Poll

Should U2 finally dust off a song from this album to play on U2360?

Yes
No

Author Topic: The "Play SOMETHING from Pop" Campaign  (Read 53656 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: The "Play SOMETHING from Pop" Campaign
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2010, 08:28:12 AM »
U2 have literally crafted a complex instrument of torture by creating the tour which is the most appropriate to play Pop songs on since Pop, then not playing them. Disco ball? Check. Over the top lights system? Check. Suit of lights which Bono says goodbye to? Check.

The playing of HMTMKMKM is just added torture and dropping in the Discotheque snippet and even "Life During Wartime" snippet (An INCREDIBLY common snippet in Discotheque on PopMart) are just added bursts of pain.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »
Dear U2 (Bono)

Since it's not a greatest hits tour (Course it is) why not replace all the singles from ATYCLB & BOMB with the singles from Pop? Or just play Gone..... just something for us Popites, what harm can a bit of lovey dovey stuff do? You gave the October herd a Xmas gift from the Gods (and then had Jay 2 da zzzzzzz talk all over it and here I am thinkin you'd lost your sense of irony - what a hoot!!!!) So please something more than those damn snippets everyone seems so fond of, some people just love a good tease I guess - never my thing,  just be bad ass for 3-4 minutes and play a Pop song and we'll leave you in peace you lazy, lazy man ;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:50 AM »
Essentially, what happened this tour is, they took out the "heart of darkness" section from the setlist, that's been around for a long time. It was usually the Bullet The Blue Sky section of the show, somewhere in the 2. 3rd of the concerts, and it worked to give focus and contrast all the big hymns they played in the encore, with the necessary anger, pain an fear, so those hymns and singalongs can be as uplifting as possible. Popmart was a real treat in this sense (followed closely by ZooTV), as you had three aggressive/dark songs (Miami, Bullet, Please) to then go into Streets. That was good professional planning.

I think taking out Bullet the Blue Sky was a mistake if only for this reason. Now, with no really dark song in the set, there's no contrast or weight to proceedings, and it becomes a little like a U2 playlist for the drive home...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:00:43 AM by satellitedog01 »

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think taking out Bullet the Blue Sky was a mistake if only for this reason. Now, with no really dark song in the set, there's no contrast or weight to proceedings, and it becomes a little like a U2 playlist for the drive home...

I feel that way entirely! I feel like this setlist is poorly designed...there is little cohesion between the different sets and the songs lack flow. I can't stand Crazy next to Sunday Bloody Sunday. I know they share themes, albeit through different lenses, but their moods are just SO opposite each other. It's jarring in an extremely unpleasant way.

On the flip side, if you were to from Crazy to say, Last Night On Earth, or Angels, or Discotheque, or Do You Feel Loved, or Playboy Mansion or even Wake Up Dead Man, well, then, that would segue nicely methinks!

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »

I feel that way entirely! I feel like this setlist is poorly designed...there is little cohesion between the different sets and the songs lack flow. I can't stand Crazy next to Sunday Bloody Sunday. I know they share themes, albeit through different lenses, but their moods are just SO opposite each other. It's jarring in an extremely unpleasant way.

On the flip side, if you were to from Crazy to say, Last Night On Earth, or Angels, or Discotheque, or Do You Feel Loved, or Playboy Mansion or even Wake Up Dead Man, well, then, that would segue nicely methinks!

Totally agree, it does seem like one big encore to me, which for some I'm sure, is a good thing.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2010, 12:27:18 PM »
Essentially, what happened this tour is, they took out the "heart of darkness" section from the setlist, that's been around for a long time. It was usually the Bullet The Blue Sky section of the show, somewhere in the 2. 3rd of the concerts, and it worked to give focus and contrast all the big hymns they played in the encore, with the necessary anger, pain an fear, so those hymns and singalongs can be as uplifting as possible. Popmart was a real treat in this sense (followed closely by ZooTV), as you had three aggressive/dark songs (Miami, Bullet, Please) to then go into Streets. That was good professional planning.

I would disagree a little bit, satellitedog.  I can see what you mean about taking out the really dark song(s), such as Bullet.  But I wouldn't call Miami dark or aggressive.  Agreed that Please is full of angst and pleading.  But I think that is the reason they have kept one song slot on this tour to have that either angst or pain in it... Bad fills that slot sometimes, EBW has that pain/struggle, I think the new Mercy has that all is not right/ struggle feel to it and Boy Falls From the Sky as well.  So, it would seem to me that they've kept not a trio as before as you stated, but limited it to one or max. two songs.

Also, I don't see the encores as being as anthemic or hymn-like now either.  I would place One in the struggle/ angst/ trying to reach further category.  (Streets of course is more hymn-like) But also the second encore feels very angst-ridden to me with  WOWY and MoS.  (even UV and HMTHKMKM do not seem like straight upbeat songs but have a twist, as struggle or an ironic side to them.)

What do you think?

Boom Cha!

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »
They need to just play Mofo already....they know they want to.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
If we make the entire audience sing "BOOM CHA BOOM CHA DISCOTEQUE" and do the dance from the video for a while you reckon they just give up and start play it? :P

It's a good idea....now how do we do it???

Well, you start with your legs about a shoulder width apart, and keep you forearms at right angles with your elbows.

You pull back with a 'HUH' type motion, and then cross your arms at 45 degrees to each other across your chest, and return them to the perpendicular start position.

Once you're comfortable with that, you can add a pelvic thrust or two.

Repeat.

LMAO! How priceless would that be if the whole GA - no - the whole stadium did that! Synchronized Boom Cha-ing. Oh now I wanna do that sooo bad!!

Not the entire stadium ;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »

I would disagree a little bit, satellitedog.  I can see what you mean about taking out the really dark song(s), such as Bullet.  But I wouldn't call Miami dark or aggressive.  Agreed that Please is full of angst and pleading.  But I think that is the reason they have kept one song slot on this tour to have that either angst or pain in it... Bad fills that slot sometimes, EBW has that pain/struggle, I think the new Mercy has that all is not right/ struggle feel to it and Boy Falls From the Sky as well.  So, it would seem to me that they've kept not a trio as before as you stated, but limited it to one or max. two songs.

Also, I don't see the encores as being as anthemic or hymn-like now either.  I would place One in the struggle/ angst/ trying to reach further category.  (Streets of course is more hymn-like) But also the second encore feels very angst-ridden to me with  WOWY and MoS.  (even UV and HMTHKMKM do not seem like straight upbeat songs but have a twist, as struggle or an ironic side to them.)

What do you think?

Well, first of all, while I agree with EBW and Boy Falls... being in a similar vein, they are not yet solid live staples, so I cannot consider them in this thread, maybe on the next leg of tour. On the other end of the spectrum, One has been such a standard number for such a long time, I don't think it's the same song it started out as (quite a bit like WOWY), it is emotional and a struggle, but a bit too familiar. I disagree with Bad being on the dark side. I know it comes from a dark place but it's uplifting all the way and a joy to the heart. :-)

Have to disagree about Miami. It has rather bleak lyrics served with a side-dish of silly/absurd humor, it's not lighthearted, if only in an idiotic superficial  way, but the live performances were roaring with the same anger and confusion and wonder, Bullet conveys, that is, the contrast between the richness and artifice and waste of American iconography. Elvis Ate America could be the third brother to Miami and Bullet by the way.

Hold Me Thrill Me seems to be here for some token rock'n'roll fun, and as a gift to hardcore '90s fans. Ultraviolet could fit the bill, but it's very much a sing-along tune (also lets not forget Some bands members hated Ultraviolet's Baby-baby-baby on the first listens, as it was also dabbling in irony from their viewpoint, it was the first time Bono used Baby in an excessive way)

The last encore is surprisingly dark, I agree, but it does not serve the purpose in that place, and MOS is also a singalong tune. On the whole, I miss there being an "emotional prism" to the songs, that turns all the colours into one, or the other way around disperses the single beam of light into a rainbow. This may sound cheesy, but I think it's a workable analogy to the string of darker songs present in earlier tour setlists.
I feel this tour is missing a lot of opportunities, and seemingly without reason. This is the first time I felt this, and I cannot really get into 360°as whole because of that. I simply don't feel it.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »
Personally, I think the setlist this tour is substantially more structured than about 90% of U2 tours. Certainly better structured than ZooTV (Where there was a working structure but it utterly abandoned its 'themes' after the first few songs), Elevation or Vertigo. PopMart... eh, debateable. But I can very much see the order that they're striving at. It becomes particularly clear how tight it is when they tinker with it- they managed to remove TUF without harming it but when they try to substitute Pride for SBS, it just doesn't have the same impact and weight- Pride works much better earlier in the setlist, as they now realise., or else between SBS and MLK as it was on the first European leg.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
I WANT SOME POP!!!!

See what I did there with the colors?  ;)

Pop and PopMart are too awesome for words. I think PopMart could be my favorite tour ever. It even beats ZooTV for me. PLEASE!!!!! (see what I did there again?  ;) :D) Play some POP!!!!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »
I WANT SOME POP!!!!

Moi aussi! :D
I disagree with liking PopMart better though... but it's my opinion...

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »
sure why not  ;D

bobplaysthedrums

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »
How about something like this.

1. Return Of The Stingray Guitar
   2. Magnificent