounded bad to Edge because he's an anal perfectionist) and it's so sad because Larry's shoulders slump. Note to self: Never pi*s off Edge!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »
Wow. Edge has an anger issue.