Author Topic: Will.i.am Producing the next album? Hmmmm  (Read 13068 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Will.i.am Producing the next album? Hmmmm
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the Rubin stuff would have been gold but they are too interested in atmospherics for it to have been released.

I always thought that the Rubin material would have sounded like All Because of You, Window in the Skies, and Stuck in a Moment, which is why I never shed a tear over it being shelved.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
Maybe this will sound like what DMB's album Stand Up sounds like...

Offline Big Girls Are Best

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »
My vote is for Bruce Dickinson to produce the next U2 album.

"I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

Mofoface

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 07:15:59 PM »
I'm interested to see how they managed to convince Larry to agree on this.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »
Me too.

Why not have T Bone Burnett produce?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
asking Will.I.Am to produce your album is like asking Tom Brady to help with your baseball swing.   will.i.am is a hip hop artist and producer and doesnt know jack about rock recording. this will only steer them away from what they do best. U2 for crying out loud stick with layered delay structure eg. the joshua tree, Uf, and like the movie says " build it and they will come

Tom Brady actually got drafted by the Montreal Expos in 1995 after high school so he definately could help with your baseball swing!

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »
asking Will.I.Am to produce your album is like asking Tom Brady to help with your baseball swing.   will.i.am is a hip hop artist and producer and doesnt know jack about rock recording. this will only steer them away from what they do best. U2 for crying out loud stick with layered delay structure eg. the joshua tree, Uf, and like the movie says " build it and they will come

Tom Brady actually got drafted by the Montreal Expos in 1995 after high school so he definately could help with your baseball swing!

That's because Tom Brady is awesome.

Plus, didn't Will.i.am produce IGCIIDGCT on NLOTH?  If he did that, I'm not worried at all (it's my favorite song on the album and should have been the first single) and more excited than nervous.

Offline Mirai

• Babyface
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2010, 03:11:00 AM »
I suppose everyone complaining about this was a huge Brian Eno fan before TUF...

I say trust that U2 know what they're doing, I don't see any of your bands charting after 30 years.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2010, 04:17:05 AM »

That's because Tom Brady is awesome.

Plus, didn't Will.i.am produce IGCIIDGCT on NLOTH?  If he did that, I'm not worried at all (it's my favorite song on the album and should have been the first single) and more excited than nervous.

I agree... Crazy Tonight should have been the lead single off NLOTH. It's also one of my favorite songs.

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 04:23:48 AM »
"It's the end of the world as we know it and I [DON'T] feel fine:P

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 04:32:33 AM »
Oh God.....If Will.I.Am. produces their album, then it's going to be even harder to convince my friends that U2 is a good band.

Lol, I know right!?

I always thought that the Rubin material would have sounded like All Because of You, Window in the Skies, and Stuck in a Moment, which is why I never shed a tear over it being shelved.

Same here...

I wonder is Bono's house is constantly filled with celebrities and the pretty people.

They were probably discussing how best to save the world.

Ha! Totally, with alot of artists who have talent, there comes a point where they crawl up their own bottoms and cant tell s**t from gold...I hope this is not happening with U2

F Off Will I Am, don't go anywhere near my favourite band.

I lol'd; and agreed!  ;)

Offline SirLoin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
Doesn't it seem to be that Larry has second guessed all the band's good instincts?  Like didn't he strongly protest the direction they were going on Achtung Baby?  My motto is "Liste to the Edge."

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
Simply because this all confuses me-- can someone please explain exactly what a producer brings to the table?
In the past there was Lillywhite,Eno,Lanois,Rubin, etc. In recent years they keepflip flopping the mix. Not only producers but also photographers,etc.
The previous mix proved to work. In business, if something works- you do not keep reinventing the wheel when you know what works. So I think that may be why so many are possibly questioning the rationale behind what is going on now.

satellitedog01

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
Producers are there to help bands clarify their ideas, to help eliminate dead end directions and navigate them through, focus and manage the recording sessions (in U2's case writing sessions too) creatively. Also some producers have signature sounds or recording techniques/environments that some artists prefer, or that become marketable through one big name artist, then get copied...

Sound engineers do the technical side of the job, but many times engineers act as producers too, if they are of the creative kind, or if it's they are asked to produce. :-)
Eno i think is better at getting the initial ideas right, or getting them distilled, and sparking new directions and conceptualizing the writing process, but the albums U2 made with him don't really sound that good to me. He (Lanois seems to be innocent in this charge based on his recent Black Dub and Neil Young projects) always manages to round off the necessary edges too, polishing songs to an unnatural sheen. U2 sounds good when they are dirty, and Flood was great in that sense. I enjoyed his sound the most.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
Dont agree. My second fav U2 album is The Unforgettable Fire. Which was, of course, an Eno produced one... or influenced at least.