Author Topic: Will.i.am Producing the next album? Hmmmm  (Read 13059 times)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Will.i.am Producing the next album? Hmmmm
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »
Hey look what I found from 2 years ago.  ;D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RiverEuphrates

• Babyface
  • dee nau-nau, dee nau nau-nau (J Swallo)
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
I heard Will.i.am interviewed on NPR last week, the interviewer stated that he was producing the next U2 album.  The interview did nothing to change my mind- I don't think he is that great.  He was hyped up for all this no. 1 'hits' with the 'mega group Black Eyed Peas'- is that really a big deal?  I mean, Britney Spears had plenty of 'hits' too. Is being no. 1 really an endgame onto itself?

In the bigger scheme, most of all communication is visual- I'm not an ageist, I think age is often an abstract- but ca. 50 year old guys are just not going to fit the culture that Will.i.am works in. 

I suppose it's mostly wishful thinking but I think the Will.i.am production will ultimately be scaled back and not be a full album.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
I just checked the Billboard Top 40.  It seems that nowadays the top songs are by "Artist A featuring Artist B".

So if will.i.am. produces U2, it might be more commercially appealing to credit the song as "U2 featuring wll.i.am."

It might have a better pull with the younger audience nowadays.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

J

They very well might.

Could they become THAT desperate for a "young audience" ?

I guess I don't see the fixation,  how can a bunch of people whose net worth might be collectively in the billions be so insecure ?

Go back to the days of post-War Pre-TUF, do something adventurous, screw commercial concerns

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2010, 05:38:57 PM »
Heard Black Eyed Peas' new song and Niki Minaj's "Check It Out" with will.i.am today and am aghast. I thought BEP were pretty awful all along but now will.i.am is just ripped off classic songs and slapping a cheap lo fi beat on top of it. Time Of My Life and Video Killed The Radio Star have both been cheapened.

All that hack is capable of doing is writing dumbass lyrics (My Humps and Got It From My Mama) to be sung in auto-tune by the Duchess of Pee (Fergie) over a ripped off sample.

He should stay far far away from U2. Playing keyboards on Magnificent and Crazy Tonight are as close as he should ever get to U2.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
Heard Black Eyed Peas' new song and Niki Minaj's "Check It Out" with will.i.am today and am aghast. I thought BEP were pretty awful all along but now will.i.am is just ripped off classic songs and slapping a cheap lo fi beat on top of it. Time Of My Life and Video Killed The Radio Star have both been cheapened.

All that hack is capable of doing is writing dumbass lyrics (My Humps and Got It From My Mama) to be sung in auto-tune by the Duchess of Pee (Fergie) over a ripped off sample.

He should stay far far away from U2. Playing keyboards on Magnificent and Crazy Tonight are as close as he should ever get to U2.

Don't worry, I really doubt that Will.i.am will be producing u2's next album... after looking up exactly what he said, i found that we've heard it from only one source (which was the sun), and it wasn't even a statement he made - there was no quote saying "yep, i'm producing their next record", at most all he said was "I'm working with them"...
... but he 'worked' with them on NLOTH, it seems like the Sun just blew his comment out of proportion to make it seem more dramatic.
Then, all the other news sites took the sun's headlines, and, still without any direct quotes from will.i.am, reported that he is producing the next album. Sure, they use quotes from him about u2, but they're all saying stuff like "Bono's a great guy" rather than what work they're actually doing together. The evidence is so vague that you have reports like this
stating will.i.am simply wants to produce the next album, not that he actually is.

It's true Bono has mentioned working with will.i.am, but only as one of several people u2 is working with to create the 'club' album - the tracks will.i.am showed to George Clooney could have involved will.i.am as much as Crazy tonight did - as in, not much. What's more, as far as we know u2 aim to release the Danger Mouse album first - that's what Bono said most recently - so even if will.i.am produces some songs, it won't be on their next album (unless the 2 projects are merged).

Look, if you search 'u2' and 'new album' on google news, everyone's talking about will.i.am. But they're all parroting a report that had NO quote from will.i.am suggesting he was actually producing the entire next album. The last thing we've heard from the people that matter (i.e. the band) is Bono saying DM is next. It could all change of course, but based purely on the evidence we have at the moment, it seems clear that there's little weight to will.i.am's story, but far more for Danger Mouse. So i wouldn't worry, i really think Will.i.am's contribution to u2's next album will be minimal  :P

Offline RiverEuphrates

• Babyface
  • dee nau-nau, dee nau nau-nau (J Swallo)
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »
What's Michael Buble's producer doing these days...?