Author Topic: Will.i.am Producing the next album? Hmmmm  (Read 13054 times)

Borack

Re: Will.i.am Producing the next album? Hmmmm
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2010, 02:04:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Producers are there to help bands clarify their ideas, to help eliminate dead end directions and navigate them through, focus and manage the recording sessions (in U2's case writing sessions too) creatively. Also some producers have signature sounds or recording techniques/environments that some artists prefer, or that become marketable through one big name artist, then get copied...

Sound engineers do the technical side of the job, but many times engineers act as producers too, if they are of the creative kind, or if it's they are asked to produce. :-)
Eno i think is better at getting the initial ideas right, or getting them distilled, and sparking new directions and conceptualizing the writing process, but the albums U2 made with him don't really sound that good to me. He (Lanois seems to be innocent in this charge based on his recent Black Dub and Neil Young projects) always manages to round off the necessary edges too, polishing songs to an unnatural sheen. U2 sounds good when they are dirty, and Flood was great in that sense. I enjoyed his sound the most.

I'm not certain that I agree with you, but I do appreciate your remark about the dirty or unvarnished grittiness to some of their best stuff. But apart from that, I started writing to say thanks for the eloquent explanation of the roles, contribution and influence of producers.  I learned some valuable stuff.

satellitedog01

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2010, 05:25:46 AM »
Dont agree. My second fav U2 album is The Unforgettable Fire. Which was, of course, an Eno produced one... or influenced at least.

Right, TUF and Passengers are exceptions for me too, I should've written that.
I was talking about the 2000s stuff and Joshua Tree, which sounds less great than the songs deserve...

Producers are there to help bands clarify their ideas, to help eliminate dead end directions and navigate them through, focus and manage the recording sessions (in U2's case writing sessions too) creatively. Also some producers have signature sounds or recording techniques/environments that some artists prefer, or that become marketable through one big name artist, then get copied...

Sound engineers do the technical side of the job, but many times engineers act as producers too, if they are of the creative kind, or if it's they are asked to produce. :-)
Eno i think is better at getting the initial ideas right, or getting them distilled, and sparking new directions and conceptualizing the writing process, but the albums U2 made with him don't really sound that good to me. He (Lanois seems to be innocent in this charge based on his recent Black Dub and Neil Young projects) always manages to round off the necessary edges too, polishing songs to an unnatural sheen. U2 sounds good when they are dirty, and Flood was great in that sense. I enjoyed his sound the most.

I'm not certain that I agree with you, but I do appreciate your remark about the dirty or unvarnished grittiness to some of their best stuff. But apart from that, I started writing to say thanks for the eloquent explanation of the roles, contribution and influence of producers.  I learned some valuable stuff.

You are welcome, and the Eno part is my personal opinion naturally. I like him more as an ideas man at the writing phase.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2010, 07:50:02 AM »
Thank you very much for the explanation!

satellitedog01

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
You're welcome, and I'd actually love to hear a T-Bone Burnett produced U2 record, as unlikely it is to happen. Maybe when they sell their chart-climbing gear.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2010, 07:39:18 AM »
You're welcome, and I'd actually love to hear a T-Bone Burnett produced U2 record, as unlikely it is to happen. Maybe when they sell their chart-climbing gear.

A T-Bone Burnett produced U2 album most likely will sound like a Volume 2 of Rattle & Hum. I guess that's not what they intend to come up with. They should have tried that at the time of HTDAAB. Keefus Ciancia on keyboards instead of Jacknife Lee. Now that would have been something.

I'd love their next album to sound too much like Danger Mouse much more than to sound boring and radio friendly.

As for William, for me it would be OK if he performed a rap cameo on one of their songs, but I wouldn't entrust hip hop producers with guiding the writing sessions because I don't want Bono to come across as a ranting idi*t that goes on and on about stuff nobody really cares about.

satellitedog01

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
I don't think T-Bone would help them make a Rattle & Hum part 2 at this stage of their lives (both T-Bone and U2's)
It would be something more laid back and subtly beautiful. Probably more in the vein of The Million Dollar Hotel songs, with a more natural instrumentation. Of course this is just theory, and it probably won't happen.
However, I'd also really wish they'd try to work with Nigel Godrich at some point.

Offline TheSceneoftheAccident

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I've been in every black hole
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2010, 10:14:15 AM »
Achtung Baby 2

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »
Achtung Baby 2

Yes please

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2010, 10:48:37 AM »
No, Actung Baby 2. I want something completely new that we have not heard before. The band must evolve.

Offline TheSceneoftheAccident

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I've been in every black hole
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »
I meant Achtung Baby 2 in that I think it'll take people by surprise in the chance of direction.

I also don't want another album which sounds like it. One of the reasons it's my favourite U2 album is the way it stands out in their back catalogue.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2010, 10:54:57 PM »
I don't believe there is a producer out there now that could tell U2 what to do.  It is one of the final stages of band debasement - when no one is better than and/or knows more than they do.  I think Rick Rubin tried and they fired him.  Eno and Lanois tried and they still brought in Lillywhite.  Whatever happens, it's never the band's fault.  Remember that Pop's problems were because of Flood or Howie B. not 4 giant egos and some much less well known producers.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2010, 04:07:14 AM »
Such negativity here. I dont think U2 is on the way to debasement. You people sometimes really pi*s me off.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2010, 06:04:19 AM »
I still scream from the mountain tops that Magnificent should have been the lead single!

Plus, didn't Will.i.am produce IGCIIDGCT on NLOTH?  If he did that, I'm not worried at all (it's my favorite song on the album and should have been the first single) and more excited than nervous.
[/quote]

I agree... Crazy Tonight should have been the lead single off NLOTH. It's also one of my favorite songs.
[/quote]

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »
Such negativity here. I dont think U2 is on the way to debasement. You people sometimes really pi*s me off.

Yeah.  I know as U2 fans, we're inherently critical.  But how about some optimism?

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2010, 02:41:51 AM »
I don't believe there is a producer out there now that could tell U2 what to do.  It is one of the final stages of band debasement - when no one is better than and/or knows more than they do.  I think Rick Rubin tried and they fired him.  Eno and Lanois tried and they still brought in Lillywhite.  Whatever happens, it's never the band's fault.  Remember that Pop's problems were because of Flood or Howie B. not 4 giant egos and some much less well known producers.

How would you know anyway?